Xtended Soldiers Backgrounds

Pinetree

I took the liberty of correcting the portuguese names section. Things i did:

- Removed all the spanish names and surnames as well as corrected some names which were spelled the spanish way

- Removed names that exist in Brazil and Angola/Mozambique/Guinea but don't exist in Portugal

- Added some very common names and surnames that were missing (how could you not put the most common surname "Silva"??? ;) J/K)

PS: it became apparent that the person who did this is a football fan :) "Figo", "Baia", "Folha" and "Peixe" are not common at all, but I recognize them from the Golden Generation starting 11 :P

http://ge.tt/67nqpdL1/v/0?c

Awesome, thanks! I can't remember where I got the Portuguese names from but that's funny with the football names, I did something similar with the South Africans as I got most of the Afrikaner names from a list of former Springbok rugby players. :D Welcome to the forums btw.

I'll update the mod with the corrected Czechoslovaks and Portugese when v22 comes out

• 2 months later...

Really like the mod, but I had a question (and spent half an hour reading the entire thread to make sure no one had already asked). Is there a particular reason you didn't include the PPCLI as a Canadian regiment, other than the amazingly long name? They were in Cyprus, so including them would be a good way to have more than one experienced regiment from Canada.

Here's the Wikipedia page for the regiment, if you're interested.

• 1 month later...

Warsaw Pact:

Soviet Union

Units:
Spetsnaz GRU - Special forces
Group Alfa - Anti-terrorist unit
Airborne VDV - Paratroopers
Experience:
Afghanistan
Ethiopia
Sino-Soviet border
Vietnam - Spetsnaz only
Nice, I'll have to give this a try sometime...although "Special Forces" is not an actual regiment. Nor was I aware the Russians ever fought in Vietnam?

Also at some point we'll have to work out the character limit for the first and last names, because some of the eastern european ones can be very long and they go off the edge of the screen.

16obrspn.jpg

"SPETSNAZ" a general acronyms (voiska SPETSialnogo NAZnacheniya) for all the special forces in the military and police. Also has the acronym "OSNAZ" (voiska OSobogo NAZnacheniya).

Special units are part of all military divisions and have the prefix SpN (Special Forces, e.g. "spetsnaz") for Army Special Forces under GRU GSh* and OsN (Special Purpose Detachment, e.g. "osnaz" ) for radioprospecting and electronic reconnaissance.

For example, air defense (russian acronym - PVO) regiments armed with MiG-31 are also special forces (spetsnaz) and have the prefix "SpN". Army Guard units sometimes referred to as special forces.

Historically, make the initial name of spetsnaz wearing only special units GRU GSh.

Soviet secret service, elite military units and armed forces in the years 1950-1980 was carried out military and covert operations in the following countries and conflicts:

- USSR (Anti-terrorism and counterintelligence)

- Switzerland

- Cuba

- USA

- Israel

- FRG

- Hungary

- Czechoslovakia

- Poland

- Afghanistan

- Vietnam (Vietnam War)

- Korea (Korean War)

- The battle for the island Damanskii

- Angola (civil war in Angola)

- Ethiopia (civil war in Ethiopia)

- War for Ogaden

etc...

In 1979-1984 there were the following special forces units and elite troops(without Air Defense Special Forces and Air Force Special Forces):

1.Soviet Ministry of Defence special forces:

1.1. Spetsnaz GRU GSh (Army Spetsnaz units)

Consist of (1979):

15-th separate brigade of special purpose:

-154 ooSpN (1 omsb) - 1st "Musbat" (tranclate "1st muslim's battalion") in 1979

-177 ooSpN (2 omsb) - 2nd "Musbat" (tranclate "2nd muslim's battalion") in 1979

-334 ooSpN (5 omsb)

-668 ooSpN (4 omsb)

22-th separate brigade of special purpose

-173 ooSpN (3 omsb)

-370 ooSpN (6 omsb)

-186 ooSpN (7 omsb)

-411 ooSpN (8 omsb)

specnaz3.jpg

spetsnaz2.jpg

spetsnazafgan.jpg

1.2. Naval Spetsnaz GRU GSh

SpN PDSS (Protivo-Diversionnye Sily i Sredstva - Anti-diversionary forces and means) - Soviet Marine Commando.

Informally name: "Frogmen"

frogman2.jpg

1.3. Osnaz GRU GSh

Consist of

- 1st Division SIGINT 6th Departament of GRU.

- 2nd Division ELINT 6th Departament of GRU.

- 3rd Technical Section 6th Departament of GRU.

- 4th Division tracking 6th Departament of GRU.

