Mac Steam Build Needs Testing!

I saw the text issue in a mid-2010 27" iMac, OS/X 10.9.3, ATI Radeon HD 5750, under build 1.06 and previous from Desura.

I'm unable to launch the Mac Steam version. I unzipped the file from the experimental branch, but it wouldn't load. Running WineskinLauncher from the command-line gives me this:

% ./Contents/MacOS/WineskinLauncher2014-07-01 16:32:02.294 WineskinLauncher[1366:507] Unable to load nib file: MainMenu.nib, exiting

Hey there.

First time poster... and a former diehard addict of the original xcom. I don't have a PC: can I purchase the PC version of the game, then get into the experimental branch to test it on my mac?

Many thanks for doing this, I am so excited to test this out!

Feel free to correct me, but unlike classic games, in the age of downloadable content (such as this game). One purchase covers all platforms.

BTW, I have a suspicion the blurred text may be caused by WINE. Do any of you guys have the files for the Windows version of the game? What happens if you run them under Wineskin, which is an up-to-date version of WINE? Is it still blurred?

Just downloaded the game using steam, opened up the executable file and got the game running, built a base and played a few turns of a mission on my Macbook 13". Using OSX 10.9.3.

Waaghmasta - the executable file (a Zip file) is in your 'Xenonauts' folder, which is in your 'Steam Apps' folder, which is in your 'Steam' folder, which is kept in your 'Library', which is in your <user name here>, which you can find by clicking on your 'harddrive', which is usually on your desktop.

Just click on the Zip file - a few moments later a Xenonauts logo will appear. Just click on this - or drag it to your side bar so it's always available - and the game should start!

I just downloaded the windows version and tried running it in wineskin using Wineskin 2.6.0 as the wrapper and WS9Wine1.5.26 as the Engine. The game runs well, but I still get the blurry text. I'm gonna try messing around with different wineskin settings to see if anything helps.

Just to add - when i played the game I didn't get blurry text. Not that I could notice anyway.

The text is very, very small on my 13" screen though. I believe the game wasn't made for use on a screen this size, which is kind of understandable but it is a shame. Is there any easy way this could be modded or put into a future update? I'd be very grateful because it's a perfect game to play when I travel.

Hmm, that's weird. I assumed the blurred text would be tied to Wine and the OS version. I'm a bit mystified as to what might be causing it if that's not the case.

If there's a version of WINE that avoids the blurry text on the more recent builds, we'll produce a second version of the game with the updated WINE version for newer OS versions and include that in the download.

I have a 1.5 GHz, 10.9.2 with no blurry text. I do get a serious issue from time to time where the combat map doesn't render properly... either everything is white, or the map is partially showing, but then everything else is rendered as if they were redacted: covered in big black squares. Ive seen it on several maps now, but usually save and reloading makes it go away. Sometimes saving crashes the game as well.

Screen Shot 2014-07-04 at 3.19.55 PM.jpg

Edit: I just noticed that there was a dedicated bug thread, and this is a known issue... my apologies!

Feel free to correct me, but unlike classic games, in the age of downloadable content (such as this game). One purchase covers all platforms.

I bought the game thinking that (I was desperate to get my fix!) and it worked.

Screen Shot 2014-07-04 at 3.19.55 PM.jpg

577e7d063f3b6_ScreenShot2014-07-04at3.19

Edited by Noy

I've been running 1.07E since the post date and had none of the issues of the 1.06 version.

To those having blurred text i suggest installing x-quarz and setting game Xserver to system in wineskin settings.

I do also have 10.9.3, except that i use integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000, as i have no other, and i do NOT have issues with text.

From the reports on this thread i see problems with owners of AMD GPUs

Edited by deghost

Having a problem with invisible ufos during ground combat. Playing ironman mode normal. First month. Everything else seems to be working perfectly, but during ground combat there is no ufo. The aliens are all there. Shots are 100% blocked and so is visibility, so the ufo is "there" its just not visible (the tiles around the aliens look like normal titles, no distortion or anything).

So more about the blurred font issues, I ran the 1.07 Windows build (I'm running the Steam version installed on my Windows partition) in a Wineskin wrapper and I'm still getting the blurred / distorted fonts. I tried running the application in a 1920x1200 window and a 1920x1080 window, and I'm still seeing the issue. (Here's a screenshot, you can notice the distortion most at the bottom of the screen.) Here's the "LastWineRun.log" output in case it's helpful.

I tried a few things in winetricks, including setting the macdriver to X11 (I've got Quartz installed) with no dice. Setting fontfix and fontsmooth to disabled didn't work, nor did fiddling with the screen settings.

Oh, update! Following erutan's suggestion above, I downloaded the WS8Wine1.2.3 engine, and the font issue seems to have disappeared! Here's an updated screenshot. I'll experiment with another few engines to see if I can figure out when it broke. Thanks erutan!

Ok, well I've experimented with some different Wine engines. These builds all exhibit the font bug:

WS9Wine1.7.21WS8Wine1.5.1WS8Wine1.4WS8Wine1.3.37WS8Wine1.3.10WS8Wine1.3.5WS8Wine1.3.4WS8Wine1.3.3

WS8Wine1.3.0 and 1.3.2 both display the fonts correctly, but they both have weird issues with the mouse flickering.

1.3.20 crashes on startup.

Therefore it looks like the regression happened sometime between 1.3.2 and 1.3.3. Here's the Wine changelog for 1.3.3; a quick scan doesn't reveal anything that looks obviously related, but who knows?

At any rate, so far 1.2.3 seems to be the most stable option. I'll try running with that for a while and see if I kick up any other problems.

Glad that worked out for you thither - I didn't have any extra bugs back when, but things have changed since. Hopefully we're not in a situation where 1.2.3 fixes fonts but there's some other bug that a later version fixes.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I've been following the development since V20 and the latest releases were always problematic for me with Wineskin: sometimes gamplay got sluggish, and big black blocks appeared in the place of certain objects.

But the current GOG version (1.07) with the 1.07HF, the industrial.zip and the processed_tiles.rar patches applied, works very well with WS8Wine1.2.3 & XQuartz. My setup is Core i3, OS X 1.7.3, HD3000. Haven't seen any black blocks and gameplay is snappy. Thanks for your work!

Having a problem with invisible ufos during ground combat. Playing ironman mode normal. First month. Everything else seems to be working perfectly, but during ground combat there is no ufo. The aliens are all there. Shots are 100% blocked and so is visibility, so the ufo is "there" its just not visible (the tiles around the aliens look like normal titles, no distortion or anything).

I'm having exactly this same problem. Running on a macbook pro with 10.9.4. Everything is flawless except for the invisible ufos!

I'm having exactly this same problem. Running on a macbook pro with 10.9.4. Everything is flawless except for the invisible ufos!

As have csd79 suggested, get the "processed_tiles.rar" from this thread by Chris.

I have applied this new tile set to 1.07E and 1.07HF. Much better now. Although instead of broken ufos and tiles i am sometimes (totally randomly) getting CTD on a Battlecruiser.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently experiencing pretty nasty crashes on the Mac version, to the point where I've started naming my save games "Adobe Illustrator" ;)

Is there any way I can provide crash logs to Chris? Right now, my in-game saves are basically of the "do something... OK save" variant :(

Though only on this one mission, so it might just be that and one I finish it, smooth sailing. Further issues on OSX:

- Blank (black) fields, despite my team's standing right next to, and looking in that direction.

- Sudden slow-downs to the point where I have to save & restart.

Also, any plans for a OSX-native version?

Either way, awesome game, and I hope the updates keep coming even in the non-Steam version!