Xtended Background - Distribution Modmod

Ogaburan

This mod has been moved to the new completed section of the forum, and has been abandoned.

It can be deleted.

Link to new thread: http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/10970-v1-06-Xtended-Background-Distribution-Modmod-%28v0-3%29?p=121261#post121261

Xtended Background - Distribution Modmod

First i must thank Pinetree (& those who helped him) for his Original Mod.

I am one of those who believe his mod is essential for the game, and refuse to have a "serious" play-through without it.

In fact i got so impatient I started toying with the files myself. To the point i think i made a small modmod that I'll share, as I see there are others who are waiting for a compatible version of the mod.

This is what ive added:

- Made it compatible with new version (there were quite a few strings missing for some reason).

- "Cleaned up the files", by adding some annotations and moving nations around.

- Added a nation (Iran).

- Extended the Female soldiers backgrounds as well to nations added.

- Did some math and an excel file to graphically represent the distribution of soldiers and your % of getting a certain soldier (m/f, nationality ect).

This is how it looks:

Xenonations_math_zps045e76e5.png

For people who want to actually see:

The distribution of men and women per nation and the % to get them in game.

The distribution per continent and alignment.

(spreadsheet also is in the download)

Ofc any feedback on these distributions will be appreciated!

Download Link

Current version 0.3

Change-log 0.3:

- Expanded the Hungarian Names for both sexes.

Credits:

Pinetree for original mod

ResFu for helping out with the Polish names and units.

jamoecw for U.S. unit experience.

llunak for correcting Czech names and adding Slovak names.

steelgonads for correcting Portuguese names.

-For this modmod-

ocsisajt for Hungarian names

Edited by Ogaburan

You didn't need to dl that, it was just an add...

You had to click on the name of the file...

But I shared it via dropbox now... so it should be easier...

There is just one blue button to press, its the one in the middle... marked "download" :rolleyes:

I will ask again: Xtended Background mod and Jsleezy's Real Fighter Portrait Pack mod, are perfect feet for each other there is anyone that can merge soldernames files so we will have xtended backround plus much more faces for the solders and actualy game will be drawing them from all pool of faces not only 40.

hello guys!

As a hungarian fan of the old xcom and a new xeno fan may i spot some weird name? I would like to clarify some names at textfiles if you don't mind. Commented right after the name also with corrected accents :)

behold my wall of copypaste text :D

reason of editing:

corrections deleted

(spent priv. msg for creator)

Edited by ocsisajt

I will ask again: Xtended Background mod and Jsleezy's Real Fighter Portrait Pack mod, are perfect feet for each other there is anyone that can merge soldernames files so we will have xtended backround plus much more faces for the solders and actualy game will be drawing them from all pool of faces not only 40.

I actually am using both but just used the extended version along with the new faces and it seems to be working ok but it would be great if they worked together on this and merged them.

I actually am using both but just used the extended version along with the new faces and it seems to be working ok but it would be great if they worked together on this and merged them.

Ive actually copied the code Jsleezy added to make his mod work into Xtended Background's files. I can post it if anyone wants, though Ill need to update the Hungarian names section first.

It will not conflict, problem is that one of them would not work as it should cause they both use soldernames XML file. If u apply xtended over Jsleezys u will remain only with changed pictures but still u will be getting same 40 faces all over again. If u do opposite u will only have Jsleezys mod.

So we waiting for applying his code to this mod the only thing that concerns me is the% of females draw from the pool. This mod has it at 35 procent and Jsleezys at 20 which I prefer more so not sure can u change it to be around 20.

Edited by Alewalek

35% is vanilla, and i dont want to mess with another .xml file... as you can see that just messing with these 3 causes problems of compatibility and merging with other mods.

You can easily adjust the % of females in gamesconfig.xml, its in line 65 and quite obvious.

About Jsleezys mod compatibility.

I stopped using Jsleezys mod (not that its bad) so i wont be digging into it anytime soon to make a compatible version.

I dont really know how its not compatible... as im only changing the names and the % of soldiers popping out form a given nation. While Jsleezys only seems to affect what pictures shows up.

But since you tried it and they are not compatible, I dont think i'll even know how to "fix" it.

35% is vanilla, and i dont want to mess with another .xml file... as you can see that just messing with these 3 causes problems of compatibility and merging with other mods.

You can easily adjust the % of females in gamesconfig.xml, its in line 65 and quite obvious.

About Jsleezys mod compatibility.

I stopped using Jsleezys mod (not that its bad) so i wont be digging into it anytime soon to make a compatible version.

I dont really know how its not compatible... as im only changing the names and the % of soldiers popping out form a given nation. While Jsleezys only seems to affect what pictures shows up.

But since you tried it and they are not compatible, I dont think i'll even know how to "fix" it.

Id post my combined files, but I gotta run to class soon so Ill tell you I did.

Jsleezy added a new ethnicity/portrait type called 'cust' and added it to both the top of the file and under individual nations in soldiernames.xml. And for a few nations he also changed the previous probabilities instead of just adding his to the end.

I have run all these files through a program to compare them for differences. There are very few. What causes it to pick the faces. I've looked and looked through the code and don't really see why it wouldn't work when merged. Someone posted that it still only uses a few of the faces but where is that controlled?