Linux Steam Builds (Sort Of) Working!

We need some brave volunteers to help us to test Xenonauts on Linux.

I think we've managed to set it up so that the game will run from your Steam library, provided you already have WINE installed on your machine. We'd like some confirmation that this is correct, though.

To test, you'll need the following:

- To be on the Experimental Branch

- To be on Steam for Linux

- To have the appropriate version of Wine already installed on your PC

If you have all those things, you should just be able to download Xenonauts. When you double-click on the game in the Steam library, it should boot up as normal. Let us know if that works for you!

Not sure if you have influence on this, but download speed is a bit slow (it tells me mora than one Year to finish download :) )

Selection_002.jpg

edit : left it downloading for whole night and still not there, average download is few kB/s. This is first time I've experienced this on Steam. Tried to download other game and it was downloading with full speed, weird

Selection_002.jpg

Selection_002.jpg.02d7522bd0fbf0874bf7c2

Edited by Kreny

Um, my work PC has Ubuntu 14.04

As, actually, I'm not sure, where's big difference between any Linux OS, I can only then tell, that I could try.

Ubuntu has Steam, and I already tested openXcom. Would be interesting to run Xenonauts on that too. ))

I can't recall, but, can Xenonaut saves be saved on steam cloud?

I'm on openSUSE 13.1 x86_64, wine-1.7.20, and it seems to work more or less the same like running the Windows version using Wine (which is not that surprising, given that is basically what the Linux "port" is). After a quick look, the only differences are air combat autoresolve disabled, presumably because of the crash, and interestingly I get the problem with the main menu background picture, even though I've never seen the problem with the Windows version.

Well, it runs. I've been playing the Windows version under Wine for a while so I don't think there's need for much testing aside from getting the game to launch.

A bit sad that Autoresolve was removed rather than fixed - I assumed that since the crash happens only there and not in other similar conditions there would be some obviously distinct piece of code that could be identified and corrected.

Aside from that, it may be worth noting that windowed mode doesn't work - even if the checkbox is ticked, the game launches in fullscreen. But it's possible to run the game in a window by configuring Wine to run the game in a virtual desktop, which is what I've been doing.

Kreny - yes, we were getting that in the office when we tried it on a virtual machine too. Damn. We were hoping it was just us.

I'll speak to Steam and see what's happening.

I maybe know the reason ... it seems Steam is not downloading one big package but each single file one by one. And right now, my Xenonauts folder under .steam/steam/SteamApps/downloading/223830/opt has 44 431 files.

So it seems it is openning connection for each file, then downloads it and then closes it.

Yeah, but the standard Steam game has the same number of files too. I don't think that's the issue.

For the autoresolve issue, that is actually a bug with WINE rather than anything we've done...and a very annoying one at that. It crashes that particular window even though it is doing nothing different from any other window. I'm wondering if recoding the window would help but we'll have to see.

I'm in Europe, same issue with the download speed. Doesn't seem to relate to the download server selected at least. Just 78 more days!

Did you create a bug report for WINE about the crash? Maybe using one of your internal debug builds would shed some light on what's going on.

Could I suggest making a new WINE prefix directory for Xenonauts automatically, in case someone is using some DLL overrides (or whatever) in the primary (~/.wine) one that would interfere with the game? I've modified the xenonauts.exe bash script to do this, and added some other stuff:

#!/bin/shcd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )"MESG=`which xmessage`if [ "$?" -ne "0" ]; thenMESG="echo"fiif [ ! -f opt/xenonauts/Xenonauts.exe ]; then$MESG "Executable not found! Please re-install Xenonauts"exit 991fiWINE=`which wine`if [ "$?" -eq "0" ]; thenWINEPREFIX=`pwd`/wine $WINE opt/xenonauts/Xenonauts.exe $@exit $?else$MESG "WINE not found. Please install before running."exit 992fi
Edited by kshade
I should stop

I tried it out. I had to download it overnight and then it ran somewhat OK.

But I have no idea what was caused by my wine setup, and what are general problems.

Even with the windowed checkbox checked in the launcher the game was in fullscreen.

The title screen was full of graphical glitches,

The Autoresolve option didn't appear for the air-combat.

I tried it out. I had to download it overnight and then it ran somewhat OK.

But I have no idea what was caused by my wine setup, and what are general problems.

Even with the windowed checkbox checked in the launcher the game was in fullscreen.

The title screen was full of graphical glitches,

The Autoresolve option didn't appear for the air-combat.

The game was launched in fullscreen as the resolution you selected was too near the maximum resolution, it's a game engine issue (i'm assuming you have a 1920x1080 monitor)

The main menu glitches are known but still being investigated into.

The autoresolve is currently disabled due to a crash happening on WINE, as written elsewhere in this thread.

Teodosio - try the same fix as for the Mac build, then. Go into /assets/tiles/ and delete the /industrial/ directory.

Replace it with the directory here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26290309/industrial.zip

See if that helps?

Many thanks, it seems to be working! I just loaded a save game that was slow as hell and it seems to be working fine now!

What did you change?

I will keep testing (using "new" GNU/Linux version).

It's the tile atlases for that specific tileset. I just removed them and replaced them with the unpacked files. It's more than likely it's the multi-tile objects in the atlas that are causing the issue, I'll have to look to see if they can be separated out.