Xenonauts V1.07 Released!

it's time to start ignoring the whiners and trolls...

Right, because pointing out that...

"But you have stat counters that don't even work, mismapped keys, broken scrollbars, a main menu that doesn't display properly for half of the people that bought the game, a good amount of misaligned specters, and many more issues that are extremely noticeable or could potentially ruin an ironman playthrough."

Makes me a troll. Your logic is inarguable. Goldhawk defense force go!

That's a bit harsh, it's legit complaint. There are about 1337 small things that could make the game even better if fixed ;)

:D

We can't fix those things because we're spending our time fixing the big gamebreakers instead - people can only work on one thing at a time, so we'd have to take time out for the gamebreakers to fix the less important things (which would make no sense).

I'm not suggesting ignoring the gamebreakers to focus on the minutiae, but can't you fix both at once? The specter fixes shouldn't take long at all, and there are a lot of community patches for them that would take very little time to evaluate, and integrate. And how long does it take to fix a broken scrollbar? Are you saying that spending time fixing it would seriously impede your ability to tackle the showstoppers? Forgive my ignorance if this is not the case, but it appears as if you are ignoring easily fixable issues because they are too "minor" for you to bother with.

Plus, just because something is less important doesn't mean it's faster to fix.

Understood. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, could give us a list of which bugs would require too much effort/time/money to fix and thus will not be fixed in the final version. I'm not trying to be facetious here, a list would go a long way to get people to shut up (myself included) about certain issues that will never be addressed.

I also think you're confusing your own personal opinion with that of the majority of people - for instance, I've literally never heard of anyone else complain about the C4 kill tracking, for example. It's not "extremely noticeable". Nor is that broken scrollbar or the couple of mismapped keys in the game. I'm happy to integrate community fixes for them that might arise but I'm not taking time out from the major issues to fix them.

You don't need to be patronizing. I get that I am one of the more vocal critics here, but some of these bugs were reported MONTHS ago. "Extremely noticeable" is a matter of opinion yes, but please, go ahead and try explaining to the guy who lost his best soldier to a misaligned specter on an ironman run that the issue is "minor".

I'm glad that you are at least willing to integrate some community bugfixes. Looking forward to it.

Edited by legit1337

I am not commenting against or in favour of any of your comments (personally I would love a more polished game, even on minor things), but I spotted the following:

And how long does it take to fix a broken scrollbar? .

It depends :-). Once, in the company that I work for it took us two weeks to fix a broken scrollbar. Yeah. Two weeks full-time - what a nightmare. But it had to be fixed, because the product would look unprofessional otherwise. Nothing functionally wrong, but the product would look amateurish. Usually, it is not that long, but in general you never know! :-)

PS: It's not that we are incompetent, it's just that the code sometimes can be overly complicated and inter-interacting. Professional coders can confirm that.

Ok you cant shoot the glass .. with is annoying and I watch as my Predator armor with heavy weapon shoots burt from the cheest since the animation shows only aiming one shot then holster weapon... taht is FREAKY Odd....

I'm not suggesting ignoring the gamebreakers to focus on the minutiae, but can't you fix both at once?
As an IT guy I hear this all the time at my job. But, realistically fixing stuff that affects the most people the most severely is the logical course of action. "The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few or the one." Also, sometimes minor bugs can take an inordinate amount of time to find and fix. That's why it's better to leave them until you're done with the big ones. You never know what you're going to get into on any bug hunt. There are known minor bugs in many systems that NEVER get fixed because it's simply not worth the effort.

Does no one else have the problem of windowed mode not working if you set the game resolution to your desktop / monitor's native res (v1.07)? There must be more people than me to who have multiple monitors and like to game in 'borderless fullscreen windowed mode' on the main monitor but being able to click over to the secondary monitor.

I think Chris said the game engine will switch to full screen if windowed mode selected is the same as your full screen resolution. There is no way to fix it. If you want windows you have to pick one smaller than your screen size.

Edited by StellarRat

I think Chris said the game engine will switch to full screen if windowed mode selected is the same as your full screen resolution. There is no way to fix it. If you windows you have to pick one smaller than your screen size.

That makes no sense. Why remove options, rather than give them? At the bare minimum, the launcher should unselect / deselect 'windowed mode' then, so we know that this is intended behavior.

I'm not suggesting ignoring the gamebreakers to focus on the minutiae, but can't you fix both at once? The specter fixes shouldn't take long at all, and there are a lot of community patches for them that would take very little time to evaluate, and integrate. And how long does it take to fix a broken scrollbar? Are you saying that spending time fixing it would seriously impede your ability to tackle the showstoppers? Forgive my ignorance if this is not the case, but it appears as if you are ignoring easily fixable issues because they are too "minor" for you to bother with.

You would be surprised to know how difficult it can be to correct "minor" issues. It may seem simple at a user's pov, but it can be a nightmare to get something like a scroll bar functioning correctly given the limitations of the engine. You'll have to trust Chris when he says the team could not get around to it and correct the game-breaking bugs at the same time. It sucks but that's development, especially for an independent project.

PS: Confirming that sometimes original code can be so bad that it makes what would otherwise be a simple fix take a lot longer.

Edited by ViewThePhenom

The road to fix those 1336 minor bugs still left in the game (at least we know how many they are!) is through community patches, such as Solver's. Just be patient and they will get addressed. Look at how the Fallout 2 community managed to fix literally hundreds of bugs which were probably harder to track and solve!

The road to fix those 1336 minor bugs still left in the game (at least we know how many they are!) is through community patches, such as Solver's. Just be patient and they will get addressed. Look at how the Fallout 2 community managed to fix literally hundreds of bugs which were probably harder to track and solve!

Wait a minute ..you were serious when you said "legit1337" is now "legit1336".I though you are referring on his never ending complaints not minor bugs ...

At least the bug of re-equipping and re-assigning your soldiers after the Chinook left for a mission, has been fixed. Don't know what else.

But now we can't change the positions of the troops in the Chinook. This is new as of the stealth 1.07 exp update today.

As it turns out, it doesn't happen 100% of the time. Nevertheless, it does happen a lot and definitely occurs without AI units being adjacent to the door. Maybe I should make a bug report, just in case?

Yes.

Well let's just say I'm cherishing the day he becomes legit0 :)

If you want to know my name has some history behind it.

Before I enlisted, in my youthful days as a high school student my main game was CS 1.6. I would play it constantly, and my favorite character model was the "elite crew" terrorist skin.

Then the few years where 1337 was being a "thing" on the internet happened. And... well I was 1337 before it was cool. :D

Edited by legit1337