[suggestion] Inventory size change

Arturius

After playing a bit I have noticed that the inventory proportions are just not right.

Yes, I know they are similar to original games but maybe we can make it even better?

What I mean is that rifle takes 10 "blocks" (let's call single inventory cell a block), launcher also takes 10 blocks, while pistol takes 6 and grenade just 1.

In my opinion it would be good to change that into something more balanced - either increase block size of big weapons (like rocket launcher) or make pistols "smaller". The idea is to make bigger "leap" from big weapons to small arms.

Right now, when I have a soldier equipped with a rocker launcher, I can barely fit secondary weapon there (and don't forget we also need ammo/medkit/grenades on almost every soldier).

And in my opinion every soldier should have a pistol with him just in case he runs into some nasty aliens and his main weapon malfunctions somehow (insert mood here!).

Another idea is to diverse inventory size by the armour worn. Basic armor should have just some elementary carrying space + small belt for ammo. Lvl 2 armor should have slightly larger backpack + bigger belt. Lvl 3 armor should add pistol hip holder + maybe some grenade/flare spots (like in X-Com Apocalypse).

It could look like that

02.jpg

PS. Yes Chris, I am a fan of JA2 1.13 mod :)

Please share your suggestions and/or similar ideas!

02.jpg

02.jpg.07c780796da510d977107585fb2e4690.

The idea is to make bigger "leap" from big weapons to small arms.

May I ask why? (Doesn't the weight stat cover that already?)

Right now, when I have a soldier equipped with a rocker launcher, I can barely fit secondary weapon there (and don't forget we also need ammo/medkit/grenades on almost every soldier).

And in my opinion every soldier should have a pistol with him just in case he runs into some nasty aliens and his main weapon malfunctions somehow (insert mood here!).

When you say your guy carrying a rocketlauncher can barely carry a secondary weapon.. are you talking about the pistol or a rifle/shotgun? And how would makeing the rocketlauncher take up more cells solve your problem?

It could look like that [picture]
I don't understand, you got 6 cells in the belt for the pistol. Why do you need another pistol holster?

Edit: Does any uniform acctually let you wear grenades on your shoulders? That just looks stupid to me.

I'm not sure what the point of changeing the inventorys design really is... You don't really seem to have any clear idea of how you want to change the gameplay. Just that you want to change it and don't really consider the balance afterwards.

To me this seems like a suggestion for the sake of haveing a suggestion. If not I apologize and ould ask you to be a bit clearer in explaining why you think the inventory needs to be rebalanced.

Edited by Gorlom

Will do my best to explain myself as it was not my intention to post an idea just for the sake of posting. :)

The whole inventory resize idea comes from the fact that I believe later in the game we will have more and more items.

And those will be items that are useful, and we will want to have them on missions.

Right now, when we start, we are good with one weapon, some ammo for that weapon and maybe grenades.

When you put that all together there is little space left (in my opinion). And I pressume at some point one will want to pick something up on missions (remember that brainsucker pods from X-Com Apocalypse?).

Now, I do not know your preffered playstyle, but I always try to have everything needed on every soldier - so if we take a rocketman for example he has: 1x rocket launcher 3x rocket 1x pistol 1x pistol ammo 1x medkit +some grenades.

That is of course the ideal situation, weight of items put aside.

Getting back to my suggestion: with that loadout there is hardly any space left, and because of that I proposed to change the items proportions. If one rifle takes 10 "blocks" then let's make pistol take only 2 "blocks, and not 6. It would be more realistic, and you could organise your inventory better.

Please note that I am leaving aside weight problem, concentrating on size only.

Maybe I am just thinking way ahead, but if I can outfit my soldier so that his backpack is full on first mission how we can organise/manage inventory in the late game?

That's also why I proposed increased capacity with each armor level. It would be fun to develop new armor, knowing that it could also contribute towards your deployment tactics (soldiers loadout).

I do not want to change gameplay, it's just a bit more micromanaging I find interesting and if you feel otherwise it's perfectly fine. :)

Please let me know if my suggestion is still a bit unclear, I will do my best!

Hello,

arturis, you are the "take everything" kind of guy. some player build up a team with minimal carry. I am kind of in between, ignoring extras (and if all of sudden,) my team goes s*&^ need the rocketlauncher... they will more likely find another way without a rl.

This suprise element makes game more enjoyable.

R

So it's just a wish to have every soldier be rambo? How is bigger inventory more micromanageing? Haveing to fit what you want in the inventory space without going over the weight limit is micromanageing. Treating your soldiers like mules carry everything isn't really mangeing imo. Your suggestion isn't adding to the game it's removeing.

Also probbably should wait and see if there will be all these extra items you assume will be added before you balance the inventory size around it.:)

Also i do not agree with the idea of adding more spaces for the inventory, I think as it is it does provide enough space i mean on a tactical mission you have your belt and side arm, lbv (load bearing vest) some units have different names, and you have a basic backpack. if you need more than that well that is just a little too much to ask.

