Out on GOG!

Yeah, that's really bad. Not sure how much criticism it would draw but it might be wise to delay the "release" until after the sale.

too late now I think.... :S. At least it is on "sale" ... discount off the new release price that is... That always helps

Thirded. Feel like a fool for buying it straight on Steam yesterday - could have bought Humble and had DRM-free + Steam for same price?

You can start Xenonauts without starting Steam. Just go into the appropiate folder, usually:

C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Xenonauts\Xenonauts.exe and start it directly.

Tadaaa...

You can start Xenonauts without starting Steam. Just go into the appropiate folder, usually:

C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Xenonauts\Xenonauts.exe and start it directly.

Tadaaa...

To clarify for the initial response on steam drm.

Xenonauts is on steam but it doesn't need steam. The game is drm free if you launch the executable direct. Steam does not need to be logged in.

The sales are not that bad for an indie games as it seems. I hate to say that but without some hype behind it or some the word of some influential persons will any indie game only sell a mediocre amount of copies.

If the launch can be considered a success can only be said from the devs, they have to know what expetation they had. But having all that said, a game isn't lost when the launch is not all that great. We live a team were games are not sold from shelves anymore. Many modern classics didn't sold much in the beginning and were discovered later.

Like Steam users, GOG users might visit their forums before buying. At the moment, there isn't a single positive thing to be read on the GOG forum about this game. It's not necessarily negative, but there are some open questions, and some issues related to the unfinished nature of the game, that are keeping the game from giving its best impression.

http://www.gog.com/forum/xenonauts#1403033757

Possibly someone more knowledgable about the game than I can answer some of these folks, such as why the game launcher is so clunky. Some GOG users are a little weird about their games, with one dude comparing it to a virus: http://www.gog.com/forum/xenonauts/several_problems_may_need_a_patch For my part, the Humble Bundle version is not up to date with the Steam version, is missing a game manual, and the launcher can take upwards of a minute to complete launching. I suspect the GOG version is having the same issues.

The reviews on the game page are good: http://www.gog.com/game/xenonauts

The best I've seen it on Steam was 19th best seller. If TB gives it another run through it could do better.

Sure, those are mostly good. Not contesting that. However, a lot of folks do their homework by skipping the reviews (which are often ridiculously generous for even mediocre games) and sampling the forum. Right now, the forum's only threads are either complaints or unanswered questions. I'm still in the basics of the game, and am not equipped to run interference for GoldHawk, so perhaps a fan with a few minutes on their hands can help out. If not, I'm sure the game will survive, but the opportunity is there.