[V1.09]Skitso's Ultimate Megamix Map Pack 2000

Skitso

• 2 weeks later...

Map pack updated! Small polishing here and there, a couple of bug fixes and 4 completely new industrial maps. (including the khall's winning idea in the "I'll realise your map idea" -thread)

Special thanks goes to Kabill for providing 2 new maps! Please send more! :) They both are very nice maps and also great inspiration for me.

Edited by Skitso

Not sure it's part of this or of the vanilla game but sometimes the craft lands in such a way that the "tank" will not be able to get off the craft. Usually I just go back to a earlier save and when time comes to land the game picks a different map.

EDITED PART:

I really like the additional maps...the terrain does not become boring because you landed on the same map half a dozen times like was possible in the vanilla game. Now if they only added the ability to rotate the map so it can be seen from various angles.

Edited by Larry Burstyn
Added some words

I like the oasis! However, I can't help feeling like it could do with a little extra going on around the edges as it seems a little bare to me on the left hand side. Perhaps some more foliage, or just some patches of green or something (maybe experiment with the long grass tiles?)?

I like the oasis! However, I can't help feeling like it could do with a little extra going on around the edges as it seems a little bare to me on the left hand side. Perhaps some more foliage, or just some patches of green or something (maybe experiment with the long grass tiles?)?

Better?

P0UpGgX.jpg

Quick question to anyone who has more experience with spectres. How can I make my oasis water and shore spectres impassable?

My water current spectres are like this:

<?xml version="1.0" ?><spectre id="tiles/desert/oasis_skitso/water" width="1" height="1" version="1">   <state id="damaged" name="" pivotX="48" pivotY="24" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="1.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="60" wallType="none" footstepsSound="Dirt" destructionSound="Destruction Dirt">       <image src="tiles/desert/oasis_skitso/water_E_damaged.png" />   </state>   <state id="default" name="" pivotX="48" pivotY="24" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="1.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="60" wallType="none" footstepsSound="Dirt" destructionSound="Destruction Dirt">       <image src="tiles/desert/oasis_skitso/water.png" />   </state>   <state id="destroyed" name="" pivotX="48" pivotY="24" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="1.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="0" wallType="none" footstepsSound="Dirt" destructionSound="Destruction Dirt">       <image src="tiles/desert/oasis_skitso/water_destroyed.png" />   </state></spectre>

I think setting pathScore to 0 should do. You can look at arctic water (which for whatever reason also sets wall type, although I think that shouldn't be necessary). It also sets hp to 0 and has no destruction sound, unlike your (what does damaged water look like :) ? ). In fact, maybe you could base it on that one entirely, just changing the shade of blue, that'd also make it animated.

As for the visuals, is this shade of blue intentional? I'd prefer a bit darker one, this one looks cartoonish to me.

Huh, I thought I copied spectres from arctic water... guess not then! :P

Yeah, I went intentionally for a bright teal look to brighten up othewise a bit damp and boring looking desert tileset. And some oasis' do look like that.

Don't need animation though as I've always thought exaggerated waves in small ponds and puddles look ridiculous in every game. :)

Thanks.

Edited by Skitso

Huh, I thought I copied spectres from arctic water... guess not then! :P

Did you by any chance install my artic map pack? I changed the shore spectres in that to be passable partially because when I designed a lot of the submaps I was under the impression they were passable already and it was easier to change the shores than redesign a load of submaps. (Also, I'm not really sure why the shore tiles should be impassable anyway.)

Map pack updated! Added new maps in industrial, middle east and desert tilesets plus a couple of small bug fixes. Also added new oasis tiles in desert to give some additional variation, color and flavor to otherwise a bit boring tileset. Gave a bit of additional polish to some old maps too. Thanks to kabill for one extra middle east map! :)

Screenshots updated in the OP

Edited by Skitso

Hello, I'm downloading this game from Steam as I type. I was wondering if this is compatible with the community edition 0.27 as I would like to go ahead and install extra maps asap. Also, how about the other map pack? Is that something a new player would want immediately as well?

All maps will be compatible with X:CE, so no trouble there.

As regards the random maps (I assume those are the ones you're referring to) I'd be inclined not to use them for your first playthrough. The trouble is, they drown out the custom-made maps so you don't often see them. As such, you're probably better just sticking to the custom maps to start with since they'll be fresh and adding in random maps if you get bored of playing on the same custom maps.

That said, Skitso hasn't done any Arctic maps and there's not a lot of them in vanilla (and they're a bit dull in any case) so the random arctic map pack might be worth using from the start maybe.