OK, what are Steam Trading Cards and why would you want them?

Here you go with a good example - one of the most popular Kickstarter game projects in recent days:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1581450659/worst-game-ever?ref=discovery

I would never buy a steam trading card, or buy a game to get a steam trading card. Getting cards for the games I was going to buy anyway is okay with me. Cause, why not.

That project linked is totally up front about what it is, looks like it'd be fun, and has an amusing theme. Unless they give you a 1/200th of the possible cards and sell booster packs, it's not fair to compare that with trading cards.

Edited by Mathalor

• 4 weeks later...
It's highly unlikely as it is too soon after release and Chris has already stated it would make those who already purchased feel ripped off.

They could greatly increase the player base if they put it down for 25% off. I know that it was part of a community choice vote that lost. The people who bought it on steam knew that there was a summer sale coming, but decided to support the official release and buy it then. They would understand if it went on sale now.

Well, since they introduced those cards I made about 20 euros or so over a year. By simply gathering cards by playing games and selling them, I didn't even buy games solely for the cards.

I got Torchlight 2 basically for free and that game is a blast.

I have yet to decide what to do with most of my cards, but I sell the repeats I get in order to make getting a full set easier. I like what other people have said previously: sell cards from games you don't like to get a badge for a game you do. The only problem I see with that is that it takes play time to earn cards; if I don't like a game I'm unlikely to put in the time required to earn cards.

Well, you DO get crap like steam profile wallpapers and emoticons for crafting badges and some of them DO have nice artwork. Though honestly, they only get sold because gamers happen to be sort of people who like collecting crap.

Seriously, I don't get collectible trading cards in real life either, I get trading card games since at least you can play those, but cards which exists just to collect them?... Yeah, don't get why someone would want piece of cardboard with baseball player or some crap like that