Mac Steam Build Needs Testing!

Steam downloaded version 1.09 for me (on the experimental branch), but I'm not able to launch the resulting app. It unzipped fine, but when I run Contents/MacOS/WineskinLauncher from the command-line, it exits with "2014-07-23 00:30:22.006 WineskinLauncher[6176:507] Unable to load nib file: MainMenu.nib, exiting."

OK, so the Experimental branch now has V1.09 on it. Three things to mention:

1) When you attempt to run it through Steam, it should now pop up instructions on how to find the game files.

2) Xenonauts.zip contains a file that should run normally if extracted and run.

3) If you have display errors with it, Xenonauts_Errors.zip contains a version with an older version of WINE that may fix them.

@thither - have you just tried running it with a double click?

I'm getting the same behavior with the Xenonauts_errors.zip file. Double-clicking it exits immediately, running from the command-line exits with the message above about MainMenu.nib. I'm on OS/X 10.9.4, mid-2010 iMac.

Hmm, upon inspection it looks like there was some kind of unzip error. Unzipping the file with TheUnarchiver wound up with a 119 MB .app directory. When I unzipped it with Archive Manager, it wound up looking correct.

% du -sh /Users/tim/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Xenonauts/Xenonauts_errors

119M /Users/tim/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Xenonauts/Xenonauts_errors

% du -sh /Users/tim/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Xenonauts/Xenonauts_errors\ 2

2.8G /Users/tim/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Xenonauts/Xenonauts_errors 2

The new version seems to launch just fine. Possibly it's a bug with TheUnarchiver, will follow up with them.

Ah, damn. That was the whole point of that version. I don't know how competent you are with WINE itself? If you know what you're doing running the windows files manually in Wine, it'd be interesting if you could try erutan's fix for the issue on page 4 / 5 of this thread and see if it works for you too.

Ah, damn. That was the whole point of that version. I don't know how competent you are with WINE itself? If you know what you're doing running the windows files manually in Wine, it'd be interesting if you could try erutan's fix for the issue on page 4 / 5 of this thread and see if it works for you too.

Not competent at all, unfortunately. :(

For what it's worth, I personally do get clear text with the Xenonauts_errors.zip file (now that I figured out how to unzip it correctly, argh). I'm running the game at 2560x1440 on an iMac, with "run in a window" checked. woowoo, what resolution are you running at?

For what it's worth, I personally do get clear text with the Xenonauts_errors.zip file (now that I figured out how to unzip it correctly, argh). I'm running the game at 2560x1440 on an iMac, with "run in a window" checked. woowoo, what resolution are you running at?

1440x900, not windowed.

@thither and you get messed up text with the other version?

Yes, I just double-checked the regular version and the blurry text still occur on my machine.

I don't have an option for a 1440x900 resolution in the launcher when I run either version of the 1.09 game. I have checked it in a few other resolutions now (running windowed) and the behavior is consistent for me, the _errors version has clear text and the non-_errors version has blurry text. The text does get a bit blurry when I run it in non-native resolution, but that looks like it's more from pixel scaling, whereas the other distortions I see in the non-_error version look different (as though every few horizontal lines of text are offset several pixels to the right or left).

@woowoo - Sorry, I'm not really what to suggest now. Using WINE 1.2.3 (as is used in the second zip) was our fix for that issue, but apparently it doesn't work for everyone. I'm happy for you to ask the seller for a refund if you want one for the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently testing the MAC version on a Macbook Pro 2013 (Retina) with OSX 10.9 (in Window running mode in 1440x900).

I needed to make the UFOs appear with updating the processed_tiles.rar that I found on a page on this thread.

The game works globally fine (with no random crashed). Nevertheless, I now experience two problems (one very minor and one major).

- the minor one concerns the cut-off tooltips (which has already been described in this thread).

