Mac Steam Build Needs Testing!

Hello, I'd like to start with saying Xenonauts rules and thank you so much for your hard work! The improvements in 1.5 bring the game to a new level for me, so thanks for your continued work as well.

I'm having an issue getting v1.5 experimental build on my Macbook. On my windows PC when switching to the experimental branch to "update" to 1.5, I recall Steam doing a bit of downloading and then my Xenonauts launcher changed to say v1.5. However on my Macbook, when I switched to the experimental branch in Steam, no downloading occurred and the launcher confirms that my version is still v1.09 (I verified in-game by noting that cover indicators are missing).

I also tried deleting the local content and re-downloading with the experimental branch selected, no dice. For what it's worth, my Steam library correctly shows as "Xenonauts [experimental]" (or "Xenonauts" when I switch beta back to "NONE"), but not until I restart Steam - which I did not have to do on my Windows PC.

Are there any known issues around Steam's "Betas" feature? My understanding is that this is the only current way to get the experimental builds, but I haven't seen anyone specifically having this issue getting v1.5 on either Mac or Windows. Many thanks in advance for any ideas or potential solutions!

Edited by itchy88

Well Xenonauts on Mac is just the Windows version in a Wine wrapper - engine issues mean a native port isn't possible. If you're reasonably competent with Wine or willing to learn I'd suggest getting the V1.5 files for Windows off the Steam Experimental branch from your friend and seeing if it works (or V1.09 from anywhere else). As far as I'm aware twiddling with Wine will fix almost all the issues with Mac Xenonauts but users often just want it to work out of the box, rather than have to do manual set-up work.

So I suggest you get the windows files from your friend and see if you can get them set up. If you can then by all means buy the game and everyone walks away happy, but giving tech support on Wine for an unfamiliar platform is very hard for us to do so it's best you try it out first.

So happy, forgot to report it:

Tested it, loved it, bought it!

I'm a happy Xenonauts @ Steam License owner!!!

Hello, I'd like to start with saying Xenonauts rules and thank you so much for your hard work! The improvements in 1.5 bring the game to a new level for me, so thanks for your continued work as well.

I'm having an issue getting v1.5 experimental build on my Macbook. On my windows PC when switching to the experimental branch to "update" to 1.5, I recall Steam doing a bit of downloading and then my Xenonauts launcher changed to say v1.5. However on my Macbook, when I switched to the experimental branch in Steam, no downloading occurred and the launcher confirms that my version is still v1.09 (I verified in-game by noting that cover indicators are missing).

I also tried deleting the local content and re-downloading with the experimental branch selected, no dice. For what it's worth, my Steam library correctly shows as "Xenonauts [experimental]" (or "Xenonauts" when I switch beta back to "NONE"), but not until I restart Steam - which I did not have to do on my Windows PC.

Are there any known issues around Steam's "Betas" feature? My understanding is that this is the only current way to get the experimental builds, but I haven't seen anyone specifically having this issue getting v1.5 on either Mac or Windows. Many thanks in advance for any ideas or potential solutions!

Experimental builds weren't ported in the past, so odds are this one also is not available on Mac.

Thank you Dranak, I was unaware of this! I thought I had read various threads where it seemed people were playing 1.5 on Mac, but I must be mistaken. I'm spoiled already with the 1.5 improvements, especially the cover indicator, but it looks like I will have to play 1.09 for the next two weeks while I'm away from my Windows machine!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I am not a frequent poster and couldn't get to play the game for a long while, I got occupied with school shortly after version 1.09 came out. But now I am back and I wanted to test the 1.5 on my macbook, struggled with steam to get it and finally realised that it wasn't out for mac yet. Anyways, though I bought two copies, one for mac and one for windows, I don't really like switching to windows just for xeno since usually I get to play quick battles only, mac is much more on the go. I would love to help out testing 1.5 but I am not familiar with wine(the program that is) at all. Is there any tutorials online to wrap/wine etc vers 1.5 to mac? Would love to bug report, thanks in advance.

PS: I have to say there is a unique feeling to this game, I don't get this pumped when I play shooters and such as much as this, while I never had the chance to play the original x-coms(only watched a few people play and actually thats how I got here trying to play the original xcom) I really dig the retro feel and just keep coming back.

I'm not a Mac user myself so I can't really say...but if you download V1.09 and replace the Windows Xenonauts files in the Wine application with the Windows V1.5 files then it'll work fine (that's basically what I do when I update the game).

That said, we're hoping to release V1.5 next week and a Mac version of it will be included when we do so, so you could just wait for that if you can't be bothered to do all the fiddling :)