[V1.09]Skitso's Ultimate Megamix Map Pack 2000

Skitso

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I'm pretty much done and satisfied with the crash site maps of this pack, I'm moving on to add more variation in the terror and alien base maps. I've already started making more variations to alien base sub maps but before going any further, I would like to know which alien props have gameplay related properties (like unlocking researches or giving funds etc) so my new submaps wouldn't alter the game balance.

So Chris, llunak, kabill or anyone who has knowledge, please help me to help you! :)

I think the things which have properties in alien bases are just the alien communications array, the alien base datacore and the base power core. I don't think any of the other props have item drops and am fairly sure none of the other props have resource drops.

Could be wrong, though. I've not looked in-depth at alien bases so might be wrong.

Has anyone ever made any alien base maps? I took a quick glimpse of the vanilla maps to see if there's anything special compared to crash site maps (that I'm pretty familiar with). While they mostly seem pretty standard stuff, I noticed that the spawn room and command room are not placed in the maps and there's nothing that seem to specify where they should be placed.

I'm a bit unsure how these maps are done, so any help here would be appreciated.

Edited by Skitso

• 2 months later...

Pack updated to 1.6! (download link in the OP)

Changelist:

• All Shipping containers now have walkable roofs. I've also added new makeshift stair props (made of scrap, barrels and crates) so units without flying armor can also access some of them.
  • A couple of new maps and submaps to further improve variety.
  • Reworked many old desert and industrial maps to take advantage of the new shipping containers.
  • More overall polish

Please test this pack (especially desert and industrial tilesets) and report all bugs so it can be safely merged to the X:CE. Especially check that all the containers are walkable and that the new makeshift stairs work without problems.

Edited by Skitso

Not much feedback on the new containers... :/

Podbelski has said in the other thread that there's too much container stairs and overpasses in general and I actually had similar thoughts when I modified the maps. Could everyone who has played these give their thoughts on this and the containers in general, thanks.

Edited by Skitso

Not much feedback on the new containers... :/

Podbelski has said in the other thread that there's too much container stairs and overpasses in general and I actually had similar thoughts when I modified the maps. Could everyone who has played these give their thoughts on this and the containers in general, thanks.

I've been taking a break from playing so don't have anything to add from experience but I wouldn't be surprised if my opinion ended up being the same as the one you've been given already. As a thought: I don't know how exactly you've set it up, but if the container and ramps are placed on the same submap would you consider adding non-ramp/non-overpass variants so that they're randomly generated for each mission?

The ramps/stairs are a separate submap that I've sprinkled manually around certain maps. But the stair/overpass randomization is actually a good idea. I'll add few empty variants in the mix to spice things up!

Edited by Skitso

The ramps/stairs are a separate submap that I've sprinkled manually around certain maps. But the stair/overpass randomization is actually a good idea. I'll add few empty variants in the mix to spice things up!

Thinking about it, even if the ramps are separate you could add in one (or more) blank submaps to the folder too so that sometimes there won't be a ramp that spawns. This would save you having to redo the maps themselves.

two reference points:

1. it's bad when it looks like someone has just put the stuff with a map editor, it's good when it looks like "real". This is actually the first time I see something in your maps that looks like the former, so I think you'll find proper layout eventually

2. it's good when these containers are not just an eye-candy but positioned in a way both aliens and humans find them useful to hide behind the corners and lean around them shooting over the area. So you have to keep in mind how usually the GC goes in each particular place and position containers/stairs accordingly

the next time I see these maps I'll try to give concrete examples of the above

Edited by podbelski

Thinking about it, even if the ramps are separate you could add in one (or more) blank submaps to the folder too so that sometimes there won't be a ramp that spawns. This would save you having to redo the maps themselves.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said above. ;)