Xenonauts scores 81 in Metacritc this week, with 8.8 user score.

Pretty sure they even missed some 85-score reviews from sizeable publications, so far at least. But 81 is ahead of Watch Dogs, doing great!

Especially when you consider the User Score Rage (which is totally justified in my opinion, not that I had any expectations for this game but a friend was pretty disappointed).

Actually, I'm quite surprised myself that Xenonauts gets such critical acclaim. It's kind of hard to establish yourself as an Indie developer, especially when you're trying to make an XCom inspired title.

To be honest, the praise is completely deserved. The game is marvelous!

Edit: Ah frick, post made in wrong thread

Anyway, yeah, game is awesome. Not perfect, it shares some problems with original XCOM while amplifying some of them(for example, while rookies aren't as crappy shots, due to fact that AI in Xenonauts is better than in XCOM... Yeah, it hurts even worse if all of high ranking soldiers die and you have to use squad of privates)

Edited by XenoMask

It's 8.9 now by use score.Honestly I learned long time ago that what I expect and what is promised aren't two same things and your friend should do the same.

Erm.. I was talking about Watch Dogs for PC, which has a User Score of 4.6.

(I.e. Xenonauts is not just better than Watch Dogs, it's massively better when you compare the User Scores.)

Xenonauts is awesome... I was taking it out on Watch Dogs.

I can't understand why Xenonauts is not on the list of games from 2014, nor on the 90 days since release list. It does not even show the metacritic in the Steam launcher. Furthermore there are a lot of reviews missing, basically all of them positive AFAIK. You are missing out, Goldhawk, and you should bring it up with Metacritic. That is cash money from sales lost due to reduced publicity.

I mean you have a 9.0 rating from 60-ish users, that is world class, and I believe the end sum of all magazine reviews will end up closer to 85 than 80.

Do yourselves a favor and get Metacritic to do their job!

So, do they do actual reviews with ratings or just stories?

They usually do a "Wot I think" which is their version of a review (minus the score; they don't like scores). Their "impressions" pieces are different. Not sure if doing an impressions piece means they won't do a review now, though.

I'm mostly surprised because I know one of their writers is a really big X-com fan and has done some stuff (including a video-preview, which is pretty uncommon for RPS) reporting on it in the past. He's also acknowledged in the Xenonaut game manual. So I figured a full on review was pretty much certain.