Khall's Tundra Tileset

Khall

I was thinking about doing that, still working through the village props, have done the industrial props that can be reused and made some tall fences for LOS breakers. Just need to get round to doing rural roads (which I am not looking forward to) and some vehicles to have a decent set of tiles for villages. Once I've done that, I'll see about railways. Been busy lately, so progress is a bit slow at the moment, but it'll pickup soon.

I am not playing at the moment, so I haven't seen this in the game (yet).

But looking at the pictures, I think the ground is too evenly coloured. And it looks like greenish snow. I like all the rest.

I don't know how to mod and definitley can't tell you how to do it, but would it be possible to randomly change the snow tiles with a mask of brown, green, rock-grey colour filter. So the ground tiles will be colour-changed before trees and other stuff is "plugged on".

If not random have a couple of predefined colour masks for each map size and this will be rotated for each load. So you easily have four different masks with each mask.

If this is all stupid or not possible, nevermind. :P

Theoretically it would be possible to create semi-transparent random ground submaps that you could overlay on existing submaps for a brown/green mask. But It would take a lot of work to get right and look natural. I might look into it after I'm done.

The other thing that might be of interest is this, by Skitso:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/9098-Skitso-s-Color-Grading

Maybe that would work well if added to this tileset, I don't know

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4231[/ATTACH]

Problem?

There would also be the problem of the bear counting as a civilian in mission summary. :P

Pvt. Jenkins: Sir, all civilinas are dead, I repeat, all civlians are dead.

Cpl. Eales: Jenkins, are you blind, there is one still alive behind those trees.

Pvt. Jenkins: But, sir, that is a bear!

Cpl. Eales Cover the bear with your own body Jenkins. We cannot afford any more civilian casuelties.

Pvt. Jenkins: ?!

Cpl. Eales: Now look Jenkins, you're a good lad but Brezhnev is threatning that the Soviets will leave the alliance if we let anymore civilians die. They are already on the verge, Jenkins. Last week a light Ufo scout terrorised Kamchatka cos we didn't think that it was strategically important and none of our interceptors can fly to that God forsaken place.

Pvt. Jenkins: But why do they care about a bear?

Cpl. Eales: It's about national symbols, Jenkins. The aliens are targeting national symbols... Most of Mother Russia's distilleries have already been destroyed. Without vodka, bears are Russias only reliable manpower...If we let bears die too... the soviet block will surely fall.

gTBIaTb.jpg

gTBIaTb.jpg

gTBIaTb.jpg.570e1542c01e7569defbcd545fc7

• 3 months later...

Been busy lately so this was on hold for a while, and I was finishing off my portrait mod. But finally got round to finishing the recoloured industrial props and started on the roads and vehicles.

tundra12.jpg

tundra13.JPG

I might create some dirt or small farm ground tiles (like the middle east tile set) for inside village areas. I'll play around and see what I come up with.

I might even get this completed one day :)

tundra12.jpg

tundra13.JPG

tundra12.thumb.jpg.52348574933a6bcc0d89c

tundra13.JPG.22ecb2db1c2ec4f6671ea69d1b0

Nearly finished all the village props, and got some nice dirt/rock ground tiles for villages (2 NE and NW rectangular overlays with transparent borders, so you can overlap them to create more complex shapes):

tundra15.jpg

So after I finished these, I'll start on the military and railway stuff. Then I'll actually have to create good, coherent maps for it all

tundra15.jpg

tundra15.jpg.f31e58e0d0c60d8850aeccb0c76

Edited by Khall

Very nice! I really like the primitive look of the fencing and particularly the woodshed. Maybe the community is finally going to have another mapper? :cool:

My two cents is that when I look at that environment I think: cold. The residents would have some kind of heat source. But no chimneys or fuel tanks visible. Possibly a large outdoor fire pit with a crackling bonfire (existing asset) going in it too?

• 4 weeks later...

Added some more industrial and vehicle props and adjusted the brightness/contrast of the industrial props slightly to fit in better with the surroundings.

tundra16.jpg

tundra17.jpg

Can't think of any more props to tundra-fy for villages, so I'll start making some rural village and plain wilderness maps, then start working on railway/military props.

tundra16.jpg

tundra17.jpg

tundra16.jpg.b621689e3730f4036aadb6f7b67

tundra17.jpg.88cdffca7f62988574d21ee9d44

I've completed a wilderness map for each ship types, and 2 rural villages maps for light scouts and scouts/corvettes. Vegetation areas are semi-randomly generated, and all the buildings have at least 2 sub-maps, so there's quite a bit of variety in each map. Not entirely sure if the cover density in woodland is ok, might be a bit too much, but it starts to look a bit bare if I remove some.

I haven't actually tested the new maps myself ingame (need to re-verify the game, kind of went overboard on modding and broke it), but they look decent enough on the level viewer

Some feedback on the tiles or how the maps play out would be appreciated.

tundra19.jpg

tundra18.jpg

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=56

tundra19.jpg

tundra18.jpg

tundra19.jpg.3e2d8df0c17d9def5a4768b66ed

tundra18.jpg.989bd76d4bf67acd5c3620bdba8

Edited by Khall

Its fine, I don't mind questions.

I haven't converted it to the new mod-merge system, so you'll have to do it the old way.

Extract the download and copy the downloaded assets folder over your assets folder to merge them, saying yes if it asks to overwrite.

It will say when you click on a crash site if it is tundra, like with the other tilesets

Here's the tileset masks to determine what zones tilesets will occur, tundra is the light green (the game will randomly decide between the 2 masks, which one to choose). This was just a quick mockup at the time, so I didn't do any research into which regions should be tundra:

tilesetmask1.png

tilesetmask2.png

tilesetmask1.png

tilesetmask2.png

tilesetmask1.png.72fef1e1d0c96bedeaa5b3e

tilesetmask2.png.0371472ce9199156637c6e2

Edited by Khall

Just a quick update, updated the single tree spectres so they are consistent with the rest of the game (previously they blocked LOS and had a 100% blocking chance, now they don't block LOS and have 75% block chance) and altered the maps slightly.

Edited by Khall

Converting this mod to the modular system should be really easy as it's almost entirely made out of new assets. And if you want some help with this, I'd be more than happy to sort it out for you.

Thanks, that would be really helpful :)

As far as I can see the only file that would need converting is the "missiontypeprops_gc.xml" to add the tundra civilians and soldiers, still don't really know how modmerge attributes work, so I would need some help there. Everything else is new assets so I should be able to just zip them up, and they should work I think.

I'll just finish up maps for medium and large UFO's and fix up a few spectres first.