DLC/paid/free

I'd much prefer Goldhawk spent their time and money switching to a different engine and doing a Xenonauts II then add a bunch of content with the crap engine they have now.

This, so much this. They made what I believe to be the greatest modern game since KSP, and did it in an engine I would have thought couldn't handle it. I'd love to see what they could do in a better engine.

Of course, I'm also looking forward to seeing what their next project will actually be.

Also i dont care about graphic... its still better than orginall X-com :)

Best

It's rather silly to compare game from 2014 and game from 1994 in graphics terms. In gameplay wise, there are things that Xenonauts do better and things that X-COM does better.

Of course if 1 million customers buy Xenonauts Chris might be more open to additional content.

From what i read it seems to me Chris is burned out and has enough Xenonauats after 5 years od development. I think even if the sales would justify additional content , i think it wouldnt be good for him or for us if he immediately went on to do it , just motivated by $(which is a valid motivation for work, but imho if you lack any other passion its hard to do something really good). Its clear the game is a work of love and passion , this wouldnt be. Imho a good idea would be a small project inbetween, just take a breath .

I suppose also thats why XCom EW wasnt made by Jake Solomon, after years of dveloping XCOM EU he just had enough , he needed to recharge.

Yes that could solve the problem too...

and really i would pay 10-15 $ for a dlc even when game cost 25$- Why you say beacouse he gets my all support. I cant sit with him and talk hours about the game .. but i can give him ideas and money to support.

For me Ufo is something from my Childhood.. And If i were a milioneer i would give him milon buck to make UFO with Great engoine/graphics, Lots of content...

Thats an admirable attitude, but i wouldnt:) and not sure if many would. Maybe because im short with cash atm. I mean, perosnally, 5 $ for addiaiotnal maps , yea, more , prolly not.

Edited by FireStorm1010

What kind of content could Chris produce that modders haven't done already? New weapons? Dozens have been made. New weapon types? Solver is one the case! Even asset heavy things like map props are being worked on by chaps like Phenakist. I think that the avenues for dlc have already been taken over by the modders.

What kind of content could Chris produce that modders haven't done already? New weapons? Dozens have been made. New weapon types? Solver is one the case! Even asset heavy things like map props are being worked on by chaps like Phenakist. I think that the avenues for dlc have already been taken over by the modders.

Could you please guide me to the link for the Underwater crashsites and missions mod project ;)

But professional team can for example unify everything and change source code drastically. Or add some extra graphic effects. And also official made add-on looks more professional. Mods always looks like someone's fantasy when DLC is official, coherent, full, certified, well-tested. You know what i mean.

It would actually be fairly simple, tech wise.

Simply turn all of the ocean areas into a "underwater" tileset zone. Make props and maps appropriate for an underwater theme. Go!

(We'll ignore the lack of gear suitable for underwater engagement, the entirely different physics required, and so on. TFTD didn't really care much for that stuff either!)

It would actually be fairly simple, tech wise.

Simply turn all of the ocean areas into a "underwater" tileset zone. Make props and maps appropriate for an underwater theme. Go!

This is true but I had the other part in mind:

(We'll ignore the lack of gear suitable for underwater engagement, the entirely different physics required, and so on. TFTD didn't really care much for that stuff either!)

I can't ignore this things and honestly I never liked TFTD (this is my personal taste I know that a lots of people like this).

Edit:And it still requires a lots of time.

Edited by Sentelin

To sum up a Good-balanced polished proffesionall content would be great to see..

Genaraly people want new shiny stuff.. and that s ok .. If you really like something like for example yours car .. you spend days by dasy upgrading it customizing.. etc.. This only that this is a game doest mean that doesnt deserve A Decent DLC,, i dont know maybe with new maps , weapons type etc.. ( personally i would kill to see new Power Armor and I mean really heavy.. eith twin linked autocannon or gatling .. something, maybe powers armor sa it appeard in the " Edge of Tomorrow" dont know... but definatelly I would love/kill to see one...

Of corse modding its great , great thing ..but honestlly if you sepend all of your time doing waht you love( games) and earn money .. that the thing a good content is made..