2.Spetsnaz KGB USSR:

2.1. Spetsgruppa "A" - Departament "A" Seventh Directorate of the KGB.

Now known as "Group Alpha"

alpha.jpg

alpha1.jpg

2.2. Spetsgruppa "B" (Cyrillic for V) - Departament "B" Eighth Management Division "C" (Cyrillic for S) of the KGB PGU USSR** (1981)

Now known as "Group Vympel", early "Vega".

Formed from:

-Detachment of special purpose "Zenit" (translate "zenith") - 1979

-Detachment of special purpose "Kaskad" (translate "cascade") - 1979

-Detachment of special purpose "Omega" - 1979

-Detachment of special purpose "Grom" (former from a part of Spetsgruppa A) - 1979

2.3. Separate Red Banner Kremlin Regiment of the KGB USSR

kremlin2.jpg

3. Soviet Ministry of Internal Affairs (MVD) special forces:

3.1. Special forces of Internal Troops (Spetsnaz VV***)

The most famous is OMSDON - Independent Orders of Lenin and October Revolution Red Banner Special-Purpose Motorized Rifle Division of the Internal Troops of the MVD of the Soviet Union "F. E. Dzerzhinsky"****

Now know as ODON

Unofficional name: Dzerzhinsky Division.

Moto: "At any time, any place - any task!"

Distinctive headgear: Maroon beret since1978

maroon.jpg

VV.jpg

3.2. Special police units (Osnaz MVD)

OMON - Otryad Militsii Osobogo Naznacheniya (Special Purpose Police Unit). First formed in 1979 from 2nd Regiment patrol police (Moscow), finally formed in 1988.

Moto: "Honor and glory!"

Unofficional name: Black Berets.

Distinctive headgear: Bkack beret

omon_riga.jpg

4. Elite troops (many incorrectly call these units "spetsnaz")

4.1 VDV - Vozdushno-desantnye voyska (Air-Landing Forces)

The unofficial name: "Winged Infantry", also "Blue Berets"

Moto: "Nobody, but us!"

Distinctive headgear:Blue beret

Consit of (1979):

- 7th Guards Cherkassy Airborne Division (HQ Kaunas Fortress, Lithuanian SSR)

- 76th Guards Chernigov Airborne Division (Pskov, RSFSR)

- 98th Guards Svir Airborne Division (Bolgrad & Kishinev, Moldovan SSR)

- 103rd Guards Airborne Division (Vitebsk, Belorussian SSR)

- 104th Guards Airborne Division (Kirovabad, Azerbaijan SSR)

- 105th Guards Airborne Division, 45th Independent Guards Airborne Regiment (Frgana, Uzbekskaj SSR)

- 106th Guards Airborne Division (Tula, RSFSR)

- 44th District Training Centre of the Airborne Forces (Gaižiūnai/Jonava, Lithuanian SSR)

vdv1.jpg

4.2.Naval Infantry - Morskaya Pekhota(Marines)

The unofficial name: "Black Death", also "Black Berets" or "Black Jackets"

Motto: "There, Where We Are, There is Victory!"

Distinctive headgear: Black beret

Consist of (1979/1980):

- 55th Mozyrskaya Red Banner Marine Division (Pacific Fleet)

- 61st Kirkinesskaya Red Banner Marine Brigade (Northern Fleet).The unofficial name: "Sputnik"

- 175th Separate Brigade of Marines (Northern Fleet)

- 336th Guards Bialystok Orders of Suvorov and Alexander Nevsky Separate Brigade of Marines (Baltic Fleet)

- 810th Separate Brigade of Marines (Black Sea Fleet)

- 127th Separate Naval Engineer Battalion (Baltic Fleet)

- 160th Separate Naval Engineer Battalion (Black Sea Fleet)

- 40th (22th) Independent Krasnodarsko-Kharbinsky Twice Red Banner (Motor Rifle Division) Naval Brigade***** (Pacific Fleet)

- 77th Guards Red Banner and Orders of Lenin and Suvorov Moscow-Chernigov Motor Rifle Division (Baltic Fleet)

- 3rd Guards Red Banner and Order of Suvorov Volnovaskiy Motor Rifle Division (Northern Fleet)

- 126th Red Banner Order of Suvorov Gorlovskaya Motor Rifle Division (Black Seaa Fleet)

marine1.jpg

4.3 KGB Border Troops (Pogranichnie Voiska KGB USSR) - Soviet Border Troops.

Moto: "For our Soviet Motherland!"

The unofficial name:"Greens"

Distinctive headgear: Green beret or Bright green forage cap

Consist of (only special forces):

- Separate Arctic frontier detachment

- Separate detachment of border control "Moscow"

- 105th separate border detachment for special purposes in the GDR

pogranichnik-sssr.jpg

4.4. Mountain Infantry

- 68th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade (mountain)

4.5. Any Guards Divisions

Such as military units Group of Soviet Forces in Germany and many other military units

motorizied.jpg

infantry.jpg

spetsnaz.jpg

Гвардия.jpg

P.S.

