New character "gaming" faces/bodies

kahvipannu

First of all, this mod is silly, so take it as such.

Ok, so I have been messing around doing these alt art for the game. They are based on character models found on various games.

It is based on various screenshots of different models combined, and edited with Photoshop later. As is the faces and such, I tryed to make them look a bit "drawn", since pics of 3d models looked really silly in-game, and to unifye the look between characters.

So I tought I share this with people, I will upload it once done for people who might like something like this.

EDIT:

Updated previews of the included armors:

Basic: (final neck will be shorter for males, heh)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5593/14564048844_d50da239c9_h.jpg

Jackal:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2904/14562338581_bd11b423c7_h.jpg

Buzzard:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3908/14565721765_3c30857812_h.jpg

Wolf:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2928/14565723155_20b49dc6f2_h.jpg

Release and download, once done, nothing yet.

Edited by kahvipannu

Really good. Even the art style matches with the game.

Thumbs up!

Though the female pose and body look too similar, I guess they are. If possible go some steps further and vary body height, body position and so on to have some diversity. Surely also for males then.

Indeed, the bodies are identical. Only thing varies is the head and skin-color, most variations have it a bit different than others, older variant of the armor showed more of it, so it looked a bit more varied. But these "clones" are intentional, easier to do this way, and your looking one at a time anyway. There is some variation of the head tilting/facing tought, here is couple more examples, and other male head variation wearing Jsleezy's real armor.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5033/14499016816_2010d763df_o.png

They are one zip down away from likable!

Yeah, that will be included as an option :o That was earlier version, got a bit jarring staring those at the barracks tought, so I added the the shirt below. It looks way better this way, but I see no problem adding the "fan-service" version too as an option once all done.

I really like these. The women in the game right now look like men with women's heads. This would be a great addition.

To be honest, thats how they should look with the gear they have. I can always appreciate when devs go for that way, like PS2, not going for the fan-service route. I think the devs did great job with aesthetic and art-wise for the game in general. What I'm doing I would say is way less immersive, and a bit ridiculous, but as you stated, I'm happy if some people will like it as an option.

Thank you, but I want to emphatize the fact these faces aren't my work exactly. I use 3d models from othergames, allign the skeleton and take screen, and use photoshop to edit it to make them fit the style of the game, and so on. Like the one in my avatar is old snake from MGS. But each one of them still take time/work to do, so I appreciate it.

Some more male examples:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2939/14545455413_50c3a8b374_o.png

Also are you from the team? I have to say, you guys did excellent job with the game. I'm one those few who actually hated the new Firaxis X-Com, they managed to dumb down and take any kind of dynamic nature from a game that came for DOS. I'm actually shocked how much praise it got. I just kept playing the original instead. But this game, it needs some bug fixing and such, but this has to be the best re-make/imagination of the classic I have played so far. It manages to feel fresh, but still familiar and very loyal to the original. You did what I tought Firaxis would do, build on top of concepts which work, not rip them down to barebones. Keep up the good work, I will propably write lenghty review of this at TW-Center once I clock more hours with the game.

Edited by kahvipannu

i am the commander shepard and this is my favorite face mod of the citadel! kaidan looks pretty well done, but now i have a random image on my mind of a male krogan face with that female bodies XDDDD, also that female jumpsuits are a little too much revealing to use it in a war against aliens carrying plasma weaponry......but this would explain the high rate of deaths in early game.. you can kill aliens and being sexy in the same time, right ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?

Yeah, I will propably make a version of the females that will go with the vanilla/Jsleezy armors of the game, similar I'm doing with the males now, for those who do not like the new body. But I'm working with fem-jackal variation too that would go with the jump-suit they have now. I might do same for the males, but that would be after all other stuff. The beauty of mods is about providing gamers options to customize the experience for theyr liking, so I will happilly make multiple versions.

Edited by kahvipannu

That actually looks interesting, I will definitelly check that. Having recognisable faces isn't good for immersion I know, but as I stated what I do now is a tad silly, and I will propably finish this atm. I have almost all fem variations done, and good chunk of male ones, mostly armors need to be done still.

There is quite a few faces for the men tought, so they will take some time, and your mod offers already complete pack of "inqognito" faces, so something silly like this would offer a tad different option in the end, for people who are willing to sacrifice a bit of immersion for little sillynes.

On a side note, trying to be transparent what I'm doing, and what not with the armors. Now I'm just working with screenies of the models, I haven't touched the meshes or textures, I have not seen reason to alter the models itself, I haven't done that before with files from games not in the one I'm modding, and won't start now.

But I pressume with face-gen models one could go in and alter the actual models/skins too without a problem, so that would open that possibility too. One could shape the heads to fit with "vanilla" head shape, right now my problem is the shapes of the heads, theyr too varied for common head-gear, but maybe just attaching them to the actual faces instead armor picture could fix that. Not ideal, but would work.

But back to armors, f.ex. current Jackal armor is sum up of screenies from 7 different models various parts edited as one coherent armor, and you can see there is 3 different torso types overlapping atm with the male uniform, just haven't finished the edits. So all my editing happens in PS atm.

Beef and cheese now.

I tryed to add similarities in design for both genders to atleast make it look somewhat unified. Male one needs some work on upper region and such, but I doubt I will change it much beyond that design wise. Jackal for males will follow same design as the fem counterpant.

Full size:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2916/14511008156_4f9776f4f4_o.png

KAIDANpreview.jpg

In-game screenie, needs some work to make it blend better with the overall look, and shadows I will propably add to the actual armor overlay, and remove them from the backround.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3861/14530794021_0a8ede2236_h.jpg

KAIDANpreview.jpg

KAIDANpreview.jpg.107cc91b4e122ee559a50c

Thank you Gauddlike, and Greyjoy who posted for me regarding the same issue. Unfortunatelly none of those tricks seemed to help, key kombinations or windowed mode, it might be due to the fact my print-screen is behind two keys. Fortunatelly I managed go around the problem with Fraps, it seems to take screens of the game, forgot that thing takes them too :P

And ACEofHeart and others who have given thumbs up, thanks for the compliments, but it is better to save the thanks after once/if I get this done. I should be working other things atm instead making this with my free time, but this game came a bit out of nowhere for me, and this is the game I enjoy playing now, so I do intend to finish this first, wouldn't had posted anything about this here if otherwise, but you never know.

Edited by kahvipannu