Best

@Sentelin: My assumption is that if you liked TFTD and want something similar, then you probably don't care about all the stuff that means it doesn't make any sense.

To be clear, I'm not actually advocating doing it. But it wouldn't at all be impossible to remake TFTD using the Xenonauts engine in more or less exactly the same way that TFTD was made in the first place.

(For what it's worth, I'm not especially a fan of TFTD either. There were some pretty good changes - for example the stuff they did with weapon balance was a lot better than in X-Com, but in the end it was marred by some quite dreadful stuff as well. (I'm looking at you, multi-stage Terror Missions).)

Multi-stage Terror missions :o

When are you modding those in?

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggg.

(Actually, the multi-stageness of the missions themselves wasn't so much the problem. The issue was mainly the absurd maps. My single defining memory of TFTD is the second half of a cruise liner mission, where I spent an hour and a half searching the top two levels of the map for the last remaining alien which, as it turned out, was a 2-tile wide terror unit which had spawned in one of the cabins meaning that it couldn't move out of the room. And - obviously - it reaction-fired one of my soldiers to death as soon as I spotted it. Not that I'm bitter, or anything.)

Multi-stage aside, this makes me think of alternative Terror map concepts for Xenonauts, no one has done these yet, right?

No. I've actually been thinking about testing the tileset map for the terror missions to see if it will accept other tilesets other than town and soviettown. If it does, that opens up what, ~5 new tilesets you could make terror missions for.

They wouldn't have to be the same as the base tilesets they were using either, since the terror maps could use entirely different assets to the none-terror maps in the same tileset type. And in any case, having things like Middle-Easten style terror missions would be pretty cool. Or military base terror missions, using the desert tileset assets.

(Thinking about it, this could work in reverse as well. If the town and soviettown tilesets could be used on the crash site tileset masks, you could put completely different assets to the town ones in them. For example, you could use the town tileset for forest crash site missions.)

No. I've actually been thinking about testing the tileset map for the terror missions to see if it will accept other tilesets other than town and soviettown. If it does, that opens up what, ~5 new tilesets you could make terror missions for.

They wouldn't have to be the same as the base tilesets they were using either, since the terror maps could use entirely different assets to the none-terror maps in the same tileset type. And in any case, having things like Middle-Easten style terror missions would be pretty cool. Or military base terror missions, using the desert tileset assets.

(Thinking about it, this could work in reverse as well. If the town and soviettown tilesets could be used on the crash site tileset masks, you could put completely different assets to the town ones in them. For example, you could use the town tileset for forest crash site missions.)

Exactly my thoughts, the opportunities are immense and I expect the mapping community to look into these as the current templates have been comprehensively exhausted by the map packs already available. *Throws an angry look at Skitso*

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggg.

(Actually, the multi-stageness of the missions themselves wasn't so much the problem. The issue was mainly the absurd maps. My single defining memory of TFTD is the second half of a cruise liner mission, where I spent an hour and a half searching the top two levels of the map for the last remaining alien which, as it turned out, was a 2-tile wide terror unit which had spawned in one of the cabins meaning that it couldn't move out of the room. And - obviously - it reaction-fired one of my soldiers to death as soon as I spotted it. Not that I'm bitter, or anything.)

Totally agree. Big "No WaY" for 2-stage missions.

Dont get us wrong u can do it or play it if u want to. We are just saying our opinion. No offense ;]

U know i played TFTD couple od times (but not the original it was some kind of community bug fixed version or whatever with translation cause back then i didnt know english) and rly whenever ship terror came i was like: "oh god why me? i have only few hours for playing and this is happening? god why me?" ;D

Since then i dont like 2-stage misiions.

I'm not entirely averse to the idea of two stage missions as long as they are handled correctly. Cydonia was actually a pretty good example of it being done well.

The TFTD two stage missions were bad for 2 main reasons

1) Awful maps. Hundreds of places for an alien to hide and just make the mission drag on even though you'd effectively won (killed everything else). This could easily be resolved with an alternative victory condition such as the ones already in place for holding the UFO

2) Poor transfer of equipment between levels. Particularly any partially expended clips disappeared from the inventory on loading part two of the mission, even those still loaded into a gun.