I put the original photos described subdivisions years 1968-1989, taken from different sources.

The first shows a modern chevron of 16th separate brigade of spetsnaz GRU GSh.

Sorry for my bad English

_____

* GRU GSh - Glavnoye Razvedyvatel'noye Upravleniye Generalnogo Shtaba - Main Intelligence Directorate of the General Staff

**KGB PGU USSR - this is illegal intelligence (non-official cover operative)

*** Soviet/Russian Internal Troops (Vnutrennie Voiska - acronym "VV") like as US National Guard

**** Units OMSDON guarded Allied leaders during the Yalta Conference.

*****The division was first formed on 22 September 1918, as the 2nd Nicholas Infantry Division. During the Russian Civil War was known as the Nicholas Soviet Infantry Division. During the Second World War was known as the 22nd Rifle Division. In the early years of the Cold War known as 22th Motor Rifle Division. In the later years of the Cold War became known as 40th Motor Rifle Division and 40th Naval Brigadge. Now known as 3rd Independent Naval Infantry Regiment.

guard.jpg

airbornspn.jpg

pogranichnik-sssr.jpg

omon_riga.jpg

frogman2.jpg

VV.jpg

specnaz3.jpg

spetsnaz2.jpg

vdv1.jpg

marine1.jpg

kremlin2.jpg

motorizied.jpg

Гвардия.jpg

infantry.jpg

spetsnaz.jpg

alpha.jpg

alpha1.jpg

16obrspn.jpg

maroon.jpg

guard.jpg

spetsnazafgan.jpg

airbornspn.jpg

pogranichnik-sssr.jpg.4ea527c43b0d7482da

omon_riga.jpg.26957fabab7f04c25631383139

frogman2.jpg.8169a91616ffd7a2eccf66904d9

VV.jpg.870492033d8f4cd6051626ebd994b971.

specnaz3.jpg.e17e3bd40d26bc2c6b8e84f0a37

spetsnaz2.jpg.17217a986a20a065a31a420abf

vdv1.jpg.5073e17a8ca9e3d9fbcd52f9d7acf32

marine1.jpg.ea5a88f0be52083953093d53345a

kremlin2.jpg.6c1a83a96d7275b3ee1d620140c

motorizied.jpg.9df2b5c1357b0fbf8d4a89019

577e7ceabf396_10431074107210881076108011

infantry.jpg.d1a9f744cd2b5bdd6ad5d2b7b86

spetsnaz.jpg.0c57a9ecdd898acb8dd1b139ada

alpha.jpg.4d5a110f68a9a140aab6b4630e436b

alpha1.jpg.0432ead3a4e3b765f2db880de62b7

16obrspn.jpg.fed44fba301e5956172e96a50ea

maroon.jpg.0dcf7aae4906af2c9dfc510879e32

guard.jpg.1c7bbf135682393e5d076f8322df3a

spetsnazafgan.jpg.01656bbdfb4801d9181df6

airbornspn.jpg.3b7b1590b902104dd596dffeb

Edited by CrazyFizik

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite, as he is missing the actual names of the nations in strings.xml

So for most nations you will just get the "####" tag, if you add each nation's:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0">

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">____</Data><NamedCell ss:Name="_FilterDatabase"/></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">____</Data><NamedCell ss:Name="_FilterDatabase"/></Cell>

</Row>

And copy-paste the content of both files in his "strings_xml_slices" directory to strings.xml, the mod should be compatible.

You need to replace the "___" in the piece of code i posted, with the names of the missing nations.

As in:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0">

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Icelander</Data><NamedCell ss:Name="_FilterDatabase"/></Cell>

<Cell><Data ss:Type="String">Icelander</Data><NamedCell ss:Name="_FilterDatabase"/></Cell>

</Row>

Plus the copy pasting of the experience and regiments.

• 1 month later...

I like the mod. But when I install the mod some of the Nationalities don't show up and instead are replaced with #####. It's starting to bug me is there anything I can do to fix this?

The only mods I'm using are Oppressive UI, Realistic armors, new ranks, and some new maps.

I like the mod. But when I install the mod some of the Nationalities don't show up and instead are replaced with #####. It's starting to bug me is there anything I can do to fix this?

The only mods I'm using are Oppressive UI, Realistic armors, new ranks, and some new maps.

At least one and probably more than one of those mods replaces the strings.xml, which this mod also does. You'll need to go through with winmerge or a text editor and copy all the lines for the new nationalities into the other mod's strings.xml.

Are you using the download link from this thread? If you are, that is an old version and you need to go here: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/10970-v1-07-Xtended-Backgrounds-Mod-(v0-7)

I no longer develop the mod and Ogaburan has taken over the reins so that thread is where you should look.

• 1 year later...