Xenonauts V1.06 Released!

Xenonauts V1.06 has been released on the Experimental Branch. It fixes a number of small issues:

CHANGELOG:

• Final mission no longer incorrectly has the "take and hold" victory condition set, which allowed you to win by holding the side rooms instead of killing the final boss.
  • When aliens open UFO doors during their turn, line of sight should correctly update.
  • The stat tracking module is now genuinely actually definitely 100% disabled.
  • Units can no longer move through doors without opening them on night missions by facing away from them.
  • Base defence turrets have been upgraded to be worthwhile - even one can now shoot down a UFO. Xenopedia entry for them has been updated accordingly.
  • Heavy Drone autopsy / disassembly research now unlocks correctly.

This may break mods. If you're using mods that affect either researches.xml, xenopedia.xml or buildings.xml then you will need to reapply them (and the mod owners will need to update them too).

Just out of curiosity, since I haven't been keeping up with news until recently, how far we are into polishing after release bugs?

Also, speaking of mods, is there going to be steam workshop stuff in future? Just checking, glad to see the game being finished finally(and that there are few awesome mod projects on the modding section)

CHANGELOG:The stat tracking module is now genuinely actually definitely 100% disabled./QUOTE]

Having not been lurking the forums much, I don't know anything about this. What was the stat tracking module for and problems was it causing?

I haven't known of this either, but it ruffled some feathers over on the GOG forums, so they may have just removed the functionality. I tend to want to opt out of tracking if I can, but a vocal minority of GOG members are basically the video games equivalent of doomsday preppers and tend not to react very well to stuff like that.

The stat tracker had been introduced midway through the alpha to, as bills6693 said, collect data about play and crashes. There used to be a tickbox on the launcher so you could opt out of using the tracker, because it slowed the game down. Of course, when the tickbox went we all thought it had gone, and it looks like the devs thought that too.

I haven't known of this either, but it ruffled some feathers over on the GOG forums, so they may have just removed the functionality. I tend to want to opt out of tracking if I can, but a vocal minority of GOG members are basically the video games equivalent of doomsday preppers and tend not to react very well to stuff like that.

I don't want to be "tracked", period, unless I purposefully opt in to being tracked (which I'll never do).

I believe (from earlier patchnotes, like 1.01 or 1.02) that the module had been tracking play and bugs/crashes etc during the beta and they didn't even realise it was still in there.

So that would be the "conn.txt" file? I wondered why that was counting how many times I had played that version of the game, and why it wasn't in my original files. I wasn't even playing with the Steam install because of all the updates. I noticed after I made a play-through copy install on my secondary drive that the file structure of my secondary install had an extra file called "conn.txt" that only appeared after I had played the game, and that it was counting how many times I had played. This is in my current 1.04 HF install I'm still playing on.

I didn't get the chance to play much the last day or two though and I'm really wanting to start a new game of the latest version. From just casually browsing the forums though it seemed like 1.05 and after broke a lot of stuff or added a bunch of late game bugs (still haven't made it that far yet) and my 1.04 HF install seems to be bug free. I haven't ran into invincible aliens or corrupted saves or anything (yet).

[*]Base defence turrets have been upgraded to be worthwhile - even one can now shoot down a UFO. Xenopedia entry for them has been updated accordingly.

If even one can now down an attacking UFO, doesn't that mean that base defence missions will now be practically non-existent? Turrets cost almost nothing to build and maintain.

If even one can now down an attacking UFO, doesn't that mean that base defence missions will now be practically non-existent? Turrets cost almost nothing to build and maintain.

This just means that 1 turret now has a chance to shoot down a UFO. Previously a single turret could never shoot anything down, and even with 3 the chances were slim.

able to open their ship's door and climb up/down stairs.

I think they can do both. Since all aliens start out on ground floor, it would be impossible for alien to end up in upper floor without using stairs... and in one mission alien above walked down to lower floor and shot Xenonaut I was preparing in order to breach. I guess some aliens indeed open UFO doors without walking out, and that no LOS update resulted in it being perceived as a bug.

However, there is some tweaks I would like to see implemented.

* Aliens should shoot at unconscious Xenonauts.

* Aliens should always open doors before moving through them since there is no disadvantage in doing so (would avoid reaction fire and nullify "body-blocking" tactic).

* Aliens on base defense mission should not shoot at the props since penalty for facility over-damage is not implemented. It really diminishes their threat potential.

Hello,

/How/ could I update to 1.06 from 1.05 hf? I bought my game at GOG.

Ps.: guys, God/aliens bless you for this masterwork, it is superb.

Hi Zoltan,

At the moment 1.06 is experimental only; experimental releases are only on Steam (and only for those who opt into them), because it's easier to to rapid release/rollback on Steam and Steam has the option of having multiple download streams (so those who want to play with the experimental stuff can, while not potentially breaking the game for those who just want to play).

Once the experimental code has proven itself as stable it will get pushed out to GoG/Desura/any other distribution services.

Something that's bothering me... I wish that UFOs on terror / base assault missions were more aggresive. These patch notes made me realize I haven't seen a single heavy drone yet (and I'm about to research Operation Endgame so I'm nearing the end), probably because they're terror units and I generally shoot down all of the UFOs before they have a chance to do anything. It just seems like they spend too long bumbling around doing nothing in particular, and never get a chance to actually terrorize anything.

Is this something I can mod?

Base defence turrets have been upgraded to be worthwhile - even one can now shoot down a UFO. Xenopedia entry for them has been updated accordingly.

Base attacks have been really rare to begin with... with this change, will I see one ever again? The number and frequency of base attack missions should probably be upped. Also, I wish terror mission and base builder ufos would be a bit more active to see these missions more frequently too.

I feel funding might be a bit too tight at the moment too - at least on the more easy difficulty settings.

Edited by Skitso

I think Base Attack missions dither about too much. Especially once you have a Quantom Cryptology Center they should come in and just attack you, instead of wandering about three continents like the Navigator was holding the map upside down. Its not like its particularly hard to find a xenonauts base, even if for some strange reason they can't backtrack the radar all they have to do is watch one of your interceptors until it lands and then write down where the base is for future attacks.