Memorial Wall - Help Needed

Ah, unfortunate. Is getting fired an option?

[/Quote]

Hm, I'd rather not... :)

How about this? :) If you have a modified Lua, that could still be included.

No I don't. What needs to be changed is move name's X right to match progressbars' X and add flag so it's Y is centered in relation to name and X in relation to icons below. You'll manage, I'm sure. :P

Edited by Skitso

Do we need other flags than the countries that are in the soldiernames.xml? Like if there are some preorder characters with unique nationalities or something...

Only ones I can think of would be the countries Ogaburan added in Xtended background. (The mod he based it one got added to the game I believe however? So only nations he added [iran last time I checked] would be needed) But since its a mod you could argue that those flags dont have to be done now, or by you either.

But I do think a generic United Nations flag should be done if as nothing else but a default/fallback flag if one wasnt defined for a given nationality.

Edited by Foehammer343

Only ones I can think of would be the countries Ogaburan added in Xtended background. (The mod he based it one got added to the game I believe however? So only nations he added [iran last time I checked] would be needed) But since its a mod you could argue that those flags dont have to be done now, or by you either.

I added a lot of new nations to Xtended Backgrounds after Goldhawk incorporated an earlier version. Ogaburan has added Iran and split the British up into the different Home Nations since he's taken over. Maybe have a template so modders can add their own flag.

But I do think a generic United Nations flag should be done if as nothing else but a default/fallback flag if one wasnt defined for a given nationality.

This idea gets my vote..

Here's a list of nationalities from the exclusive soldiers: British, German, American, Russian, Danish, Scottish, Canadian, New Zealandean, Singaporean, Japanese, Australian, Philippino, Finnish, Czech, Norwegian, Chinese, Swedish, East German, Indian, Spanish, Dutch, Malaysian, Irish, Italian, Swiss, Brazilian, Slovak, Romanian, Icelandic, Polish.

Interestingly GH allowed (or didn't check) nationalities that did not exist by the game's time. German should be East German or West German, Russian should be Soviet Union and both Czech and Slovak should be Czechoslovakian.

@Solver, nice. I had a plan to make the flags cropped squares so they would be more easily recognizable, but that actually looks just fine.

@bonds0097. There's a small bug: There's no string to refer if soldiers are killed when Charlie is shot down.

Edited by Skitso

I added a lot of new nations to Xtended Backgrounds after Goldhawk incorporated an earlier version. Ogaburan has added Iran and split the British up into the different Home Nations since he's taken over. Maybe have a template so modders can add their own flag.

Well here are all 33 nations that Xtended Background added that arent in base:

Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil*, Bulgaria, Chile, China, Cuba, Egypt, Iceland*, India*, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland*, Israel, Kenya, Malaysia*, Mexico, Morocco, Nigeria, North Korea, Philippines*, Portugal, Rhodesia, Romania, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden*, Switzerland*, Thailand, Turkey, Vietnam, Yugoslavia.

Plus breaking up the UK into England, Wales, Scotland, and Ghurka; I figure using the flag of each nation and the UK's for the Ghurka would be the best bet.

The ten with an asterisk means that a kickstarter also claimed that nation.

And I think some of them have changed their flag since 1979, as an FYI, though using modern flags for Kickstarters would be a nice little distinction

Edited by Foehammer343

@Solver, nice. I had a plan to make the flags cropped squares so they would be more easily recognizable, but that actually looks just fine.

@bonds0097. There's a small bug: There's no string to refer if soldiers are killed when Charlie is shot down.

llunak reported this as well... just to confirm, the soldiers don't show up at all on the casualty list or the string is just the generic 'classified mission'?

Actually I still kinda do need the flags. I have placeholders, but they probably don't look as nice as they could, and I have some missing ones.

llunak reported this as well... just to confirm, the soldiers don't show up at all on the casualty list or the string is just the generic 'classified mission'?

It's the generic string but the location(?) was bugged if I remember correctly. It was too long string to fit in the cell too.

It's the generic string but the location(?) was bugged if I remember correctly. It was too long string to fit in the cell too.

Interesting. If it comes up again, please upload your save and/or take a screenshot of the list.

I'm out until Tuesday but I'll make sure this gets fixed this week and is integrated in whatever the next X:CE HF or Release is. Thanks for reporting the bug.

One thing I'd like is an indicator of what role the soldier had in the memorial wall - this would not only spiff it up with more (easy to add) detail, it would let the player see just how poorly he treats his Assault troopers (or to figure out which trooper he needs to replace, etc).

If you do do the 'full detail information' section of the memorial wall that Theon just talked about, it would be nice to see a full mission or kill list.

One thing I'd like is an indicator of what role the soldier had in the memorial wall - this would not only spiff it up with more (easy to add) detail, it would let the player see just how poorly he treats his Assault troopers (or to figure out which trooper he needs to replace, etc).

If you do do the 'full detail information' section of the memorial wall that Theon just talked about, it would be nice to see a full mission or kill list.

I considered this but it didn't make sense to me given the flexible nature of the role system. You can re-assign roles at will and don't have to use the actual role's loadout.

I considered this but it didn't make sense to me given the flexible nature of the role system. You can re-assign roles at will and don't have to use the actual role's loadout.

I'm not sure why that's an argument for not displaying what role they had when they died.

I'm not sure why that's an argument for not displaying what role they had when they died.

Because I don't think it's meaningful information and isn't worth the space it will take up (if you look at the screenshots, you'll see that there is not much room to spare). That is my opinion.

Sure I can make out the US flag, I am just saying it looks like a low-resolution flag-coloured blob, not an actual flag. You can't put that much detail into 169 pixels. But I still think it is better than nothing and would like to have it :)

I just realized there are no Chinese soldiers in the soldiernames.xml. Odd.

Here's a list of nationalities from the exclusive soldiers: British, German, American, Russian, Danish, Scottish, Canadian, New Zealandean, Singaporean, Japanese, Australian, Philippino, Finnish, Czech, Norwegian, Chinese, Swedish, East German, Indian, Spanish, Dutch, Malaysian, Irish, Italian, Swiss, Brazilian, Slovak, Romanian, Icelandic, Polish.

Point of order, 'guv! New Zealander. ;)

Loving the ideas here. We'll see how all the flags fit, but hopefully we'll be fine.

For Dropship crashes, do people prefer:

Lost in crash of <dropship name>.

or

Shot down near <closest city>.

for the mission string on the casualty wall? The string itself is less important, moreso is whether people want the closest city listed (as with most missions) or the dropship name.