- the major one is difficult to explain and might be related to a "saturation" in the memory load of the computer. To clarify this issue, when I play Xenonauts for a certain time (from 30 minutes to 60 minutes), some graphics begin not to display correctly and are replaced by black squares. This may affect as well some graphics from the menus, some images from the Xenopedia, some part of the geopolitical map, or some pictures in the air/ground combat mode (background, objects, or even animations). From this moment, I know that I have to save because the game will always begin to "lag" and then crash in the following 5-10 minutes. It might be a freeze or a direct crash to desktop...

It seems to me that this bug is somehow related to a kind of memory load as I can save the game, quit Xenonauts, and then restart the game to fix the black screens and continue playing. However, this is not very pleasant to play in such discontinuity...

Do you know if a fix/patch might solve this issue ?

Best, and thank you for this awesome game !

Have you tried playing the Xenonauts_compatibility.zip game in the Steam folders? That might help a little. If that doesn't work I'm not really sure what to suggest; this problem seems to be linked to WINE unfortunately as it doesn't occur very often on PC.

@woowoo - Sorry, I'm not really what to suggest now. Using WINE 1.2.3 (as is used in the second zip) was our fix for that issue, but apparently it doesn't work for everyone. I'm happy for you to ask the seller for a refund if you want one for the game.

It's not blurry anymore! Not sure if it had something to do with running the Yosemite beta, or perhaps it was on the resolution, but it's clear now! Woohoo!!!!!

It still gets blurry on non-native resolution, but I'm not bothered by that.

One remaining niggle (I haven't gotten far in the game) is that the tooltips are still cut off. Is there any way to fix that?

Playing on a larger resolution would do it - it's a problem with the game itself, not the Mac version. There's no scrollbars on the tooltips and I set them up while playing at 1080p. Hopefully the Community Coder guys will fix it at some point; we're reluctant to push out new fixes to the stable version of the game right now.

Playing on a larger resolution would do it - it's a problem with the game itself, not the Mac version. There's no scrollbars on the tooltips and I set them up while playing at 1080p. Hopefully the Community Coder guys will fix it at some point; we're reluctant to push out new fixes to the stable version of the game right now.

Would you mind posting the tooltip info?

• 3 months later...

Hi

I'd LOVE to test this game on a Mac.

I've been wishing to buy it but since I can't find that much information about Mac development and the last time I've tried it it wouldn't work on my MacBook Air (my 1368X768 resolution wouldn't let me press the buttons on the bottom) this would be gold!!!

How can I test it?!

Thanks!

Could you please tell me the current version of the game?

Let's be honest here: I could get the game from a friend but - call me stupid - I actually like to support the developers buying the games. That's why I currently own 124 Mac games, 138 Windows games and 76 Linux games.

I had the game on my Cart on Humble Store but didn't check out because I was afraid the game would't work.

I used to LOVE playing X-COM on my old Amiga 600HD and I'd love to get that back.

I do have an (old, second hand) Windows PC but I just hate turning it on. Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz, only 1GB RAM, the graphics card on that is terrible and it only has a PCI X1 port and an (WOW) ADD2/SDVO expansion port so... I hate turning it on as my Mac is perfectly fine for the games I own.

I've tried Xenonauts last night and... It didn't work. Version 1.6 or 16.1. I can't really tell. Got around the resolution problem by mirroring to the Apple TV and getting the 1920X1080 resolution but the screen was just misplaced as if someone pushed it right. I could,t really see them but I'm pretty sure there were some control button on the bidding right panel.

Anyway Chris, if you guys need any help for the Mac platform so that it can see the sunlight sooner, I'm here.

Well Xenonauts on Mac is just the Windows version in a Wine wrapper - engine issues mean a native port isn't possible. If you're reasonably competent with Wine or willing to learn I'd suggest getting the V1.5 files for Windows off the Steam Experimental branch from your friend and seeing if it works (or V1.09 from anywhere else). As far as I'm aware twiddling with Wine will fix almost all the issues with Mac Xenonauts but users often just want it to work out of the box, rather than have to do manual set-up work.

So I suggest you get the windows files from your friend and see if you can get them set up. If you can then by all means buy the game and everyone walks away happy, but giving tech support on Wine for an unfamiliar platform is very hard for us to do so it's best you try it out first.