Secondary Mission Objectives

Loki45

I was reading the project status and noticed that in the list there was a mention of adding secondary mission objectives. What are these going to be? Is this essentially getting a new objective during a battle such as rescuing a hostage or something? It sounds interesting whatever it might be.

That's not so much a secondary objective as an alternate primary objective ad. Secondary missions should be non-mission-critical, they provide a bonus but if you fail them you don't fail the mission, if you complete them you still need to complete the mission. Aside from the terror mission examples, I'm not certain we've been told of any other types of secondary objective, though some ideas for them present themselves: capture an alien leader present during a mission alive, capture an example of new tech, don't destroy over a certain amount of the battlefield, don't kill civvies, evac a vip from a city...

Lots of options, but it depends on what Chris has in mind. And maybe securing the ufo for a set number of turns is exactly what he meant by a secondary objective, but I'd quibble with the definition ; )

Hmm, another secondary objective could be: Kill every alien in a base attack (their base, not yours). You don't have to, but you can and should get much better rewards. Chris did mention upping the loot for base attacks to make them more worthwhile, so having a full clear give you much higher amounts of loot would work into that as well.

That's cool. It will be nice to have a little variety in what you are called to do. It is cool doing UFO recovery missions and terror site missions, but adding something unusual that may not be as important as normal missions would be cool too especially if there is something unique to be gotten from it.

So, kind of like challenges then.

Chris has already said there won't be unique or 'boss' items though, so having the secondary objectives give other things could be useful. Relations points, research boosts, money (since most alien gear is sold at mission end, extra loot comes under this), having the secondary objectives intact giving a global morale bonus for the mission, all of these are usable bonuses.

The basic idea behind the secondary objectives is that you get bonuses to your score - and the mission score is added directly to (or subtracted from) the relations score of the nation where it occurs.

This is distinct from the primary objectives, of which there can be multiple for each mission. These are mission critical and completion or failure of them will cause corresponding mission success or failure.

Secondary objectives would be protecting VIP civilians etc. We've not formally implemented them yet. We're open to suggestions as to what they should be - but we can't have any long-term effects arising from these objectives. Relations with the nation in question, a cash sum, or perhaps even a global morale boost are possible, but I don't think a research boost (new projects) would be a good idea. Nor would stat boosts.

This sounds very interesting and a awesome addition to the game, I love it when you can raise the level of difficulty for yourself just based on extra objectives that actually rewards you for it.

I think it would be cool to get bonuses for not destroying structures as well. What if there was some awesome reward or alien tech inside of a building that got destroyed if you blew up the walls?

Hah, so far for Disruptor Pulse Launcher nukefest on alien colonies in Terror form the Deep :P This is a prime example of raising difficulty for yourself, this could potentially make the game WAY harder, which is always nice !

Well the actual alien technology tiles are recoverable, just like in X-Com. If you go into a UFO blazing away and destroy everything, you won't have an awful lot to recover. But if you capture it intact...

We've gone further than X-Com in the sense that all the alien tiles have an Alien Alloys and Alenium content, so even destroying relatively pointless parts of the UFO still damages the amount of recoverable materials.

Just a few ideas for secondary objectives:

Rescue a Pilot

This could occur during a UFO recovery mission if one of your interceptors is shot down during a battle where the UFO is also downed.

Aid Local Forces

Possibly during a terror mission or landed UFO, some of the local forces could be pinned down. Getting them out alive would obviously provide support from them during the mission and possibly provide a little relations boost (probably the same or slightly higher than saving a civillian).

Protect/Do Not Destroy Building

I'm unsure about this as, since I came accross this game after paypal messed up pre-orders, I have not seen what building types are available. Anyway I was thinking that some buildings would be deemed more important, such as:

Churches (As they are a symbol of hope for some, they would boost morale if saved, or lower it if destroyed/badly damaged)

Town/City Hall (Since they house government employees, this could slightly improve relations if left intact, or reduce relations if destroyed/badly damaged)

As I said, I am unsure as to what kind of buildings have been implemented but there could be lots possible 'important' buildings. Others could include Hospitals for obvious reasons, Farms as food would likely become scarce in an alien invasion etc etc.

Retrieve Item

If there are missions in a military installment for example, there could be something of importance (maybe launch codes or a weapon cache) which, if recovered, the military would reward you with money or possibly 1 above average soldier becomes available to buy as the military have decided to make him available to you, although this would be fairly rare as to not unbalance the game.

To recover the item it must be picked up by one of your xenonauts and either held at the end of the mission or dropped inside the chinook.

Thats about all I can think of for now but ill post anymore that come to mind.

Sec. Objective: Investigate a certain type of alien.

Completed by capturing a live specimen of that kind.

Alternative: A scanner "gun".

Basically a video camera / Star Trek Tricorder of sorts.

You "shoot" the right alien a number of times to complete the objective.

Well the actual alien technology tiles are recoverable, just like in X-Com. If you go into a UFO blazing away and destroy everything, you won't have an awful lot to recover. But if you capture it intact...

We've gone further than X-Com in the sense that all the alien tiles have an Alien Alloys and Alenium content, so even destroying relatively pointless parts of the UFO still damages the amount of recoverable materials.

The great news keeps on coming, wicked ! I'm completely into that amount of detail, ow yeah !

Is it a possibility that you find new objectives while in a mission? I think it would be cool to have something happen during a mission that would give you the opportunity to pursue an additional objective such as rescuing a civilian hostage, the opportunity to capture an unusual alien life form, or even rescue an alien who wants to defect to the other side.

Also for example on regular UFO recovery missions, you can capture and hold the UFO for 5 turns, rather than having to run around and find every last alien on the battlefield

I totally hated when you got all of your men (and women) into a huge butt ufo and kill all of the aliens in it and you find out there is still one outside.

• 3 months later...

Does this mean that after we start useing the new scout UFO look that we will see less materials recovered becouse the wings are gone?

or were the wings and hull ever included in the alien tiles and recoverable materials stated above?

seems like i remember it being said that the basic ufo structure was going to be indestructable in the ground battles, just wondering if even the indestructable parts drop materials too?

if thats true then no matter how bad you blow up a ufo in ground battles at leaste you would get something out of it. :)

Edited by NoIdidnt

We're open to suggestions as to what they should be - but we can't have any long-term effects arising from these objectives. Relations with the nation in question, a cash sum, or perhaps even a global morale boost are possible, but I don't think a research boost (new projects) would be a good idea. Nor would stat boosts.

One possibility for a reward would be that for completing a secondary objective you add +1 to a global counter.

The counter is capped at 5-6 max and is decreased by 1 every day.

When generating new recruits, you add rnd(0 to counter) to their starting stats.

If you (as a Xenonauts commander) "go the extra mile", so do the supporting nations when screening their soldiers.