[v1.5/X:CE] Dynamic UFO Spawns (v1.0)

kabill

In the early game, the number of aliens on terror missions seems way too high. Basically they are impossible (for me) to clear with what you can fit in the starting dropship (a vehicle and 6 soldiers).

Maybe it's just me? I'm not saying that these missions should be a success every time but I've more or less had to skip the terror missions while rushing for the dropship upgrade.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but maybe the number of aliens on terror missions should start low and ramp up over time?

• 3 weeks later...

This is one mod I think I am going to uninstall. My beginning of second month first small ship taken down had reapers.. them things have tons of TU and one hit killed almost my entire assault crew on there first turn. I definitely don't call that balanced.

@molitar Well, in vanilla the game follow a repetitive path, so this mod add a little of "Ramdonnes" and surprises on the crew composition (being really logic after you think about it). Remember that retreating is also a valid option....if you get overhelmed by enemies then you should leave the GC asap and then try to attack other missions and upgrade your equipment(airstrike ufos if you are not sure also work)...never try to chew more than you can eat :P.

This is one mod I think I am going to uninstall. My beginning of second month first small ship taken down had reapers.. them things have tons of TU and one hit killed almost my entire assault crew on there first turn. I definitely don't call that balanced.

That shouldn't be possible. The smallest UFO you can get a Reaper on is a Corvette (which is when they start appearing in vanilla as well). So either there's an odd bug that's making them appear on Scouts (although this would more likely to be the result of a mod I think) or else it was a Corvette you were facing in which case its reasonable to expect them to be difficult if you down one ahead of the usual vanilla UFO progression. (The beginning of October is only a few weeks away from then Corvettes can start appearing in vanilla in any case.)

Not that I'm trying to persuade you to keep on with the mod, mind. You're quite welcome to do what you want! But I'm not convinced what you've described is a problem (unless it's a bug) and I wouldn't want other people to be put off the mod because of it.

That shouldn't be possible. The smallest UFO you can get a Reaper on is a Corvette (which is when they start appearing in vanilla as well). So either there's an odd bug that's making them appear on Scouts (although this would more likely to be the result of a mod I think) or else it was a Corvette you were facing in which case its reasonable to expect them to be difficult if you down one ahead of the usual vanilla UFO progression. (The beginning of October is only a few weeks away from then Corvettes can start appearing in vanilla in any case.)

Not that I'm trying to persuade you to keep on with the mod, mind. You're quite welcome to do what you want! But I'm not convinced what you've described is a problem (unless it's a bug) and I wouldn't want other people to be put off the mod because of it.

Maybe it was a bug... Here is the thread showing what mod's I had installed. So do you think one of them messed with yours causing this bug to crop up? Also I think there was probably 3 of them or so as it was dark and I saw one from one direction than 2 dead.. than another appeared I think from another direction and like 3 dead. Didn't have time to flee or anything. Should there be that many on a single ship? I know at least and think I saw maybe a third.

if you played the old xcom from 1994....you'll now that reapers are the equivalents to the nasty and feared chrissalids and i dont want to spoiler you but

they zombify their victims and after a few turns a new crissalid hatch up to bring you more terror in the already FUBAR mission :P.

. It was a scout right? (that one with "wings" and a circular green center?...or you cannot even aproach to ufo and get slaughtered before you saw it?).

Is really weird because i also use this mod and of course i got "earlier" reapers but only because i get greedy and decided to assault a premature LANDED corvette(bad idea xD).

Maybe it was a bug... Here is the thread showing what mod's I had installed. So do you think one of them messed with yours causing this bug to crop up? Also I think there was probably 3 of them or so as it was dark and I saw one from one direction than 2 dead.. than another appeared I think from another direction and like 3 dead. Didn't have time to flee or anything. Should there be that many on a single ship? I know at least and think I saw maybe a third.

