Thanks, great game. Long time Open(Xcom) player here

HI, this is great game. Not perfect but so great that i dont have to play openXcom for now. :cool:

Fan of orginal X-com series since 1994...

BUT please someone hire better artist, paper doll unit's and horrible lab and other base menu pics are too amateur for great game like xenonauts. :(

Other minor things is lack of random feeling, orginal x-com was very random. Every barn was opened with bazooka just for case. Xenonauts feel's bit too same in every battle. :confused:

But those are minor things , maybe patch or two more will make it better. (orginal x-com was buggy first too) :)

-thank you for great game.

And greetings froms Finland :)

Glad you liked the game. Sorry you didn't like the artwork. Aliens not camping in barns as often as the original is an AI thing, and, I believe, intentional.

I kinda miss that too, I know it sounds weird but I used to throw grenades and fire rockets at every structure in the farm map JUST in case... 60% of the time there was a an alien camping in there waiting for my soldiers ¬¬

Just found openxcom.org , what a great job they have done with ufo defense, similar to what 1:13 did for ja2, all kinds of new bells whistles and mods, kind of alternating between it and xenonauts. way to much fun!!

I`ll admit I`m not a huge fan of the art either, but it`s actually not hard to add different backgrounds to the game.

It`s a pity that Xenonauts never had a better budget for some of the graphics - this could be a really enticing game for a lot of people if the graphics, especially on the battle map was a little more `full` or `immersive`. Something like Silent Storm graphics would`ve gone a long way. Many will be put off by the `spreadsheet` look. Also a little more sound would also be nice.

It`s a great game, but sometimes feels like a rose hidden by thorns! However those patient enough will be pulled in...

Edited by Seafireliv

Yeah, better graphics probably would have come with a better engine that supported three dimensions. Shots are all sorts of messed up about 10 percent of the time (corners, ceilings, etc). Plus the AI cheats like crazy about knowing where your xenonauts are and what they are equipped with and how many TUs they have remaining. And that's not just on insane either heh. At least once you are used to it you can abuse the AI's cheating to prevent it from doing certain things or make it do something silly.

Really wanted like this game, but the air combat was a total turn off for me. Did not feel realistic or fun in the slightest. After seeing that I was just in no mood to try what I can only assume from various gameplay videos to be excellent turn-based combat.

The UI certainly did not help. Lack of polish, and too slow.

You guys should take a look at how miniatures games like Star Wars: X-Wing handles aerial combat in a turn-based setting, if you really want to go down the route of having interception as an critical component of the game - though I personally think this is silly and unnecessary.

The good thing about overly simplistic air combat of past games was you were able to maintain the illusion that a human made fighter aircraft had any chance of surviving an attack against a super maneuverable, space-capable alien craft with vastly better technology. Once you stop and think about it, you quickly realize that no one would ever take them by surprise, let alone shoot them down with measly sidewinder missiles.

Anyways it's a good start, but this feels too much like a fan project aping the original X-COM than a professionally made game in its own right.

Edited by Iodine

The good thing about overly simplistic air combat of past games was you were able to maintain the illusion that a human made fighter aircraft had any chance of surviving an attack against a super maneuverable, space-capable alien craft with vastly better technology.

You mean the super manuverable UFOs that are designed to opperate in a vacuum and performs rather poorly in an atmosphere that they have to spend time modifying their ships to be able to even fly in our atmosphere as explained in a reserch blurb after you recover your first shot down ufo?

Those UFOs? Yeah, they explain that. In that blurb I mentioned.

Well, of course when talking aircraft from a species other than this planet we could go into all kinds of scenarios...

In this case, it is very plausible that alien atmospheric flying technology (in our EARTH atmosphere) is not optimal. This is why Human aircraft which is indigenous to Earth actually has a fair chance against them while the Aliens adjust. Regardless of their Tech, Aliens aren`t gods and have their weaknesses they too have to overcome. It gives Humans a chance, no matter how small.

Pretty much what sentinel said.

p.s by the way I LOVE how they`ve done the air combat. It`s the one thing I wish all the Xcoms did. So i guess I`m a bit bias.

Edited by Seafireliv