Xenonauts V1.0 Released!

I'd like to say I'm very pleasantly surprised with the AI changes - great work there, credit where it's due! Lost a soldier in the very second mission and suffered an entire squad wipe in the third (although sleep deprivation certainly contributed). Still early days but it seems Insane difficulty will live up to the tag!

I'm also pretty impressed with the changed LOS mechanics (in comparison with V21 Stable) - the fact you don't hold sight over every tile your soldiers have seen in the current turn adds a much more dynamic tactical feel to Ground Combat and certainly keeps you on your toes.

Another positive note is that after wrestling with my HD to run the game properly I am yet to encounter any bugs, even though I can sense the Soldier Equip button lurking in the shadows. I expected plethora of issues considering how quickly the version was pushed through the door to meet the deadline but that's definitely not the case.

Please allow me to extend my congratulations for the terrific combination of hard work, resilience and top-notch creative control demonstrated by the team and Chris in particular. I've only been around for a short while but I've been awestruck by what I have witnessed and it's been a genuine pleasure to touch to this project more intimately.

I just registered to say thank you for all your hard work finishing this project. The game we all loved once (and probably still play sometimes) could never have a more dedicated developer than yourselves and the game is indeed a worthy successor to X-Com.

I bought the game when you were only offering it on Desura a couple years ago and checked back every half year or so, it was great to see the game evolving into the gem it is today. I just downloaded it yesterday from Steam and it is simply amazing, well worth the wait.

Looking forward to your next ambitious project lads, all the best!

Great news, and congratulations on the big event

I have been playing the game a bit now with v1 and looks very stable (1 crash on equipment screen after a day), and polished. Overall I am really satisfied how the game turned out.

Some things I found that could be improved or rather may not be intentional:

- Music plays even if music volume is set to zero (maybe using relative adjustment and the 0 marc is no torn-off switch :)

- Noticed that the alloys and alenium are not refunded when canceling an aircraft manufacture even if it has just been issued (the resources are lost instantly)

- Minor GUI glitches where soldiers are behind UFO front image

Dear DEVs

I played the game on v1 till the end and like mentioned before: Great game though not without a few findings. Please note that I have played v1 though read the change logs of the 3 minor experimental builds. Here are all the findings I have with the exception of those mentioned as being fixed in the change logs (went to 365 UFOs till game end without singularity gun):

Ground combat

- Tank deployment bracket is above the tank sprite when placing tank with Valkyre (reproducible)

- Cannot target and shoot wall to make hidden passages free. Have to target behind the wall segment which is a odd

- Grenade not always visible where it has fallen (make it fly slower?)

- CTD when shooting door in final mission with tank mag cannon

- CTD when opening door in final mission (not reproducible reliably) - 4 sebillians where on the other side

- No props in final room but a door on the other side (invisible?)

- Props invisible in the side rooms of the final mission. They were preventing shots that is how I noticed them

- There is no difference in TU usage of belt and backpack items. This may be due to the quick grenade slot which would be need to calculate different TU usage for items located in one or the other - but without difference the is no sense having to different locations especially if the size of the backpack enables everything a soldier can carry with 100 strength (the belt has two one unit slots but is never needed due to the large backpack). It also makes sense from a logical point of view to have items in belt used with less TU, and makes for more interesting equipment decisions.

- Backpack needs limitation of 5X3 in order to give the belt slots existence - else the backpack is always enough for items a soldier can carry with its limited strength - would also impose a good limitation on heavy weapon ammo if that is increased to two tiles even on later tiers

- The cheat to have all slots stuffed with items and then dropped in turn 1 is still viable and gives large advantages (e.g.: in case of rocket troops)

Geoscape

- Strength is shows as being 100 for soldiers in the base personal screen when they wear the predator armor which is not useful when comparing soldier stats.

