V22 Experimental 10 Stealth Fix!

Is this working as intended? It seems the reaction check is done after my soldier's action. Here's what I observe: I see an alien out of the dropship, fire at it with my Sniper or on full auto. The alien, if not suppressed, immediately returns fire. I guess this is because my soldier is, after firing, at something like 25% TU and the check happens then?

Yeah, the check is made *after* the action you performed, not before it.

EDIT: @Anderty: Yeah, I think if you lose a country there's not a lot of point having coverage over it other than for the sake of shooting down UFOs for looting. Might be better saving your resources and putting them elsewhere.

Snipers are a pretty bad choice to shoot at the low TU aliens unless you're sure they'll kill it in one shot, as they have a 0.5x reaction fire modifier and each shot is expensive. Even with a 50% TU the alien is likely to return fire immediately, whereas they most likely would not if you took a shot at them with a rifle.

I'm not sure if aliens abandon missions over lost counties. I don't think they do - but they should at least stop terror sites above them.

Snipers are a pretty bad choice to shoot at the low TU aliens unless you're sure they'll kill it in one shot, as they have a 0.5x reaction fire modifier and each shot is expensive. Even with a 50% TU the alien is likely to return fire immediately, whereas they most likely would not if you took a shot at them with a rifle.

Is there any overview about the modificators in this interruption system? For example I didn't know about the 0.5x modifier. When the interruption check happens and how exactly it's calculated. And when / how much TUs are reduced when being shot at. As mentioned before, doesn't really feel intuitive at all, so a rule overview about this would be cool.

Chris, is it intentional that soldiers can panic without having actually lost any morale?

There's currently a chance of panicking for each point below 49, but soldiers can start with as little as 35 bravery, meaning that some soldiers might always have a chance of panicking.

Doesn't sound like a good mechanic if you ask me. That's like having a soldier which doesn't just miss, but shoots himself into his head - until he missed some "incidents" and survived the mission anyhow in order to shoot straight without hurting himself.

That kind of mental issues might not trigger in training or when fighting in "normal" situations...? Just the thought of having to face an unknown threat from outer space could push mentally weaker guys over the edge.

Edited by Skitso

But the thing is, that this will lead to nothing but frustration:

Frustration especially for new players who are not aware of the formular and are just wondering "wtf did I wrong here?"

Frustration for Ironman players. You can't just load due to these incidents. You might as well filter out low morale solders right away.

General Frustration for increased and unnecessary RNG.

Except the points they don't have in bravery they have in other stats instead, so it's not RNG at all. Otherwise you may as well filter by low bravery soldiers, because they'd be better overall.

Soldier gain a bravery point every time they panic, anyway. It's hardly the end of the world.

I am with Chris on this one and it's rather pleasant addition, too. New players should easily figure soldier panic events are related to bravery and deal with it appropriately whatever way they see fit. It also adds an interesting squad assembling choice given those soldiers have other stats boosted and bravery is much accessible to train.

I dunno. I'm not sure I'm convinced, as I can't see what the game gains from it.

Having a think through it:

- It makes the Fear ability more powerful, as any soldier affected by Fear automatically has a chance of panicking. (More or less. You can have morale scores above 100, but in terms of raw bravery its impossible to be 'immune' to the Fear power because it never drops your morale low enough).

- It makes soldiers overall more liable to panic.

- It makes high bravery more valuable.

- It allows low bravery soldiers to level up their bravery more easily.

So the key things seem to be greater value to the bravery attribute and more opportunities to increase it vs. there being instances of random panic which - if you don't know what's going on - looks like a bug.

How else could you do all this, without the random panicking? Some thoughts:

- Panic events can happen from 34 morale or lower (i.e. just below the minimum soldier morale) and the chance changed from 1.5%/point below to 2% (about the same max panic chance overall)

- Halve morale recovery (from 10/turn to 5/turn) to account for a narrower 'panic zone'. Adjust morale recovery for panicking from 40 to 30, again to account for the narrower zone.

- Increase the morale penalty caused by the Fear power from 50% reduction to something higher (say 65-70%). Even a 100 morale soldier will have a chance of panicking as a result, as in the extant system.

- Increase the impact of negative morale events (having a quick look at the numbers, between 50-100% increase would produce similar levels of panic to the present system, with more extreme results around the extreme bravery scores).

I'm not sure that this system would be much different to the new existing one, but would lack the random panicking. Low bravery soldiers would still have a chance of panicking even at the slightest provocation, but wouldn't just freak out on the player for seemingly no reason.

(Yes, this is lots of theory-crafting. But in the only mission I played through tonight, I hit upon this issue straight away. It totally looked like a bug, and I'm not convinced that things that look like bugs are a good thing to have in the game, personally).

I've discovered a game breaking bug in my v9 playthrough; I get a crash whenever I relocate an aircraft to my third base. It happens every time, with any type of aircraft. I've tried fast-forwarding a week and it made no difference. It effectively renders my third base useless, unless I build a workshop there.

[ATTACH]3864[/ATTACH]

1.sav

1.sav

Edited by Troublechuter

Previously the back room in a scout ship was always empty. Chris mentioned it was his intention to put some ETs there, and try to keep them there. Well, it worked, just did my 5th scout in a row, and in every one two aliens are in the back room. Problem is that they are always in the exact same position, turned 90 degrees from the door and behind cover. Whoever is standing/crouching in the doorway, and the guy behind him, can chuck grenades and fire away with impunity.

So, objective achieved. But, they're sitting ducks. Don't know if anything can be done about it

Edited by dpelectric

Problem is that they are always in the exact same position, turned 90 degrees from the door and behind cover. Whoever is standing/crouching in the doorway, and the guy behind him, can chuck grenades and fire away with impunity.

So, objective achieved. But, they're sitting ducks. Don't know if anything can be done about it

I think Gijs-Jan is aware of this problem. You might post it in the bug section just to be sure. Whether it will/is get fixed I don't know time is running very short now.