[v1.5/X:CE] Fire in the Hole! Destructible UFO Hulls (v1.3.3)

kabill

I've been noticing that since the update to CE 0.28 corvettes (not sure about the name - the medium sized ones with the 2-tiles wide entrance and a long floor, followed by a broad room) don't seem to have a destructible side. I started playing with 0.27 and FitH. Did I miss something (maybe need to reinstall?) or is it a bug?

I've been noticing that since the update to CE 0.28 corvettes (not sure about the name - the medium sized ones with the 2-tiles wide entrance and a long floor, followed by a broad room) don't seem to have a destructible side. I started playing with 0.27 and FitH. Did I miss something (maybe need to reinstall?) or is it a bug?

I'm having the same problem, i prime the breaching charge and when i hover the cursor over different parts of the corvette they light up, but the cursor is showing the crossed out icon.

As this is my first playthrough with FitH, i thought i just didn't know how to use it, but i've tried everything i could come up with and no luck.

Also, i think i couldn't breach scouts either, but i'm no longer sure if i tried it or just assumed they were to small to breach.

save game:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11702530/assault%202.sav

I'm having the same problem, i prime the breaching charge and when i hover the cursor over different parts of the corvette they light up, but the cursor is showing the crossed out icon.

As this is my first playthrough with FitH, i thought i just didn't know how to use it, but i've tried everything i could come up with and no luck.

Also, i think i couldn't breach scouts either, but i'm no longer sure if i tried it or just assumed they were to small to breach.

save game:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11702530/assault%202.sav

Sounds like you're possibly trying to throw the breaching charge at the hull. To use the charge, you should drop it next to the vulnerable section instead.

How can we recognize vulnerable sections?

Best bet is to free-target over the hull and they will light up. If you're using XCE 0.28, merely passing the cursor over a NE facing section will cause it to turn transparent. On the SW facing segments (and when the UFO hull isn't displaying), you can also look at the ground 'shadow': there's some slightly lighter areas which indicate where you can breach. Hopefully a combination of those methods will help!

@Knobby: No problem.

I don't know if I should report it as a bug, or rather strange oddity. The engine explosions passes over the black wall. Maybe you could reduce the explosions of the engines a little bit? The soldier is standing on the first tile of the breach. there are 2 tiles of UFO hull between the second gap and the soldier. The explosion in theory should not pass the UFO hull.

mpc-hc 2014-09-04 19-26-47-76.jpg

mpc-hc 2014-09-04 19-26-47-76.jpg

577e7d21d2fca_mpc-hc2014-09-0419-26-47-7

The exterior ones will probably work. Don't think the internal ones will though as XNT changes the interior door spectres too (so it's one or the other on those).

Really, they need modularising in any case. It's plausible I will do that in the not-immediate-future.

Hmm, using your mod with XCE 0.28 and I can't break the UFO hulls.

I had a scout as in your video (post #2) and did exactly the same thing at the same spot on the ground. Explosion but no breach. I even repeated the blast with up to 4 charges, no luck.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a random damage generator that just don't like me?

Otherwise, fire, smoke and damage are really nice.

Also, in the beginning I was sceptic about your dynamic UFO spawns as I though it will change it drastically. But no, it is just a slight chnage that fits really good. Can't play without anymore.

I found another issue with balconies. When using rockets for example on the upper floor or at least it detonates in near vicinity of balcony. The soldiers on lower floor will get hit by explosion. Don't know if should be addressed in XCE or your mod tough.

xenonauts 2014-09-14 14-10-27-62.jpg

In this image I have "planted" a rocket between those two tiles on fire. The soldiers that were beneath, face hugging the wall that separates teleporter room with cargo room, where hit by explosion.

Same applies to balcony in Carrier.

xenonauts 2014-09-14 14-10-27-62.jpg

577e7d2500c36_xenonauts2014-09-1414-10-2

WILL NO ONE RID ME OF THIS TURBULENT MOD!

Ahem. By which I mean: thanks for this. I'll have a look at it when I am not being overwhelmed with work. In the mean time, since they appear to be pretty buggy, it might be worth reverting to the old Carrier maps until I can get around to fixing the issues. This shouldn't be too much of a problem gameplay wise as I don't think the designs for these were as problematic as some of the smaller UFOs, and will allow you to continue playing without bugs (hopefully; I never found any with the tests I did of them).

To do this, delete the carrier maps in the mods/FitH folder and copy-paste the alternative carrier UFOs into the vanilla directory (not modularised unfortunately) and it should work fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Got more bad news about the carrier UFO. Got my soldier stuck inside a wall. Was trying to blow up the ramp - It didn't get destroyed and if I land on the doorstep above the doors (or whatever you call it), the soldier gets stuck inside UFO wall. Did I drop the charge on right elevation? (that read ramp sort on 3rd level?

xenonauts_2014_09_25_18_38_36_521.jpg

xenonauts_2014_09_25_18_38_41_068.jpg

xenonauts_2014_09_25_18_38_36_521.jpg

xenonauts_2014_09_25_18_38_41_068.jpg

xenonauts_2014_09_25_18_38_36_521.thumb.

xenonauts_2014_09_25_18_38_41_068.thumb.

Edited by silencer

Yes, the charge should go on level 3 (on the right hand side, where the damaged bit is on the second picture)

I suspect the getting stuck thing will be something to do with flying down into UFO wall tiles which should be (but isn't) blocked for some reason. Should be possible to work around though by blocking off all such tiles from above.