Tutorial - how to add a new weapon.

• 1 month later...

Михаил, раскажите пожалуста как из этого сделать мод ? сделать новые файлы с нашим оружием и разместить их в папке /mods/modenames ?

Спасибо

Mikhail please tell me (I`m a noob) how to make our weapon in the separate mod ? we must to make the new files {like in your`s toutorial} and place them in to subdirectory /mods/modenames ? and add the modinfo file ?

THX

My advice is start a new thread asking for help and tell us what you want to do, what you've done, what you've tried to do. If you can include bits of code or even attach appropriate files (using a suitible filehost) that would help, and me or someone else can take a look and see what needs doing.

I know where is my problem. If I change something and return it back in weapons.xml (in the khall`s carbine simple mod) by LibreOffise or OpenOffice spreadsheets, it`s doesn`t working. so i can use onle notepad or note++ . may be somebody can tell me why ?

I know where is my problem. If I change something and return it back in weapons.xml (in the khall`s carbine simple mod) by LibreOffise or OpenOffice spreadsheets, it`s doesn`t working. so i can use onle notepad or note++ . may be somebody can tell me why ?

make your editing at notepad++. The only file you can trust to excel is researches.xml. this is my experience. Any other program then excel itself will break the xml files probably.

#@#$%$#!!! I have lost 2 days to find it.... hrrrrrrrrrrrrr :D

if I say how many days I lost just looking for little clues at modding, u just sit and cry..

and if u get and CTD and can't find what is wrong, try online xml file checkers.. and probably a missing weapon picture name error..

thx drages , but i can`t understand the half what did you say ))) but i am trying (and sometimes realy ready to sit and cry)))

what is CTD ? what checkers can I use ?

PS what do you think, how i can make the model of thermobaric explode ? kinetic + firechance or something else ?

Edited by korsss

may be I am very stupid, but (imho) this mod system is real terrible. It was made like a bugfield.

I have this in my logfile (which was hide by the lepricons):

Sun Mar 01 23:33:01 2015: Xenonauts, version .

Sun Mar 01 23:33:01 2015: Pixel Shader Version: ffff0300

Sun Mar 01 23:33:13 2015: ##### : Missing string for label ''

Sun Mar 01 23:33:16 2015: ##### : Missing string for label ''

Sun Mar 01 23:33:16 2015: ##### : Missing string for label 'Undefined'

2 files with the duplicate parameters.... WHY ?

xml without spreadsheet.... WHY ?

sorry, I am really angry )))

Edited by korsss

may be I am very stupid, but (imho) this mod system is real terrible. It was made like a bugfield.

I have this in my logfile:

Sun Mar 01 23:33:01 2015: Xenonauts, version .

Sun Mar 01 23:33:01 2015: Pixel Shader Version: ffff0300

Sun Mar 01 23:33:13 2015: ##### : Missing string for label ''

Sun Mar 01 23:33:16 2015: ##### : Missing string for label ''

Sun Mar 01 23:33:16 2015: ##### : Missing string for label 'Undefined'

2 files with the duplicate parameters.... WHY ?

xml without spredsheet.... WHY ?

sory, I am really angry )))

Why do u care the log file so much? I have the same log file and it works. for now :)

Dont care log file so much.. this is the last step.. you create a weapon and give it to your soldiers hand, go for mission and fire.. and be happy.. the beginning of modding this game is yeah very hard.. you need to give yourself time.. If you want to do it really, after a while you will get use to it and stop making errors.. i can add a new airplane in 10 min with whole images and coding.. but at first weeks i just try to find a bug (probably a missed character which you never can see) for 2-3 days and couldn't find it and remade everything..

yep ) hardships make`s us stronger ))))

but its hard to make something when you can`t understand where is your mistake ))

there is only one good thing )) my english will be better )))

I am bielding the one-shooting rocketlauncher. I have made images, sphere and others to working. I1m trying to make it shoot only one time. It`s perfectly shooting as a rifle. hmmm.... the job will be done, but it is the really terrible system.... CTDmodding system )))

PS is this correct in english ?

The RPO-A "Shmel" (Russian ) (RIF-A "Bumblebee") is a man-portable rocket launcher although it is classified as a flamethrower , (Reactive Infantry Flamethrower). The RPO-A is a single-shot, self-contained tube shaped launcher which operates much like some RPG and LAW rocket launchers. The same person can remove the tube, place it in firing position, and launch the weapon without assistance. After launch, the tube is discarded. All models are externally similar. Each weapon contains a single rocket. The basic rocket is the RPO-A, which has a thermobaric warhead (2.1 kg) with cumulative tip. Range: 1000 m, Sighting range: 600 m. Length: Launcher 920mm, Rocket 700 mm. Weight: Weapon 11kg, Rocket 6.5 kg. For high-explosive impact 93-mm caliber flamethrower not inferior 122-152-mm artillery shells. Guaranteed smitten volume of 80 cubic meters. When shooting on the open end, the area of damage is 50 square meters. RPO`s is the most powerfull weapon of Soviet/Russian ifnantry.