However i do like the idea of the multiple loadout based on armor, but that is as far as the similarity goes, from my perspective as your armor improves your space should actually decrease, if you have a power armor then that power supply unit alone will steal all the "backpack space" It is also leaning towards a pseudo-real representation, obvious lower level armor provides less protection but more flexibility and allowing you to take your pack off your back while "full armor" suits you can't just take your pack off and check what is inside :)

I know people will not like the idea but after all as your tech gets better you may actually required less equipment to perform the same functions, albeit some armor may have embedded areas that allow for items to be carried "ala robocop and his side arm" :D

another set of my $0.02

I'm in favor of the idea that inventory loadouts be based upon armor type. The heavy power armors could feasibly be expected to provide the ability to carry a heavier and larger weapons loadout than the scout types. The might be bulkier but powered suits should also increase strength. It would provide additional differentiation between soldier roles in the battlefield.

There has been at least one lenghty discussion about how armour could / should be balanced and inventory size was definitely mentioned.

So far, the engine at least got the ability to assign different "vision" stats so a light scout suit can well... scout better.

It would be very nice if the inventory size could be restricted as well.

Just like you said, a "walking tank" suit may well buff the soldier's strength high enough to carry that M2 Browning as a weapon but it would have a smaller - or no - backpack as a balancing factor.

The suit might simply not be nimble enough to reach around and access the backpack while belt slots would be within easy reach.

Inventory size adds a great deal of versatility which, all by itself, should be a factor in game balancing.

Apocalypse had a great system for that because each vehicle could have multiple equipment / weapon locations, each defined by a position on the screen and it's X/Y dimension.

The size of these slots limited what weapons you could put into them.

• 10 months later...

Is there a reason why you can't have a rifle in one hand and a rocket launcher in the other? Sure it's unpractical and you'll be inaccurate, but you could do it in the OG. And once your rookie becomes a high rank superhuman soldier, strength won't be a factor. And holding two weapons would allow your trooper to hold high inventory capacity items (rocket launcher/rifle) in order to have room for low capacity items (grenades/ammo, etc.).

Or here's another idea. Chinook storage. Have some things be inside the chinook.

Edited by Tacobandit

There are other changes for some armour suits if I remember rightly.

I vaguely recall Chris mentioned that some weapons will be restricted from some armour suits.

For example light scouting armour suits, like the jump capable suits, would not be able to handle heavy weapons while heavy assault type suits would.

I could be completely wrong though, haven't found the thread I read it in...

that would be good. I'm all for differentiating the soldiers. It would be a pain to have a scout, with air capability and heavy weapons.

hmm, I'd have thought perhaps any flying capability would peg back the APs a bit. Just a thought. S, you get the bonus of elevation and firing form that, but you won't be able to race across the battlescape as quickly as a lightly armed ground scout?

Yes, common sense. =)

Have you fired an assault rifle or machine gun? I did.

You wouldn't want to do that one-handed.

Implying X-COM was ever about realism. Unless this game is about a realistic X-COM. I thought that realism was just to apply to all the technology of the time. If realism is to be a part of the actual fighting... well...

And yes, I made the mistake of firing an enfield one handed. I will not be trying that again.

that would be good. I'm all for differentiating the soldiers. It would be a pain to have a scout, with air capability and heavy weapons.

hmm, I'd have thought perhaps any flying capability would peg back the APs a bit. Just a thought. S, you get the bonus of elevation and firing form that, but you won't be able to race across the battlescape as quickly as a lightly armed ground scout?

The bobbing of the flying suit would seriously hinder accuracy. Unless you crouched in mid-air, that might fix it.

Of course flying and shooting and crouching in mid-air is far from realistic.

From what I have gleaned from the forum, the flying suits are not "true" flying suits. They are more like "assisted jump" suits, where a squaddie must start and finish their movement with their feet on the ground. Shooting mid-air isn't going to be a problem, as there isn't going to be any. I do remember a comment from Chris that power armour was going to have "designated weapons".

From what I have gleaned from the forum, the flying suits are not "true" flying suits. They are more like "assisted jump" suits, where a squaddie must start and finish their movement with their feet on the ground. Shooting mid-air isn't going to be a problem, as there isn't going to be any. I do remember a comment from Chris that power armour was going to have "designated weapons".

So what's the point of jumping? Getting onto a roof? Wouldn't it be cheaper and more realistic to use a grappling hook?

Leaping tall buildings in a single bound, covering ground faster, jumping from roof to roof and so on.

tech: Ta-Da! Jump Suits!

Xenonauts: Wow! Awesome!

Cpl: Hicks: It has been the dream of man to fly...

tech: actually, you can't.

Cpl Hocks: Aw. Well, levitating while picking off aliens will be great.

tech: ah, nope. It won't do that either.

Cdr Gauddlike: Hey, why is there a bath towel sticking out the back of mine, and what's this lipstick "S" for?

Cpl Max_Caine: What the $%! why does my helmet have wings. What the h3ll am I supposed to do with a hammer? Fix their ship?!

Sgt thothkins: Could be worse. Gorlom's box has "Wonder Woman" on it. I wonder what this Ambush Bug suit will >pop<