Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russian translation

He wants you to translate something at the end of the article. (He has used googletranslate to read it in english) Is there any proverb at the end? Or something about a pig?

He means "a pig in a poke".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke
    "The idiom pig in a poke can also simply refer to someone buying a low-quality pig in a bag because he or she did not carefully check what was in the bag". Buying something without knowing what it is.
    In the original russian version it's "cat in a bag" (Кот в мешке).
    Oink!
    There are 2 ways to reach Cydonia:
    1). Build the Avenger
    2). Build a mountain of dead rookies

So.. the article is cautious about the game? Or in which context is it useing the ideom?

The article is 110% positive. The idiom is used to show how good the guys at Goldhawk are by releasing the demo along with the Kickstarter so people can try it and shape up their mind about the game. Most other project only offer promises without any actual gameplay videos, etc...
    There are 2 ways to reach Cydonia:
    1). Build the Avenger
    2). Build a mountain of dead rookies

Oh, NOW I get it! I had to translate article here. Sorry about that. OK. Let's do some English practice

'An independent developer Goldhawk Interactive that is working on the X-COM remake Ė Xenonauts last three years just opened the page on Kickstarter. They are raising funds to make the release closer and better. If they canít reach this target, the release will be later on October this year.
    The Xenonauts gameplay is very similar to original X-COM. In base on classical mechanics developers have made it more profound and understandable. The player leads an international Special Forces group who is trying to defend the planet from the alien invasion. The entire globe is available to him on strategic map, so hi can use the key positions for military base. He has to launch interceptors to dial with UFOs. Construction, research, production of weapons and finance and personnel management is also part of his duties.
    When interceptors catch up with UFOs the game switches to real time air combat. On each side of the air combat take part up to three pilots, and itís possible to command them separately. If you manage to shoot the UFO down, Xenonauts launches turn-based battle. Tactical combat location are generated randomly, and all objects on the tactical map are destroyable. The UFO capture is not only the mission. You also can clean-up occupied territories, attack alien bases and defend your owns.
    Unlike the other developers who collect money by Kickstarter Goldhawk Interactive does not offer buying something you know nothing about. Right now you can download the Xenonauts demo and check this out. The minimum amount for buying a digital copy is $20. The information about other awards is available on the project page.'

And there is a voting below the article.
    The question is Ė Did you like the demo?

For now:

47% 123 Have not seen that and do not want.
    23% 58 Not bad!
    19% 48 Excellent!
    6% 15 So-so.
    5% 12 That's nonsense!

SilverMoonFlare, спасибо за разъяснения!
    Last edited by Olgoy-Horhoy; 05-11-2012 at 17:16.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoonFlare View Post
    He means "a pig in a poke".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke
    "The idiom pig in a poke can also simply refer to someone buying a low-quality pig in a bag because he or she did not carefully check what was in the bag". Buying something without knowing what it is.
    In the original russian version it's "cat in a bag" (Кот в мешке).
    Oink!
    Thanks! I'm a language nerd.
    And thanks Olgoy
    I would if I could, but I can't, so I won't.

Does never not support Unicode?

Squaddie
    Achievements:
    100 Experience PointsWeekling
    Google translate has a lot to learn. Or I should learn Russian (or ask my buddy Igor to translate). Yevgeniy, I did not understand what you mean here. Do you mean "does it still not support unicode"? I'd say, keep this thread alive or PM/spam the devs

Could we perhaps classify this as a bug and let it be mentioned in the known bugs thread? Then we can follow up the status there.

Silver: The proverb is also "buying a cat in a bag" in my native language, Dutch. Why would anyone want to buy a cat or a pig in a bag anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by dekamme View Post
    Silver: The proverb is also "buying a cat in a bag" in my native language, Dutch. Why would anyone want to buy a cat or a pig in a bag anyway?
    Presumably to let it out?

Maybe the bag was a free gift?
    Devil's Advocate and forum moderator