Edited by korsss

yep ) hardships make`s us stronger ))))

but its hard to make something when you can`t understand where is your mistake ))

there is only one good thing )) my english will be better )))

English is not so important.. my english is bad enough :)... just work on working mods and use copy/paste rather then creating something on your own..

Why do u care the log file so much? I have the same log file and it works. for now :)

Dont care log file so much.. this is the last step.. you create a weapon and give it to your soldiers hand, go for mission and fire.. and be happy.. the beginning of modding this game is yeah very hard.. you need to give yourself time.. If you want to do it really, after a while you will get use to it and stop making errors.. i can add a new airplane in 10 min with whole images and coding.. but at first weeks i just try to find a bug (probably a missed character which you never can see) for 2-3 days and couldn't find it and remade everything..

may you tell me how ? ctep by step. I`m trying to add MI 12 (V 12 ) heli, but now i can,t add the old avaks (((. mod is ready, but don`t working.... thx

I'm trying to implement a weapon and I got the soldier loadout screen part down, the only part I'm having trouble with on this guide is how to make it show up in the soldiers hands on the battlefield. I read that part of the guide and I can't understand what Mikhail is talking bout and how to do what he is talking about. I downloaded the program he linked but I don't know how to use it. Since the instructions on the link and this guide aren't clear enough for me. As for the soldier spectre file he keeps talking about thats where I am getting lost at, I can't understand how to do that since the instructions aren't clear enough for me.

Basically what I am trying to accomplish is use the Pistol spectre I guess and apply it for the weapon that is a pistol but use the games vanilla pistol spectres for it. But i'm getting stuck at how to make the soldier_spectre file Mikhail keeps talking bout for my weapon, and I don't even know how to use the program he linked since the instructions there aren't too helpful there either. Can anyone please help me?

I'm trying to implement a weapon and I got the soldier loadout screen part down, the only part I'm having trouble with on this guide is how to make it show up in the soldiers hands on the battlefield. I read that part of the guide and I can't understand what Mikhail is talking bout and how to do what he is talking about. I downloaded the program he linked but I don't know how to use it. Since the instructions on the link and this guide aren't clear enough for me. As for the soldier spectre file he keeps talking about thats where I am getting lost at, I can't understand how to do that since the instructions aren't clear enough for me.

Basically what I am trying to accomplish is use the Pistol spectre I guess and apply it for the weapon that is a pistol but use the games vanilla pistol spectres for it. But i'm getting stuck at how to make the soldier_spectre file Mikhail keeps talking bout for my weapon, and I don't even know how to use the program he linked since the instructions there aren't too helpful there either. Can anyone please help me?

1) Download the .pfp unpacker and copy the xen_unpack and xen_unpack_log .bats as well as the node folder to your xenonauts/assets directory.

2) Copy the xen_unpack .bat file and paste it *as a shortcut* in the assets folder.

3) Right-click on the shortcut you just made and go to 'properties'.

4) In the 'target' field, add a space at the end and then: GC_UnitsXML.pfp. Click apply and ok.

5) Run the shortcut. It will open with a command console and if everything is running correctly will begin displaying output of the files being unpacked. Leave it until it finishes.

6) The unpacked spectres are now in the assets/units/ folder. You'll be able to find the soldier_spectre .xmls in the relevant armour/weapon combo folders.

1) Download the .pfp unpacker and copy the xen_unpack and xen_unpack_log .bats as well as the node folder to your xenonauts/assets directory.

2) Copy the xen_unpack .bat file and paste it *as a shortcut* in the assets folder.

3) Right-click on the shortcut you just made and go to 'properties'.

4) In the 'target' field, add a space at the end and then: GC_UnitsXML.pfp. Click apply and ok.

5) Run the shortcut. It will open with a command console and if everything is running correctly will begin displaying output of the files being unpacked. Leave it until it finishes.

6) The unpacked spectres are now in the assets/units/ folder. You'll be able to find the soldier_spectre .xmls in the relevant armour/weapon combo folders.

This worked! Thank you very much for taking the time to explain it for me I appreciate it a lot!

• 4 years later...

I have a question regarding the spectre files when creating a new weapon. I am adding a handheld weapon and all of the assets are working as far the the ui and ground is concerned. However when I create a unit/armor/new_handheld type folder, and add the spectre to that along with new .png files displaying that weapon it is not working. I have tried renaming the path in the spectre file to reflect the "new_handheld" as well and the character is not showing up at all in the game view. Either the game is unable to find the image files, or it truly is a specter. :P

Do I need to do something with all the xml files that go along with it for each unit position/state? I see a reference to a toga_002*.png or something type image, but I'm unsure of what that is referring to.

Any help would be much appreciated.