- Tank weapon choice stats are not shown in vehicle equipment screen though a lot of place is available for such info

- Relation: "bad" is shown when a continent is lost. Could be worse like hostile :)

- Increase canvas of plane selection menu in base plane equipment menu so show 5-6 planes without scrolling (the place is there)

- Increase canvas of weapon selection menu in base equipment screen so all items of ballistics, mad and other categories are shown without scrolling (there is space for it)

- Storeroom list of items needs to be shifted down a few pixels when transferring due to the additional menu options on the top appearing

- Aircraft and vehicle equipment menu is largely unnecessary with auto equip, but tanks are still not auto equipped with new weapons

- Financial balance was optimal for me in v1 - leaving room for errors and allowing to build new bases but not enough to do everything. Lost one continent in the game - if it is strongly changed I would imagine that the balance is off - need to leave room for errors else save scum is furthered

- Music plays even if music volume is set to zero (maybe using relative adjustment and the 0 marc is no torn-off switch

- Noticed that the alloys and alenium are not refunded when canceling an aircraft manufacture even if it has just been issued (the resources are lost instantly)

Features

- Operation endgame button more visible/striking (it is a high priority apocalypse button) Green colors could dominate here and highlight the button background and outlines with different shades of green

- Tanks should be shown in garage when viewing the base layout since we use this view to get an overview on number and type of planes as well (it is also the best designed management view so information should be tied in where possible)

- Sorting of soldiers within base/personal menu does not show sorting direction set (asc/desc)

- Strip all equipment function for soldiers in the base

- Geoscape does not contain much information and the range of planes specifically. Would be nice to have each type of planes and their range on the bottom of the map so to have more useful info there and also help planning air coverage. Icons of air combat could be used and a simple distance meter like in maps showing the range with larger numbers displayed to help orientation and increase immersion: 1000km? 2000km...etc...

- One of the most important function of geoscape is showing relation and funding levels + changes for continents but the information is only displayed for each continent when cursor is above making for a lot of useless hovering. Information should be shown directly over the continents themselves and even color code them - maybe via buttons so they can be blended out so not to disturb in interception orders.

- Statistics from UFO activity are missing that were present in the original

- Mag ammo is very thin and without character

- All heavy weapon ammo should take up 2 slots just like in case of heavy machine gun. When predator is used the armor can take a crazy amount of ammo with him which may make sense but is not fun - If heavy ammo would take 2 slots the predator could only take 13 magazines which is still more then enough but looks and feels much better

- Final mission optional objective is lackluster - Maybe its just me but I do not care about the survival of my virtual troops in the final mission since there is no strategic/tactical payoff nor emotional - no image of dead soldiers or other just same victory image

- Hall of fame in game for won games and their statistics (mission count, lost civilians, soldiers, date and which ending is achieved)

Please note that these are all the gripes I could think of (taking on my nitpick glasses). Sorry for writing so long I just hope that the above can help you make this truly good game even better.

Edited by zolobolo

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, the game is finally out? Hot damn, time to give it another go then. Can't believe I actually ended up playing a finished Xenonauts before buying and playing the new XCOM (just tried the demo). Congrats to Chris and the rest of the crew for a job well done.

Hey, just want to say grats to devs :))) Game is finaly out. Time to load my Steam and try final version of the game. Just found out about final version on a torrent site, well, not sure this is good or bad, but game is already so popular if appears on torrents :)

Congratulations to the Goldhawk Team!!! It's been a long ride, but a great one. Out of all the X-Com remakes and inspired successors over the years since the original, Xenonauts is By FAR the best one I've ever played. If only Firaxis's "re-imagining" of X-Com had the depth of your game. I hope some day you do a Xenonauts 2!!!

Which version 1 should I play, this version 1 or the version 1 before version 1, or the version 1 before version 1.5?

Congratulations. :)

I'm playing on the last 1.04 HF before 1.05 hit. Seems great to me without any of the bugs I saw on the forums mentioned in 1.05. Thinking about starting over with the current official build though.

I had the same problem with the endgame. After several turns on the final mission, I just automatically win. I never made it to the Praetor.......just a victory screen. I tried it about 3 times, and I always just win after about 10 or so turns.

I was having a great time, no major bugs......until the final mission.