Xenonauts V1.07 Released!

We've just released Xenonauts V1.07 on the Windows Steam Experimental Branch - it does not break save games. We'll leave it there for a couple of days for testing purposes and if there are no major issues with it, it'll be publicly released on Monday.

We're hoping this will be the last major cross-platform update to the game. It fixes most of the major bugs and issues in the game that we are capable of fixing and future updates are going to be more platform specific (i.e. Steam Workshop support will only be available in Steam builds etc).

As I've mentioned before, we may do a V1.1 patch at some point in the future that adds more content. We'll wait for things to settle down a bit post-launch if we do, though.

CHANGELOG:

- "Extras" launcher links now work

- Month-end Funding Screen now pops up before the Game Over screen if you lose the game

- We've fixed up the problem with the camera refusing to show the upper levels of a building if you have a soldier behind it, making upstairs aliens untargetable in some circumstances.

- GJ has rebalanced some of the AI to prevent a bit of the passivity encountered within UFOs.

- Removed a loading screen tip about the "safety in numbers" bonus which no longer appears.

- Harridan Elite now has the proper hover idle animations.

- Psionic attack sound made a little quieter.

- Final mission doors are now correctly destructible.

- Blowing up a Reaper Zombie with a vehicle cannon no longer spawns two Reapers, the second of which is invulnerable.

- Soldiers no longer grab their default Rifleman-role gear as soon as they are hired, three days before they actually arrive at base. In some cases, this led people to think they had "lost" manufactured items.

- TU reserve slider now resets correctly if you switch weapons.

- You can no longer abuse the TU Reserve slider to hit enemies with stun batons from the other side of the screen.

- Game no longer crashes when you send an empty dropship to an alien base

- Game no longer crashes if you build a base on top of a city and then try to relocate a plane there.

- Fixed an AI "freeze" when a unit is killed with a grenade just before it attempts to reaction fire.

This build is more likely to be unstable than previous ones, hence it getting an extended stay on the Experimental branch before we push it out everywhere else. Please give it a test.

Modders: We've updated aiprops.xml, gc_loadingtips.xml, sounds_gc.xml. Also possibly check strings.xml to see if it has been updated for you.

- We've fixed up the problem with the camera refusing to show the upper levels of a building if you have a soldier behind it, making upstairs aliens untargetable in some circumstances.

And I already lost hope about it. Great news.

- Soldiers no longer grab their default Rifleman-role gear as soon as they are hired, three days before they actually arrive at base. In some cases, this led people to think they had "lost" manufactured items.

So what do they equip - are they "naked" sort of ?

As I've mentioned before, we may do a V1.1 patch at some point in the future that adds more content. We'll wait for things to settle down a bit post-launch if we do, though.

Looking forward to it. Are save games from 1.06 be compatible with the 1.07 version or starting a new game will be required?

(underwater missions anyone?)!

Yeah, I was thinking the same when reading this news, although I would prefer destructible UFO walls and roofs in Ground Missions.

Will this also fix the problem of hidden lower levels? When using flying units I encountered this problem a lot. When doing cruisers it was always bug 1: flying high, spotting enemies in the left wing, bug 2: when turn starts and I have a flying unit selected it's not possible to look into the cruiser until either the unit goes in itself (landing doesn't help) or: a different unit goes to the edge of the right wing...felt quite absurd.

Is there any way to download this patch manually? I ask, just because have heavely modded game with my oun settings in lot of files, so steam will overwrite all this, for only 4 changet files, if i'm not wrong... So, if it will be possible, i'll be very happy! And big thanks for everything you do!

Is there any way to download this patch manually? I ask, just because have heavely modded game with my oun settings in lot of files, so steam will overwrite all this, for only 4 changet files, if i'm not wrong... So, if it will be possible, i'll be very happy! And big thanks for everything you do!

Best bet would be to make a copy of your Xenonauts directory then download the patch. You can then copy the updated files over to this backup and just play off that instead.

Is this version compatible with X:CE or the latter will need a patch from Solver to work?

This.

