[v1.5/X:CE] Fire in the Hole! Destructible UFO Hulls (v1.3.3)

kabill

I'm currently trying to install it in different ways, first i tried to install it via the mod manager when you launch the game, the flamethrower bugged, i uninstalled it via the mod manager the flamethrower works fine.

Now i tried to install it manually extracting "Fire in The Hole" directory into asses\mods, the flame thrower got bugged again.

I also noticed that "Into Darkness Hellgate" has a note under the link to your mod that says:

"Note:Read install notes for Fire in The Hole carefully

1)Download Fire in the Hole! without add-ons.

2)Extract only tiles and maps"

Tried extracting only the maps and tiles, it crashes the game after you use the breaching device.

P.S Just to clarify, Steam Xenonauts is set to "Community - Xenonauts: Community Edition Branch" in the "Betas" Tab i copy the steam Xenonauts to different directory and use the mods on that copy. So i will not need to verify files integrity in Steam all the time.

But, i always use a clean copy from Steam.

Edit: Ok, i tested again with only extracting maps and tiles, flamethrower works fine, and the breach device explodes and doesn't crash.

I will need to test it on the UFO walls now, can i use the mod only with maps and tiles extracted? or do i need the whole package?

Hopefully i didn't went full retard on this..

Edited by Gaudium

hey

Open Doors - Exterior has both interior and exterior files inside , is this intended also can you do the same for alien bases ?

and i just to make sure i should just extract these files into my main folder since the file inside is named assets ?

Mmm, no it's not intended. Indeed, I remember someone reporting that a very long time ago and I thought I sorted it out. Should have some time over the weekend to sort it, but for the time being if you're only interested in the external doors not auto-closing, just extract the external bit.

So I recently downloaded the FitH mod for my game, along with Armoured Assault, Skitzos Hidden movement fix, mappack and Jeezy's real armour and portraits. Everything was working fine in the game up until recently - whereupon using a breach charge causes an immediate game crash. No error message or anything, just straight CTD. Now I can't imagine going back to the vanilla game, so I'm really hoping someone here can help me out!

And yes, I am sing the most recent CE version of Xenonauts.

So I recently downloaded the FitH mod for my game, along with Armoured Assault, Skitzos Hidden movement fix, mappack and Jeezy's real armour and portraits. Everything was working fine in the game up until recently - whereupon using a breach charge causes an immediate game crash. No error message or anything, just straight CTD. Now I can't imagine going back to the vanilla game, so I'm really hoping someone here can help me out!

And yes, I am sing the most recent CE version of Xenonauts.

Did it happen when you tried to equip the charge in hand, when you primed it, or when it exploded?

In any case, it would probably be useful if you upload a savegame so I can have a look, if that's possible.

Thanks for the quick reply Kabill - however it seems whatever bug it was sorted itself out. I had to try 3 clean reinstalls of the mod, but now it appears to be working jut fine. Weird, but I'm not complaining!

I have however run into a small issue. I downloaded your open doors patch, and it seems to have no effect on the UFOs at all. The other mods work fine, but the UFO doors continue to auto close at the end of each turn. It's not a huge gameplay issue, but if you have any suggestions I'd be grateful.

Anyway, thanks for some truly incredible mods, and making a great game even better!

• 1 month later...

Niche Update: I have updated all of the optional extras so that they run using the new mod system. Although I'm confident that they should work fine, I'd be grateful if anyone uses them if they could confirm that they're working in case I've made a stupid mistake somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried using a breaching charge on the side of an alien craft and I can't seem to place the device.

N05QSwN.png

edit: Starting looking around the 22 pages in this thread and finally found:

Sounds like you're possibly trying to throw the breaching charge at the hull. To use the charge, you should drop it next to the vulnerable section instead.

Might want to put some of this in the first post to help people out who are having issues.

Edited by Met

Might want to put some of this in the first post to help people out who are having issues.

It actually is, under the 'tips' section in the appendix. I'd hidden it away in a spoiler tag to avoid taking too much space, though, so maybe not very obvious. I've now removed that so it should be easier to find.

I am using XCE 031 HF, using the optionals for Doors.

Working perfectly.

Also, I will take the time to thank you for doing all of this, I have installed some of your other mods and I must say they really enhanced my experience.

I like this one in particular because of the breach charges, it just goes hand in hand with the rest of the destructible enviroment, and having specialized equipment for the strong ship hulls makes perfect sense.

Thank you so much for doing this, and kudos for a very good job.

• 1 month later...
there seams to be a bug with ledges where you can "jump" in the ship thought the breaching area even when the ship hull is intact

Not quite sure what you mean. Is this with soldiers who are flying? If so, it's a bug with the base game whereby soldiers can fly down into supposedly solid objects. The only advice I can give is to be careful with your movement around UFOs when flying.

