New character "gaming" faces/bodies

kahvipannu

I'm considering uploading the PS files too, if I can clean them up, so people can mess around with them as much they want. I like the current look of the body-shape, both male and the toned down "zipped" female, so I will stick to that for now. Future, maybe, but just maybe.

Edited by kahvipannu

Glad you like it Kyosuke.

Have been slowly doing the faces, still bunch of them to do, but here is couple examples what I have been doing, and how they will be eventually now that I settled for the size, shape and position. (Avatar pics still a bit mess in that regards)

Fullsize:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2912/14595117555_3409628a5f_o.jpg

somefaces.jpg

I might do a bit more african and asian variations atleast. They have only 3 per gender each, and adding more doesn't seem too hard to mod in the files. custom ones I might do duplicates for first version, so many of them, and they are quite rare.

somefaces.jpg

somefaces.thumb.jpg.dfa5fc17c9d2b6916545

Edited by kahvipannu

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of soldier art in the game (hence doing this to get something I personally will like more), but rest of the art in the game is pretty amazing. But that is subjective, and thankfully the devs have made the game highly/easy moddable in terms of 2d-assets too, we can have the option to do more options art wise without too much of a hassle.

And thanks, tought as stated the faces are screenshots of gaming characters which I edit and polish in PS, so they will look pretty much as good as theyr source. My job is just to make them fit in the game. Each one takes a bit time tought.

Altought I have started mixing and blending them together a bit, to make them look "not familiar faces" or more lore friendly, making them this way would make them a bit more unified style wise too. I might do that more or with all in the future.

Edited by kahvipannu

Yes, atleast Jill is there, and Rebecca (?) was other character I think, latino lady.

That said, I think I will eventually go for the "putting together" way of doing things. Atleast for the customs, not going 1 to 1, but atleast trying to replicate something similar what they actually are. I'm not feeling very comfortable replacing those peoples faces who backed this. That would go to do after all the common faces tought.

Here is one example to give idea, the bald guy from earlier pic is the base:

14420697107_3ba91e908d_o.jpg

There is a quite lot of them tought, so I can't say if I can do it before getting bored doing them, but that is the plan for the customs eventually I think.

Excellent faces (especially in the above post), great work in general. You should almost be paid for all this; at least with donations or something.

One suggestion: change the male stance a bit, or just use the default game's stance. Otherwise the armor, textures/details are superb.

For the stance check post 73:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/11042-New-character-gaming-faces-bodies?p=124896&viewfull=1#post124896

I do agree now that I have played with these things a bit, it is a wonky for the males. I might go and re-do that stuff later, but I'm still going to polish some things like the ankles. Altought you look one at a time, so it isn't the biggest thing ever... But now I just want to get the faces done, and after that potential other stuff.

I'm flattered, and happy that you like the results, but donations and such, never, specially with project like this. Money, drama, competiton, all kind stuff like that which has zero doing with modding, it just makes me not wanna do it, and has gotten me left modding teams in past. You keep it simple, you keep it fun. My real work is stresfull already, modding is a fun escape from that for me, so I that is that.

For the progress, I have about 20 male heads left (not counting customs, I have few of them done), half of them just reworks. Some fems need a bit work too I think.

First of all, this mod is silly, so take it as such.

Again, male armor not something from me in these pics, Jsleezys work, get the mod here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/xenonauts/mods/1/?

Any chance you could host that in a place where we dont have to pay to register?

Edit:

Never mind you dont HAVE to click a subscription option, its not 100% obvious just uncheck the boxes and click register. My bad for not trying first! :) Nice pictures!

Edited by Festivejelly

Festivejelly, that's Jsleezys mod, not mine. I just mentioned it since I used hes armor for the males in the preview. I think I will remove all the old stuff from OP, I think it is just confusing people more than providing info.

Also Nexus is good place to host mods, and I would recommend people making free accounts there, very easy to keep track of your downloads for invidual games, and follow and update accordingly. Not to mention mod-managers and such.

This looks really, really nice. Have been longing for a way to give the soldiers some more memorable identity. I like and care for my guys, they should not be throwaway cannonfodder and should look badass, even if we're in the dreary cold war era. Absolutely loving the heads and outfits, even if there are some familiar faces in there.

My only gripe is their stance, the males especially. Firstly, I feel like it's a bit of a shame to hide the hands behind their back so we can't see the entire outfit, but that's a minor thing - the hands behind the back looks cool also. But secondly and more importantly, something about their leg-pose seems very strange somehow. They do not look very relaxed, almost like the feet are bent at a strange angle. Is it just me? Personally I'd prefer a more relaxed "at-ease" look to them.

But keep up the fantastic work nonetheless, I'll be sure to try this mod out.

Blunite, yes, this will take some of the charm and immersion away from the mod, but I doubt anyone can complain with more options customizing your play experience. I'm glad you like the result.

Regarding stances, see post 73. I will fix the ankles, I propably should do it soonish, I don't know how many times I have now said that :D

But in overall, males were a after tought, hands were hid due to the lazines atm, and all stances based on first stance were kept to hasten things, and making them easier for me. All this might change in future, but right now it is what it is until I get the this done.

I have been reworking a lot of the faces I have so far, and changing some away, so will be a bit still I can upload this stuff, but maybe latest next week. Just to let to those who told waiting starting new campaign until this is out. Depends how much I dig into the custom ones. Right now I will propably leave them untouched, besides the few I have already replaced. I can update those after all others.

Vanilla heads, and I pressume Jsleezys real fighters too will work with the male armors surprisingly well. Head-gear might have some problems, but still. I just wish I would had gone for the same body shape with the fems too in the first place.