I'm getting too bored in my current playthrough. I've got 3 bases built full of foxtrots, 3 labs, 6 workshops, and funding is still greater than my maintenance. All I've been seeing for two months is corvettes which turned the ground game into a huge snoozefest. I want to start the game afresh and have been waiting for a good time to do so.

One of the things I was waiting for is the fix to the passive AI inside UFOs which made every single corvette fight play out the same on the ground (stack up six shotgunners outside, have them run in and block all the doors, then blitz the UFO crew and melt their faces with muzzle blasts). It sounds like this was fixed in the current patch.

Some of the changes in the Community Edition sound really appealing (time scaling in air combat and editable starting soldier roles). So will I need to wait for an update to the Community Edition or will I be able to patch the game to 1.07 and then apply the CE v.21 overtop?

I'd also love to add some mods; Dynamic UFO Spawns sounds like exactly what my game needs, same goes for Flying Circus. Will adding both make the UFOs unstoppable? Also looking at Fire in the Hole, Lore+, Skitso's Oppressive UI and his much lauded Map Pack. Are all those compatible these days?

And before I forget, AWESOME WORK Goldenhawk and thanks for the continued support! The game has a few flaws but nothing else has had me this pre-occupied since I stopped mainlining heroin.

Edited by BuzuBuzu

I'm getting too bored in my current playthrough. I've got 3 bases built full of foxtrots, 3 labs, 6 workshops, and funding is still greater than my maintenance. All I've been seeing for two months is corvettes which turned the ground game into a huge snoozefest. I want to start the game afresh and have been waiting for a good time to do so.

Here's some advices:

1. Stop fighting EVERY land mission. It's not worth it, believe me. If you assault one or 2 land missions in each wave, it'll be ok in experience, resource and overall game-play feel. You still take down every ufo, which is good enough for air superiority.

2. After you'll get used to not attack everyone, you'll notice, that research will come faster to you, new thingies will open finally, and as well, enemies will come to you in ore wider specter. Corvettes are very easy. Just wait till you'll meet carriers and battleships. Those are things, you will be willing to assault just once.

3. One general advice is, that if your maintenance cost is much lower than profit from funding, it means you really don't need to assault every damn ufo. Just bombard them and clear sky from those pesky aliens. )

Here's some advices:

1. Stop fighting EVERY land mission. It's not worth it, believe me. If you assault one or 2 land missions in each wave, it'll be ok in experience, resource and overall game-play feel. You still take down every ufo, which is good enough for air superiority.

2. After you'll get used to not attack everyone, you'll notice, that research will come faster to you, new thingies will open finally, and as well, enemies will come to you in ore wider specter. Corvettes are very easy. Just wait till you'll meet carriers and battleships. Those are things, you will be willing to assault just once.

3. One general advice is, that if your maintenance cost is much lower than profit from funding, it means you really don't need to assault every damn ufo. Just bombard them and clear sky from those pesky aliens. )

You're definitely right! That's another way I could play the game. In my case though it's easy to say but hard to do because I'm an OCD min/maxer at heart and those crashed UFOs just look too shiny for airstrikes.

That's why I'm incredibly excited about the Dynamic UFO Spawn mod because it will hopefully force me to choose only a few UFOs to down per wave and otherwise give some variety to the land missions. Just wondering whether it AND the flying circus mod will make things hard to manage.

I'd also love to add some mods; Dynamic UFO Spawns sounds like exactly what my game needs, same goes for Flying Circus. Will adding both make the UFOs unstoppable? Also looking at Fire in the Hole, Lore+, Skitso's Oppressive UI and his much lauded Map Pack. Are all those compatible these days?

Not quite. You can get FitH, Lore+ and Dynamic UFO spawns working together. There isn't a compatibility patch to make Oppressive UI work with Dynamic UFOs, though. Flying Circus should work fine with all of them, I think.

For what it's worth, when I last did a proper test of Dynamic UFOs I was playing with Flying Circus as well. Felt reasonable to me - the air combat took a bit of getting used to but that's to be expected.