Had a look at that and I can't see anything that could cause an issue. Of course, Reapers can make more reapers but if this happened on your first turn then there should have been an upper limit of 2 on a Corvette (and as I say there shouldn't have been anything on a UFO smaller than that).

I'm also a little confused as to how they killed so many of your soldiers so quickly. It seems like only two directly attacked you and they either have a 35% TU cost to attack (limiting them to 2 attacks a turn) or 30% (which allows 3 in principle, but they'd have to start basically next to your units which would themselves have to be adjacent to one another). I can't remember which but in any case two reapers killing 5 soldiers in one turn should be either impossible or close to given their vanilla stats.

So I really don't know what's going on. Fairly certain that's not normal behaviour in any case; I've never experienced anything like that myself!

Well glad it's not the norm. So do you think it's the way it was installed? Problem is I am using the Steam XCE and it has the normal assets folder than it has /mods/xce with asset categories. I dd find out from the Oppressive CE UI that I needed to delete the /mods/internal folder so the colors worked properly as it created all new files in that folder. So not sure if not deleting them originally could of caused the issue or not.

Honestly have no idea. Have you have other mods installed in the past at all? That's more or less the only idea I've got. Unless it's breaking with xce 0.30 for some reason but I can't see why that would be. Is there any chance you might have been mistaken and it was actually a corvette rather than a scout? That would at least make the two reapers you definitely faced make sense.

A single condor? That implies it was a light scout of all things.

Heh, just to check: were they definitely reapers? I.e. melee aliens that turn your units into zombies? It occurs to me that if you're new to the game you might be using the wrong name is all and that would explain a lot. It's probably not this, but now I've thought about it I can't not ask.

They looked to be a purplish they ran so fast and visibility was limited.. they had what appeared to be like pincers or that on there shoulder. Guess pincers is about the best way I could describe what they looked like kind of like a praying mantis had but on both shoulders.

Wow, Kabill. Trying this mod for the first time. Day 18 shoot down a corvette. Despite misgivings, I decide to try it with my squad of ballistic corporals and sergeants.

Desert map. Move most of my troops out of the Charlie, carefully positioning them behind nearby rocks and mesas. End turn. Three reapers come screaming around the mesas, all three attacking and zombifying soldiers. Two sebs come running straight at me, firing and killing 2 more guys. 5 of 8 people dead; surrounded by six reapers/zombies and at least two sebs (that I can immediately see). One guy panics and takes off, the other two dive back into the Charlie and abort.

Well, that was certainly more "dynamic" lol. As your stated objectives were to diversify the crew composition and increase the risk/reward calculation, I must say you definitely achieved those goals. Holy crap. I'm a bit in shock, but also loving it

Wow, Kabill. Trying this mod for the first time. Day 18 shoot down a corvette. Despite misgivings, I decide to try it with my squad of ballistic corporals and sergeants.

Desert map. Move most of my troops out of the Charlie, carefully positioning them behind nearby rocks and mesas. End turn. Three reapers come screaming around the mesas, all three attacking and zombifying soldiers. Two sebs come running straight at me, firing and killing 2 more guys. 5 of 8 people dead; surrounded by six reapers/zombies and at least two sebs (that I can immediately see). One guy panics and takes off, the other two dive back into the Charlie and abort.

Well, that was certainly more "dynamic" lol. As your stated objectives were to diversify the crew composition and increase the risk/reward calculation, I must say you definitely achieved those goals. Holy crap. I'm a bit in shock, but also loving it

How long had you been playing the mission for when three reapers attacked? Outside of Terror and Base Attack missions the most reapers you should see spawning is 2 on a Corvette (and you shouldn't have been facing either of those mission types then). Obviously reapers can kill and make more, but by the sounds of it this happened very early in the mission before this would have been possible.

I'm asking mainly because of the issue reported above which sounds very similar (reaper rush at the beginning of the mission, more than should be spawning). It's not necessarily a major issue, but if it's a bug there might be similar bugs elsewhere.

(But glad you've enjoyed it so far in any case!)