[v1.07] Xtended Backgrounds Mod (v0.7)

Ogaburan

I've noticed two issues with the data in the mod:

- Both Czech and Slovak soldiers have chance="2", although there are about 10mil. Czechs and 5mil. Slovaks, so the latter should probably have chance="1".

- The split of British soldiers makes the mod's use of nationality inconsistent (or just broken). The split uses nationality as ethnicity, while all others and also the stock game use nationality to mean belonging to a country, which is why all soldiers from Russia or Ukraine are referred to as Soviet Union, or both Czechs and Slovaks are Czechoslovakian. See also the wikipedia article on 'nationality'.

My somewhat arbitrary values are not based on population alone.

Changing the czech to a 2 will give the nation a total of 3, which I think is too much for a nation in deep political turmoil a the time...

Edit: I got home and checked, and it seems I did decided to make Czechoslovakia a nation of "4" so, I will accept and implement your suggestion. Reducing Slovak names to 1.

Both Czechoslovakia and SU are era specific "novelty" nations, that why they were not "broken up" like the British.

In other words, for flavor.

There is a distinction for many ethnic names as you noticed and nitpicked about, if the distinction bothers you so much feel free not to use the mod.

The goal of this mod is to add variety, but not on the expense of the "era flavor".

Edited by Ogaburan

My somewhat arbitrary values are not based on population

I'm not sure what the values are now but in the original mod the values were based on political lines and from game lore that said that Xenonauts were primarily a Nato and warsaw pact organization. USA and Soviets were chance 10, Nato and Warsaw Pact nations were 8 iirc, Western allies and communist bloc were 6 or 4 iirc, all other nations were 1. If a nation had a sizable minority I usually assigned them a 1 as well.

Just came across this Mod. It does bother me a little in games like this when every other soldier is a woman since every time I see it, I just know this wouldn`t be. I watch a lot of Special forces type documentaries and while there are female recruits they are a tiny number and even when they are deployed it tends to be in counter intelligence, not even direct combat. I believe this is due to obvious natural reasons rather than anyone wanting to be `sexist.`

So it does bug me to see women being treated exactly like butch fighting men when it just wouldn`t happen that much at all.

In other words i`ll give this a try. Cheers. :o

It does bother me a little in games like this when every other soldier is a woman since every time I see it

Except for setting the percent amount of sexes in game you can also try putting "Dr" or "Prof" before the names. At least that is how I sometimes name some of my "less-soldierlike" xenonauts (depending on age/sex/face/attributes).

It would be logical that some of the xenonauts would be field medics and some scientists, who went through some special unit drills. Otherwise how would you explain that uber-fast research progression :rolleyes:

Except for setting the percent amount of sexes in game you can also try putting "Dr" or "Prof" before the names. At least that is how I sometimes name some of my "less-soldierlike" xenonauts (depending on age/sex/face/attributes).

It would be logical that some of the xenonauts would be field medics and some scientists, who went through some special unit drills. Otherwise how would you explain that uber-fast research progression :rolleyes:

Agreed.

Just came across this Mod. It does bother me a little in games like this when every other soldier is a woman since every time I see it, I just know this wouldn`t be. I watch a lot of Special forces type documentaries and while there are female recruits they are a tiny number and even when they are deployed it tends to be in counter intelligence, not even direct combat. I believe this is due to obvious natural reasons rather than anyone wanting to be `sexist.`

So it does bug me to see women being treated exactly like butch fighting men when it just wouldn`t happen that much at all.

In other words i`ll give this a try. Cheers. :o

Not really sure what you mean, is 20% too much or too low?

If only we could have specific/separated:

<minSoldierAge value="21" comment="The minimal age of a soldier."  /> <maxSoldierAge value="35" comment="The maximal age of a soldier."  /> <femaleSoldierChance value="20" comment="The percent chance that a generated soldier is a female" /> <soldierStats comment="Soldier's stats are generated with values in the specified range."> <actionPoints min="35" max="65" /><resilence    min="35" max="65" /><strength     min="35" max="65" /><accuracy     min="35" max="65" /><reflexes     min="35" max="65" /><bravery      min="35" max="65" /> </soldierStats>	 <startingSoldiersStatBonus value="3" comment="Bonus applied to starting soldiers' stats" />

For different variables, we could really get sexist and racist... and even include non combatants.

It really makes me laugh when I recruit a grunt with really bad stats only to see he is a navy seal who fought in Vietnam... Probably making coffee for his superiors...

Maybe some of the guys with access to the source code would make it, if its even possible...

Not really sure what you mean, is 20% too much or too low?

He ment the vanilla values were to high. So he is looking forward to trying Extended.

And I only gave a solution to adding some immersion in case strange soldiers appear in your barracks. (Like calling that 45 year old with glasses who has 35 accuracy a doctor or a proffesor). I didn't mean it to be modded in. It was just an advice for Seafireliv . Just something a player can do himself through the game interfarce.

It really makes me laugh when I recruit a grunt with really bad stats only to see he is a navy seal who fought in Vietnam... Probably making coffee for his superiors...

Or being the superior who spent the war behind his desk :P

Sorry didn`t see the later replies. since my last I`ve been searching deeper into the files. I changed the female soldier chance down to 10% which is more realistic in my view as you would very rarely see a woman Special forces in front Line combat. now I get 1 in about 20 recruits. Still seems a little high.

And please don`t throw around the `sexist` waffle at me, guys. We really must not let ourselves be handcuffed or made to feel `guilty` for something that is just is the way it is. Men are predominantly the fighters and you will naturally get them doing the dirty, mean and horrible work, even more true when it`s warfare of the Elite forces. I shouldn`t even have to say this.

I also altered the age range `21-35` to `20-40` for realism purposes...

It`s quite a modable game. :)

Now as for their skills, I just assume that their skills are reflective less to other Humans but to the Aliens. for instance they are the best of the best- When fighting other Humans, but when fighting Aliens the whole new enemy is unnerving and almost brings them down to rookie status and they have to relearn how to fight all over again.

That reminds me... i need to cut down Civilian fighter`s fighting capability to reflect that.

Edited by Seafireliv

• 1 month later...

I have a question, is it posible to have this mod integrated with aditional soldiers pictures the same way you and Khrall did it for XNT?

If I replace in string .xml part that starts from this code:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:StyleID="s109">

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">experience.america1</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Vietnam</Data></Cell>

</Row>

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:StyleID="s109">

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">experience.america2</Data></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">El Salvador</Data></Cell>

for the one from XNT is that all that has to be changed and then just copy soldername/soldiernamesfeamales .xml or there is anything else i supose to do to make it work?

Edited by Alewalek

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry that I've discovered this thread about 5 years too late but the download link is dead. I tried using Pinetree's version of this mod (which is still up) but alas, that one is almost completely broken (a lot of soldiers with ##### as their nationality). If OP could fix the link or someone else could post the working files, that'd be appreciated.