Return of the dead solider! (another one for the nice to have list)

There's been a lot of discussion recently in this forum about our little solider boys, and I was especially intrigued by the discussions on personal attachment and involvement with soliders and training and recruitment. These thoughts lead to me thinking about "so what happens to dead soldiers?". Well, in every other tactical strategy game like xenonauts they get swept into the great digital beyond to compare notes with all the aliens they've sent there already. Would it not be lovely if the soliders that died didn't stay dead? That there was a percentage chance of dead soliders being whisked off by the alien scum and turned into cyborged zombies, that come back and attack the players own troops! Never mind the soliders, could you imagine the shock on a player's face if a solider he had been especially attached to was brought back from the dead to serve the aliens?

I then went back and read the discussion on palette swaps. Oy vey. And I realised that this idea wasn't going to happen, not without a lot of effort and man-hours that don''t exist. So yeah, put this one on the nice to have pile... possibly for future DLC?

This got brought up before....I think its a no, partly because it doesn't quite fit the game and also because it would involve adding a bunch of extra stuff (namely, the game remembering the dead soldier's stats).

But having a soldier gunned down on the battlefield doesn't necessarily mean they are dead though. There's a chance they they will be merely horribly wounded.

Yes, it has been mentioned before. It's not a great use of resources though - in terms of programming and art assets it's a bit of a pain, but also lots of people play the game with regular saving to make sure they don't lose many of their best troops. These players would never see any of those zombie soldiers and that makes it a worse idea to implement an alien race like that rather than another conventional one that would appear in everyone's game.

In the new GUI I want the guy on the Personnel screen to have a tab that lists all the dead troops and when they died.

That will be a great feature, I suggest avatar, rank, name, age, nationality, missions, kills, as further information to be present on that list, and other cool stats that I haven't thought of.

Yeah, like that idea.

Two things are springing to mind though; Cannon Fodder, where the hills behind your troops slowly become covered with gravestones as you lost people on missions, each linking back to the guy you lost and the stone different depending on rank (it was a great visual way of telling you how much you sucked, and of making you miss the rare high-ranker you got potted), and for some reason,

I honestly thought this game was going to suggest a "Fallen Heroes" room in the base or the medical center, where you can see all the men who have died fighting for Xenonauts..
made me instantly imagine a room full of big glass tubes, each with the preserved corpse of a fallen xenonaut floating in it.

In the new GUI I want the guy on the Personnel screen to have a tab that lists all the dead troops and when they died.

A welcome addition. Always wanted some kind of a list to remember my fallen heroes, from the fresh rookies who fell on their first mission to the battle-hardened veterans. Of course they didn't have personalities like in Jagged Alliance, but I just made up something in my head to make the gameplay a bit more interesting for myself.

And yeah, this feature was great in Cannon Fodder.