(If this isn't what you mean, any chance you could get a screenshot to illustrate the problem?)

guess il show you , its easier

2015-03-19_00001.jpg

here you can see that the hull is intact, confirmed by the fact that i have no vision inside the ship

2015-03-19_00002.jpg

but i can jump over that fence right into the ship , i have tried walking into it and it works its not just some wierd pathing bug

its a preaty neat trick , the aliens wont know what hit em

2015-03-19_00001.jpg

2015-03-19_00002.jpg

2015-03-19_00001.thumb.jpg.c637b6e309a43

2015-03-19_00002.thumb.jpg.fc45393d5513e

Edited by fall19

Ah, ok, I think that's because of the fence as there's currently a bug which allows you to move into what would otherwise be blocked tiles when vaulting. Although I've only ever seen the AI do this. Until it can be fixed in XCE, it should be pretty easy to avoid though.

• 3 months later...

New interior maps of UFO much more intersting than Vanilla!

But idea with breaking charge is not good for me.

How it possible to use all version of interiors (vanilla, alternative, actual) in game without destructable hulls feature?

It will be a classic gameplay with more variety.

Thank you

The short answer is: you can't.

The longer answer is: you can but you will need to change some file names and there will be a few issues. Instructions:

- Unpack Fire in the Hole as normal

- Open the folder assets/mods/Fire in the Hole/maps/ufos/crashed

- For each UFO folder, change the filenames of the two unnumbered files. For example, the Battleship folder change the files battleship_layout and battleship_layout_alt to something like battleship_layout_01 and battleship_layout_02

- Open the folder assets/mods/Fire in the Hole/maps/ufos/landed

- For each UFO folder, change the filename of one of the files and delete the other. For example, in the Battleship folder change the file battleship_layout to battleship_layout_mod and then delete the file battleship_layout_alt

Doing this will reintroduce the vanilla maps into the map pool. However, there are a few problems:

- The vanilla maps will not have any crash damage around them as these features are embedded in the FitH maps.

- The vanilla crash maps will be much less likely to be selected than the FitH maps.

- The FitH maps will still have destructible sections.

To resolve first two issues, I would recommend also using my Enhanced Crash Sites mod. This adds crash damage to the vanilla UFO layouts (resolving problem one) and will increase the likelihood of a vanilla layout being chosen to a ratio of 1:1:2, i.e. there's twice the chance of the FitH layout being chosen compared with each of the two vanilla layouts. To make this work properly, however, you will need to rename all of the UFO crash maps packaged with Fire in the Hole to something different (if you put an underscore at the beginning of each map filename that would work).

There's no way of resolving the final issue, however. Most of the time it shouldn't matter as you can simply choose not to exploit the breach-points. However, you will still spawn maps with parts of the hull already destroyed. You could resolve this by removing the corresponding map files but I can't remember which files spawn pre-damaged UFOs and, truth to say, I'm too lazy to check.

Thanks, kabill

Does game engine use one of layouts from assets/mods/Fire in the Hole/maps/ufos/crashed/... (or landed) and chance of any layout is same?

Ok, if I will use “Fire in the hole” mod and copy to it all layouts from Alternative version (and rename if needed), will it be in game all versions of your interiors?

Is it possible somehow to use with FitH mod also Vanilla layouts (maybe from “Enhanced crash sites” mod?) Or they already present in FitH?

Your assistance gratefully received.

Thanks, kabill

Does game engine use one of layouts from assets/mods/Fire in the Hole/maps/ufos/crashed/... (or landed) and chance of any layout is same?

In the vanilla game, there are two UFO layouts for each UFO type. Fire in the Hole only has one UFO layout but several variants with different levels of damage. These layouts overwrite the vanilla layouts so the latter can't be selected.

When the game loads a new ground combat mission, it picks randomly from the available UFO maps. So in vanilla there is a 50/50 chance of each map type being chosen. With Fire in the Hole, there are 10 maps per UFO with different levels of damage so there is a 1/10 chance of any given map being chosen. However, when you combine the two, the 10 Fire in the Hole maps compared with the 2 vanilla maps mean that the vanilla maps are much less likely to be chosen (1/12 for each) compared with the Fire in the Hole maps (10/12, differences in crash damage notwithstanding).

I think that answers the question.

Ok, if I will use “Fire in the hole” mod and copy to it all layouts from Alternative version (and rename if needed), will it be in game all versions of your interiors?

Is it possible somehow to use with FitH mod also Vanilla layouts (maybe from “Enhanced crash sites” mod?) Or they already present in FitH?

Your assistance gratefully received.

By 'alternative version' do you mean the old, optional Fire in the Hole maps? If so, yes that should work.

The maps from Enhanced Crash Sites are not included in Fire in the Hole because they don't have breach-points. Hence if you want to use them you will need to include Enhanced Crash Sites separately.

Honestly, your best bet might be to install Enhanced Crash Sites first, then copy/paste map files from other mods into Enhanced Crash Sites and rename these copied files as appropriate. That way, you're keeping all the maps in one place (making mod organisation easier) and it will avoid missing any file name duplicates.

Hope that helps.