Xenonauts: Community Edition discussion

Solver

IIRC, when you started ECS, you also had the problem that fire wasn't updating in areas not visible to players, causing the aliens to eventually burn to death, right?

Yes, that's right. This is why I want to be able to turn off the fire caused by the explosions. If the unseen fire bug got fixed, that would be even better, but I figured it would be easier to externalise the power core variables than hunt down a bug (don't let me stop you if you want to, though!)

Yes, that's right. This is why I want to be able to turn off the fire caused by the explosions. If the unseen fire bug got fixed, that would be even better, but I figured it would be easier to externalise the power core variables than hunt down a bug (don't let me stop you if you want to, though!)

Well, you think too much like a modder :). It of course depends on the code, but if going to change the code because of such a problem, one might as well simply fix the problem rather than paper it over with an option to get around it.

Another feature thought:

Would it be possible to make damage ranges specific to weapon/ammo type rather than a general +/-X%?

In the best case scenario, this would allow for a range of mathematical operators, for example:

- (15-45) would specify a random number between 15 and 45

- (10-20)+(10-20) would randomise two rolls between 10 and 20 and add them together

- (5-15)*(3-5) would randomise one roll between 5 and 15 and multiply it by another random roll between 3 and 5

- (2-2)^(1-6) would multiply 2 to the power of a random number between 1 and 6.

Simply being able to set the range (i.e. in the first example) would be pretty good, though.

That would be a nice change.

I much prefer weapons to have as many individual properties as possible.

I like the old AD&D method of critical chance and critical damage being separate as well but not sure how well that fits into Xenonauts.

I love AD&D :)

Critical hit based on accuracy could be a good solution.

Could someone better than me please help me with mission_researches. I'm trying again to make a CE-compliant version of Lore+, but I have zero idea of what I'm supposed to put in the prequisties field in researches.

• If I put something in the prequisite field, it overrides mission_researches. So that's NFG.
  • If I make the field blank, the game crashes on startup. Xenonauts really doesn't like blank fields in researches.xml
  • If I delete the prequisite field, Xenonauts ignores the whole entry

So what do I do? I really want to make this work, but I don't have a scooby* what I have to put in the prequisite field to make mission_researches work.

*Rhyming slang. scooby doo - clue

The requisites field should not override anything. Here's what worked for me when testing:

In researches.xml, any requisites you want, these will not affect anything. And a 0 day research time. Then put that corresponding research into mission_researches with the correct UFO/mission, and it works.

I will almost certainly try this tomorrow unless you report this works :)

Alright, I'll try it again.

EDIT: 1 light scout mission later... and it hasn't worked.

Here's the code I'm using:

<Row ss:AutoFitHeight="0" ss:Height="51">   <Cell ss:StyleID="s72"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.ScoutingMission</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s72"><Data ss:Type="Number">0</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s73"><Data ss:Type="String">UFOs</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s74"><Data ss:Type="String">Items.AlienCorvetteDatacore</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s72"/>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s74"><Data ss:Type="String">UnlockKnowledge( "Researches.ScoutingMission" );</Data></Cell>   <Cell ss:StyleID="s76"><Data ss:Type="String">Researches.ScoutingMission</Data></Cell>  </Row>

And

<MissionResearch>	<MissionName>ScoutMission</MissionName>	<UfoType>airplane.alien.lightscout</UfoType>	<Research>Researches.ScoutingMission</Research></MissionResearch>

So, if I've got it right, on doing the light scout ufo I should have triggered the scouting research. But it hasn't. If I set the prereq to lightscoutdatacore that works. Have I put the entry in mission_researches incorrectly? If I haven't, then I don't know what's going on, other than something's up with the prereq.

EDIT 2: Aaaand.... I'm out of time. I have to talk to some artists and do some more playtesting of drone strike, so this will have to wait until tomorow.

Edited by Max_Caine

That is helpful, Max, I think I may recognize the problem now and know why I missed it in testing. It's probably a bug that mission_researches triggers the research, but still also checks the requisites from researches.xml, which is why it only works with the light scout datacore. I presume it will likewise work if you set the requirement to Alien Invasion research, for instance.

I'll need to fix it so that the mission_researches trigger override the requirements.

So an aircraft which is relatively low on fuel but has full amo can fly out straight away. That's actually one of the reasons refuelling takes place first - to prevent the same aircraft making all the sorties (as, say, a Maurauder can).

@Solver, okay dokey it's already done then. When I get home I'll make sure it's up-to-date then upload it as a test file.

Edited by Max_Caine

Its some small wrinkles with the modular system that have been the reason for me holding off, though. Eg. ufocontents and script overwrites (actually, that might be the only things). They're not barriers, but it's pointless me putting an update out if a new version of X:CE is soon to be released which fixes them.

<!-- Allowed values are "xce" for Community Edition and "gh107" for official release 1.07 and up. -->

<saveCompatibility value="xce" comment="The version of game for which to write save files." />

Ok, this does not work at all. I've changed the value from XCE to gh108 loaded XCE 0.26 save and saved on different name. Reinstalled Xenonauts and the save is not visible.