[V1.09]Skitso's Ultimate Megamix Map Pack 2000

Skitso

Cool! Will try this then on my 2nd playthrough.

Was looking for the info on 1st post because I've gotten bit paranoid with mods on other games like Oblivion. There modders enjoyed sneaking in changes to mods that affected gameplay and difficulty, ruining the game later. [/bitter rant].

Started a new game with XCE and a couple of mods.

And surely with your map pack Skitso!

I have experienced the scrapyard and...man I love your maps!

But now I have a question.

Near the selected soldier you can see the cursor near one of the car wrecks. The cover symbols are displayed but the soldier cannot go there. There isn't even a path displayed.

Is this a bug? There are some cars that have this problem and some not.

scrapyard.jpg

scrapyard.jpg

scrapyard.jpg.45131d7023cede271de218cb6e

Hi, I love this mod, but I did run into some problems on two maps I *assume* are not from vanilla?

1. In one case (mapprob_02 savegame) my sniper was able to enter a terrain with trees, but can't leave anymore.

2. The other is a different map having an oasis near the landing zone of my Shrike dropship - all my soldiers were able to move normally, but the female soldier acting as rocketeer is stuck inside, can't move a single step (mapprob_03 savegame).

Pls. see attached savegames. In case these are from this mod indeed is or will there be a fix for this?

mapprob_02.sav

Mapprob_03.sav

mapprob_02.sav

Mapprob_03.sav

mapprob_02.sav

Mapprob_03.sav

I'm having a problem with version 1.21.

Anytime I try to extract the file (I've redownloaded it 3 times incase the download messed up and also tried using Winrar and 7zip, same result), it always freezes up trying to extract atlas05.png.. it just sits there for 15 minutes trying to extract the file before I forcibly abort it.

I think perhaps the compressed file is damaged or corrupt maybe?

Modding question. Can I just put all these files (and kabill's too, I guess since I use them) into their own mod folder without having to edit things six ways from Sunday? I'm trying to keep all of my mods self contained instead of installing them over the base files. I'm at work and just thought of this, so I have no way to test it myself lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had to uninstall these great looking maps because it made the game impossible for me to even complete a single mission.. It upped the hardness level as fallen trees made it so I could not hit the enemy standing on the other side!

Making the game look better is one thing but even small shrubs provided cover and I found I could no longer kill any aliens before they killed me. With out the ability to rotate the camera way too damn many trees.. alien shoots than moves and out of sight. Or alien standing on the other side of shrub or fallen tree I can see it clearly but I can't hit it as it is 100% blocked!

Loved the tiles but hated how it became like fighting in the dark with all the LOS issues.

Certain tiles need to be fixed for coverage before I could use it because every single tile pretty much blocked me from shooting. Game already is to hard for me.. I did well in X-Com but this game is much more difficult already than add so much more items to block view or cause you to take 4 turns to get around a few trees and a rock and it just became tedious.

• 4 weeks later...
Can I ask for more maps for Massive UFOs? I'm fighting carriers and 90% of time I get same industrial map with slight variation of starting location.

I'd like to second this. Of course, it's easy for people to ask for more maps, and then let you do all the hard work. But I would think that doing larger maps might carry some extra value. When players are using your smaller maps, they are moving through them pre-Buzzard, and all of the painstaking work that you put into everything above ground level goes largely unappreciated. In my experience, you could just as well have roofless one-story buildings, stumps instead of trees, etc. Once players gain flying armor, and particularly when Harridans make their appearance, the game becomes much more three-dimensional and the upper map levels gain significance. Naturally you're already well aware of this; I'm just saying that I think any future efforts on your part would be more satisfying for all parties concerned- players and creator- if they were bigger maps

Well, while I'm planning on releasing one more major update to this pack, it will not touch the larger maps I'm afraid. The final version will update all the light scout maps to be unique instead of just smaller versions of scout/corvette/landing ship maps. This way it'll be highly unlikely for players to get duplicate maps within one playthrough. (you need to play at least 8 crash sites with the same ufo type and same tileset). It's a rather huge undertaking but will practically double the amount of maps in the pack. (I'm hoping kabill can help me out here some day... :))

Then why I'm not making larger maps? Most crash sites I play are up to landing ship and after that the gameplay concentrates more towards air combat, terror sites and base attacks. I usually play only 1-3 crash site missions per ufo type after that, so the map variety isn't really needed there - at least with my play style. I'm not trying to be rude or sound selfish, but for me, modding means doing stuff I think a game needs and I enjoy making and playing. I just then release the stuff I've made and the community either likes it or not. :)

Regarding levels above ground: I've modded my enemy AI so that they take advantage of higher levels much more often and it really benefits the game. I suggest you to make similar changes in aiprops. I've put floorpreference value to -10 (negative values attract to upper floors) to all races and it seems to work great!

Hope you all enjoy this map pack nevertheless.

Edited by Skitso

It's a rather huge undertaking but will practically double the amount of maps in the pack. (I'm hoping kabill can help me out here some day... :))

I've been starting to regain some keen for mapping. However, currently the map editor with 1.52 is broken so it's not possible to make anything :(

Regarding levels above ground: I've modded my enemy AI so that they take advantage of higher levels much more often and it really benefits the game. I suggest you to make similar changes in aiprops. I've put floorpreference value to -10 (negative values attract to upper floors) to all races and it seems to work great!

I'll try doing exactly that. Thank you for the advice, and I see your point about smaller maps getting more use.

Interesting points on the higher levels. By the way, with the new modular mod system you can actually easily add the floorpreference tweak to your mod pack if you think it adds to the game. Just depends if you think it goes beyond the scope of the map pack or not, really.