Purchasing options and parity

I heard about this game through Steam, saw that it was an early access game there and figured it was Steam-exclusive. Was excited anyway, bought it.

Only to discover afterward that the same price would've bought me Humble/Desura + Steam, or a GoG.com copy of awesomeness. Unless Steam Cloud is ever planned for this game, I can't imagine a reason I would want to run it on Steam.

Is there a way to get the Humble/Desura and/or GoG.com copies at a reduced price if you have a verifiable Steam purchase? I'd understand if there was a small fee, but surely it could be done somehow? Or do those lucky sods who buy there get Steam access for free, and I have to pay 20 for a DRM-free copy?

I heard about this game through Steam, saw that it was an early access game there and figured it was Steam-exclusive. Was excited anyway, bought it.

Only to discover afterward that the same price would've bought me Humble/Desura + Steam, or a GoG.com copy of awesomeness. Unless Steam Cloud is ever planned for this game, I can't imagine a reason I would want to run it on Steam. I don't know if a discount is available, but I doubt it.

Is there a way to get the Humble/Desura and/or GoG.com copies at a reduced price if you have a verifiable Steam purchase? I'd understand if there was a small fee, but surely it could be done somehow? Or do those lucky sods who buy there get Steam access for free, and I have to pay 20 for a DRM-free copy?

Early access and experimental builds were only available on Steam, so if you weren't interested in either of those you're right, no reason to buy on Steam. You screwed up, LOL. :D Sorry. I doubt a discount is available for that situation.

I personally only buy game on Steam when I have no choice, like Skyrim. It pained me to have to even allow Steam on my PC. I resisted for a long time. I still wouldn't use, but I had to have Skyrim. I generally think DRM and Steam are tools of an evil empire.

Edited by StellarRat

I'm hoping that's not the company's official response, and that they can make a business decision to make all purchasing routes fairly equal.
No, that's just what I'm thinking. I'm not a company official in any way. Maybe the can do something for you. I just have little faith the bureaucracy of Steam and online game purchasing services in general, too many horror stories. I actually am a backer and should be receiving the game on disk eventually. Edited by StellarRat

I installed and bought from Desura waaaaaaay back before there even was a Steam version. Pretty much the first time I heard about Xenonauts I bought it that day and Desura was the only option (don't think it was on GoG back then either). Since then the price has dropped so technically I donated $5 to the team, and honestly I consider that a $5 well spent. As soon as I could though I got the Steam key simply to keep up with the patches that way. I never liked Desura (and I don't like Steam much either) and found it to be a really horrible service. Unfortunately half the other games I like all come with mandatory Steam installation these days and I've bought games on Steam more than a bit. I always get a boxed copy when I can though, even if that means I miss out on "digital exclusives" by not pre-ordering on Steam in advanced. Like right now for instance I already have Batman: Arkham Knight half paid for down at Gamestop. Even though I could pre-order through Steam and I know when the game finally comes out it'll be in my "Steam Games" anyway, I still want the physical disc.

Once you have the final version it sounds like there will not be any more updates unless there is a serious game breaking bug found.

That means once you have downloaded it from steam you could just burn your Xenonauts folder to a dvd then uninstall steam and never need to bother with it again.

Remember that the game runs from its own executable so you don't need to run steam at all in order to run the game.

Just navigate to the Xenonauts folder and make yourself a shortcut to Xenonauts.exe.

It is exactly the same version you would be getting through any of the other methods, the only difference is how it is delivered to you.

Download from GoG, ignore GoG from then on.

*edit* Chris has mentioned that they are looking in to using some of the other features of steam, like possibly using the workshop for mods.