S-23 "Prophet" Tactical Reconnaisance Armour

Max_Caine

Well it is very simple ... as of corse for idea..

first you should watch appleseed movie.. for inspiration .. and for the "singnificantly difference" :) just add a jump pack or buster to the back of the landmate and you will have A BF difference on the field.. ! of corse it should cost a looot money but .. worth it

I know X-xom series since childhood. I starded playing it when i was 15 years old.. This game is somewhat important to me.. just remind me times when i had come from school and sit to play X-com hours and hours...

MAking it .. you would just make a new content uou would make my dream game to come true.. Really landmates/mechs is the only things in this game i m missing

please consider

Best

To give some idea what knid of work still needs to go into this project.

Up to now, there are essentially 4 major stages yet to go:

Rendering

Post Processing

Spritesheet stuffing

Coding

The current stage that I'm currently on is rendering. (Although this is likely to change). A scene in Maya (i.e. all the animations required for one full animated weapon) must be rendered from eight different cameras. A single scene from a single direction requires 696 or so frames of animation, so that's 5568 frames per complete scene. It generally takes a day or two on my computer to render out roughly half the frames involved. Following Chris' suggestions, I'm putting most of the rendering on hold, so I can focus on getting the best model possible. So it's unlikely that I will have the armour fully rendered until the end of July, by which time I will have practiced enough with post-processing and spritesheet stuffing to be able to quickly rush through these last two stages. Then it comes to coding... and getting the spritesheets right for that is going to be difficult.

To me, The Prophet is recon armour, not stealth armour. Like the Harridan it's based on, it's all about sensors and analysis. The Prophet should emphasise detection, investigation, revelation, analysis. Stealth is an aspect of the Prophet, but it's not the emphasis of the armour. Stealth armours are usually intended for penetration, for sabotage, to execute unexpected attacks. A solider in Prophet armour isn't expected to carry out deep penetration - it's expected to detect ambushes, to find the enemy rather than to sneak past it. I'd far prefer if I could incorporate more detction-based abilities, such as configurable night vision, or Sebillian-esque ignore smoke, or any other type of vision/detection.

It could be great ghost armor for scouting and dealing with powerfull psionic attacks.

Whenever we do get that type of armor I stand by my suggestion I'd love to see an armor which completely negates successful mind control attacks, turning them into a much more harmless panic event. I'm starting to feel it should be a high-tier armor though and Max does have a point with the features he has in mind.

There are two psychic powers that really get to people - hallucinate (or Berzerk) and Mind Control. Fear doesn't have an immediate effect, Paralyse does but not a "shoot other people" effect. It's MC and Berzerk which make people the most upset, because those two powers are the ones where your own soliders shoot each other, and you don't see those powers until mid/late game when leaders turn up. Personally, I think psychic defences should start to appear about that point as up to then psychic powers are annoying but manageable but once Leaders appear they go from annoying to deadly.

So yeah, I agree with KevinHann.

• 4 weeks later...

The nightmare isn't over yet. Since I last wrote, the guy I hired to do the final fixes to the animations could only do half the job. Which meant that I've had to find another guy. Thankfully, a guy who I can trust has just become free, but it's a been a real nightmare finding reliable help that's available.

• 3 weeks later...

I never noticed the original thread. Seeing this now, I am in physical pain from how much I want it. The appearance and mechanical niche are both great, and the Xenopedia entry you put together in the OP is (like every Xenopedia entry you've done) spot-on; the mixture of sarcasm and information is perfect.

Prophet armour isn't intended to replace Wolf, it's intended to compliment it. I've tested this using stand-ins, but vanilla Prophet is currently intended to have the same armour as Jackal with a sight range of 22 and a view cone of 180. It'll take a hit or two, but the significantly longer and wider sight range is the real draw with Prophets.