14651363272_3ec417f3db_o.png

And to show something instead just rumbling, added quick basic helmet for the basic armor, will be optional. I might add one 70's style one too, which vanilla game has.

14648432651_b8483d060c_o.jpg

EDIT: Forgot why I was posting in the first place. Something like this after playing with the body-proportions of fem body to make it match male one (currently fems have very short middlebody accompanied with un-naturally long legs), and vanilla ones, so one could use theyr heads too, this is what I think will settle once I redo this stuff in generall.

Don't mind details, it's just re-shaped/positioned body of the fem and male legs. It still would require reworking some of the upperbody including hands, and such. Just to let you know I'm intenting to fix the issue eventually, but not for the first version.

14465596237_1b75b7661d_b.jpg

Edited by kahvipannu

Blunite, yes, this will take some of the charm and immersion away from the mod, but I doubt anyone can complain with more options customizing your play experience. I'm glad you like the result.

Regarding stances, see post 73. I will fix the ankles, I propably should do it soonish, I don't know how many times I have now said that :D

But in overall, males were a after tought, hands were hid due to the lazines atm, and all stances based on first stance were kept to hasten things, and making them easier for me. All this might change in future, but right now it is what it is until I get the this done.

Sorry I brought up an issue you've apparently answered on before - I'll admit I didn't read all ten pages of comments, I just looked at the images. And no worries whatsoever - this is your thing, I'll be happy for whatever you put out. The mod looks incredible as it is, and moreso with each update. :)

That said, I couldn't help myself, so I whipped up a fast edit of one of your shots to show specifically what I meant with the pose - who knows, maybe you can use it for inspiration or something. And just let me know if you want me to butt out, I will not be offended. :D

stance.jpg

stance.jpg

stance.jpg.522be3c8983ba714c6ed5395e01b4

No no, I'm ok with suggestions and critizism, I don't mind. Also yeah I can understand if you missed it, it's just one of those "Hey, the leg is weird, did you notice?", "No, what leg?", you know :P

But, I'm planning putting up the PS files at some point after I clean them up, so that they will be somewhat usefull if people want to mess around with the armors, atleast for the faces. For now I won't be making changes for the bodies much, but I will get back to the pose stuff once the faces are done, as I scetched above. It's more of rework based on lessons/feedback learned during this, what went wrong, what could be better. Maybe bringing the hands back (atleast for the heavier armors), and making fems and male match properly, with bodyshapes too, stuff like that.

Edited by kahvipannu

Well it is getting close to completion what I planned for first release. This or next week is my quess.

Here is few more examples of the backer faces I did earlier, they need some final touch to unifye the style, but I'm actually kinda happy how they are turning out with this method. Ofcourse some of them will look more and some less like the base-picture, but still. Only thing that terrifes me is that there about 100 of them (maybe 10 will be at first release), so I'm not sure if I will ever have the patience to finish them myself.

14679788043_01ac4475be_o.jpg

As art, this is quite good. The only complaint I have is that the women are very "Barbie". Just a bit too unrealistically so for my taste. They look like they put on club jeans rather than something to fight a war in, and they all have DDs at least. I can't imagine maneuvering in that getup.

"First of all, this mod is silly, so take it as such." True, so there you go I guess. Is there any chance of a non-silly version sometime in the future?

Edited by Xitax

As art, this is quite good. The only complaint I have is that the women are very "Barbie". Just a bit too unrealistically so for my taste. They look like they put on club jeans rather than something to fight a war in, and they all have DDs at least. I can't imagine maneuvering in that getup.

"First of all, this mod is silly, so take it as such." True, so there you go I guess. Is there any chance of a non-silly version sometime in the future?

Yes. The more I play and do this, the more I'm thinking going to the "proper" direction of doing things. I have been thinking changing them fem body to be more same as males, something like post 91, if it isn't too much work, and doable with the current stuff I have. But Also I had in mind jumpsuits without the tacti-lolol belts and such, and one that isn't skin tight, alongside new/updated more naturall poses, for both genders. More in the direction of original X-Com.

Women do look like models, your right, but that is something this mod is supossed to do. Again, I'm thinking about a version of women without make-up and such, simple hair-styles for both genders, and no "gaming characters" that would break your immersion, make "new" faces as shown in the last preview pic.

But for now it is what it is, and that is what you will get first. I always have tedency to get side-tracked with mods, and not getting things done before I burn out on the project, so I'm trying to focus finishing what I do now, and then do possible more changes/options. Making all current faces I have look good and not out of place, polish the armors, and then doing the custom backers and possible stuff I just mentioned.

Edited by kahvipannu

Well it is getting close to completion what I planned for first release. This or next week is my quess.

Here is few more examples of the backer faces I did earlier, they need some final touch to unifye the style, but I'm actually kinda happy how they are turning out with this method. Ofcourse some of them will look more and some less like the base-picture, but still. Only thing that terrifes me is that there about 100 of them (maybe 10 will be at first release), so I'm not sure if I will ever have the patience to finish them myself.

If I could I would put Commissar Pancakes to keep you motivated ;) but I will accept anything you give.

I, for one, am all for the model look; subtle (or not) make-up, unreasonably attractive faces, etc. I don't care that much about the body, really, so long as it doesn't look as unisex as in the original game; I don't mind the giant boobs of course, but I wouldn't care if you end up making them A-cups either. There are other ways to realistically depict femininity without going the boob route.

I agree that you should try to finish the mod as you originally intended, and worry about alternate ideas later (if/when you feel like it).

Anyway, keep up the good work! I'm holding off on my next playthrough until this mod's done; no pressure though, ha.