• evden eve
  • bosch servisi
  • free hosting coupons
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 35

    Thread: Variety in "human" weapon types or "we don't all use the M16"

    Hybrid View

    1. #1
      Maniac real life knight
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      Germany
      Posts
      1

      Variety in "human" weapon types or "we don't all use the M16"

      Hello!

      Nice to meet you, I'm a new user.

      And I wanted to bring in a suggestion right from the start.
      Instead of making it long, I'm going to make it rather quick:


      Variety in "human" weapons.


      There are SO many modern weapons out there in the world.
      And there are so many weapons that most people prefer over the M16, for example.

      Yet, in the game, so far we only have the M16.
      Now I suggest, for more variety, to add at least some more basic weapons to the game in later builds.

      Like the G3, the old German Battle Rifle.
      Or the FAMAS, the AK-47, and and some other popular weapons.

      Not to forget shotguns and pistols.
      I'm not demanding a huge load of weapons to be made that will become obsolete later in the game anyway.

      But at least some variety would be nice, at least 3 different weapons, please?

      I would really appreciate and love that.


      If you don't consider it worth the effort, then so be it. I can live with that. But at least think about it.

      Thanks,
      Elric

    2. #2
      Chris has mentioned possibly implementing Soviet weapons as a Kickstarter incentive, if they ever do one, and that got a lot of community support.

      However, you've got to keep in mind that this is an indie project with finite resources. As nice as additional weapon variety would be, it's simply not practical for the devs to add what are essentially reskins of existing weaponry over adding requisite higher-tier weaponry.

      I do agree that it'd be nice, though, which is why I hope the Kickstarter plan goes well; I'd love to see that Soviet weapons pack come to fruition.

    3. #3
      WishfullThinker Gorlom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Location
      Sweden
      Posts
      4,074
      Are you simply looking for reskins or do you want functional variaty as well? Would it bring anything to the game? Or are you simply wondering why your soldiers arent using that "skin" instead?

      The additional weapons are easy to add to the game but very timeconsumeing because of the way the character model sprites work.
      If it isnt included in the release it will most certainly be modded in later if someone really wants it.
      Last edited by Gorlom; 02-15-2012 at 18:16.

    4. #4
      Beloved Leader Chris's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      London, UK
      Posts
      6,099
      Yeah, the reason there's only one type of assault rifle is that I don't think there'd be enough in-game difference between an M16 and an AK-47 to warrant including both. Their stats would be too similar to be worth the added micromanagement, in my view. So for the sake of accessability, I won't include any additional weapons in vanilla Xenonauts.

      EDIT - Also, you're aware there is already a pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, sniper rifle, machinegun and rocket launcher in the game already? Just to check - your post kinda implies you only think the M16 is available to soldiers.

      However, I know lots of people are interested in this sorta thing and we've made it EXTREMELY easy to mod in new weapons to Xenonauts. To the point we're deliberately trying to have a few spare weapon tiles for people who want to add more weapons. Like, for instance...



      (That's basically an example piece we've done for a Kickstarter video, specifically for the Soviet Weapon pack)
      Chris England - Xenonauts Project Lead
      chris@xenonauts.com
      @GoldhawkInt

    5. #5
      Rookie
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      Russia, Perm
      Posts
      13
      I love you guys - you make my dream come true! Good old X-Com with weapons NATO-USSR! Thank you very much!!!

      Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
      Yeah, the reason there's only one type of assault rifle is that I don't think there'd be enough in-game difference between an M16 and an AK-47 to warrant including both.
      However, we are currently two types of interceptor - the American F-17 and Soviet F-32

      Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
      Their stats would be too similar to be worth the added micromanagement, in my view. So for the sake of accessability, I won't include any additional weapons in vanilla Xenonauts.
      Yes, but some things can be different. For example, the AK may be less accurate, but to be able Auto shot twice (use less TU) from the turn and have more power shots (if hit the target).

      By the way, we're evenings still playing the old (first), "Ghost Recon", the game has a M-16 and AK-47. From M-16 can shoot in short bursts - 3 rounds. Though a trifle, but good variety to the gameplay.

      Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
      (That's basically an example piece we've done for a Kickstarter video, specifically for the Soviet Weapon pack)
      So Soviet Weapon Pack there? If so, why not just add it to the game?
      Last edited by S.Alex; 02-16-2012 at 04:58.

    6. #6
      WishfullThinker Gorlom's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2011
      Location
      Sweden
      Posts
      4,074
      Quote Originally Posted by S.Alex View Post
      However, we are currently two types of interceptor - the American F-17 and Soviet F-32
      I don't see your point? They are significantly different. the modified American fighter has improved armor, mobility and cannons for close range dog fighting. The MiG has less armor no cannons and stronger missiles to be able to shoot down the big UFO's the F-17 cant shoot down.
      The 2 aircrafts fill 2 different roles unlike 2 assult rifles. The way the game is currently designed wouldnt let 2 assult rifles be different enough to fill 2 roles without infringing on the other weapons present in the game.

    7. #7
      Rookie
      Join Date
      Feb 2012
      Location
      Russia, Perm
      Posts
      13
      Quote Originally Posted by Gorlom View Post
      The 2 aircrafts fill 2 different roles unlike 2 assult rifles. The way the game is currently designed wouldnt let 2 assult rifles be different enough to fill 2 roles without infringing on the other weapons present in the game.
      Ok, I understand how the dev's implemented a weapons system, and why do not a greater variety of small guns. I agree, we should let them finish the game. More variety can realy add modmakers

    8. #8
      Quote Originally Posted by S.Alex View Post
      Yes, but some things can be different. For example, the AK may be less accurate, but to be able Auto shot twice (use less TU) from the turn and have more power shots (if hit the target).
      Oh, I agree that it'd definitely be possible to distinguish the AK and the M-16, but I think Chris is right to say that there isn't enough practical difference between the two for an indie dev with an extremely limited budget to justify adding in the AK, as opposed to, say, the difference between a shotgun and an assault rifle.

    9. #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
      Yeah, the reason there's only one type of assault rifle is that I don't think there'd be enough in-game difference between an M16 and an AK-47 to warrant including both. Their stats would be too similar to be worth the added micromanagement, in my view. So for the sake of accessability, I won't include any additional weapons in vanilla Xenonauts.

      EDIT - Also, you're aware there is already a pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, sniper rifle, machinegun and rocket launcher in the game already? Just to check - your post kinda implies you only think the M16 is available to soldiers.

      However, I know lots of people are interested in this sorta thing and we've made it EXTREMELY easy to mod in new weapons to Xenonauts. To the point we're deliberately trying to have a few spare weapon tiles for people who want to add more weapons. Like, for instance...



      (That's basically an example piece we've done for a Kickstarter video, specifically for the Soviet Weapon pack)
      Might I suggest a detailed Soviet weapons pack DLC? Typically, I am a firm believer against DLC however your a fledgling developer without millions of dollars and baby souls at your disposal. After Xenonauts is complete setup a very detailed DLC with 3-4 additional weapons per class for like 6 dollars. don't do that lame EA bullshit where you sell three reskins for 10 bucks. After this game makes the true light of day people are going to want more and rather than a sequel why not do tremendous updates with dlc and or a huge expansion pack? Also I want the option to turn on psycic powers for humans. It was something I always thought was cool from the first game and would appreiciate at least an option. Oh one more thing are the melee attack with rifles a bayonet attack? Looking forward to the release (and more weapons!)

    10. #10
      I could start in on the various differences between the AK and the M-16, but I'll spare everyone the boring technical garbage and just say this.

      In the 70s the M-16 was more likely to kill the user than the target. Very low tolerance for even casual dirtiness. forty years later it still isn't great in that regard.

      I will go so far as to say the AK-47 packs considerably more punch, but supposedly loses accuracy over range. Haven't seen that personally, but I don't try to play sniper of God with mine. Within the ranges the game is played at, I doubt there would be a noticeable accuracy difference.
      Last edited by Montie; 02-16-2012 at 00:59.

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •