Suggestion - New Ranking system

hey ,

first let me apologize I don't know if im in the correct forum but I really wanted to voice an idea

one of the most annoying things for me is that soldiers get ranks without any regard to their performance

for instance in the last play through I had a guy who killed his team leader (a captain) and mortally wounded another ( who later died because I couldn't get to him)

at the end of the stage he was promoted ... ????

my suggestion : allow soldiers stats to improve but give the player "Upgrading points" so they can choose themselves who should get a better rank ( ranks could give bonus points like bravery or strength)

that way the good soldiers will be team leaders , instead of the ones with crappy accuracy who I had to put on the team to add to the firepower

this will also immerse the players in the game as the high commander as they are the ones making the important choices

on the off chance this is not accepted (I don't see why not) I would at least suggest a penal system to remove a soldiers ability to upgrade if he hit another team member or kills a civilan

like it would be in real life

again for the immersion and the feel of control

hope you like the idea

and hope im in the correct forum

From the xml files:

<soldierRanks>

<!-- Soldiers increase their ranking when they have a certain number of rank points. A rank point is gained each time an AP, strength, accuracy, reflexes or bravery progress is done. -->

<Private rankPoints="0" />

<Corporal rankPoints="3" />

<Sergeant rankPoints="9" />

<Lieutenant rankPoints="16" />

<Captain rankPoints="30" />

<Major rankPoints="45" />

<Commander rankPoints="75" />

<Colonel rankPoints="100" />

</soldierRanks>

There is no chance of this system changing in my opinion.

There have been quite a few suggestions of changes to it over the years but Chris has not been interested and is highly unlikely to change his mind this close to release.

the more your soldier levels up, the more he will level up

In the OG that was definitely the case but I don't see it in Xenonauts.

Being a higher rank doesn't mean they will be promoted any quicker in future.

In fact there is a significant increase in the required skill gains for each new rank.

Also remember that unlike the OG there is not a pyramid structure to ranks where your highest ranked soldier will always get promoted first to free up a space in the lower rank.

You could have every last one of your soldiers at Colonel rank if you got them into enough fights and gained enough skills.

If you had a soldier who didn't do much for a few fights then he would start to fall behind, a soldier who was in the thick of the fighting could start to pull ahead.

Skill gains are not really based on current skills and are generally limited to one point per battle, per attribute.

Having a higher accuracy doesn't give a better chance for an accuracy gain so higher ranked soldiers do not have an advantage there.

Their only real advantage is that they are generally better soldiers so likely to live longer than an absolute rookie.

Also from the xml:

<!-- SOLDIER DEVELOPMENT VARIABLES -->

<soldierDevelopment>

<!-- Soldiers develop their attributes by using them. Each time the soldier performs a certain action, he will gain a "progress point" in that attribute. Once he reaches the "pointsToProgress" value, the attribute will increase by one point. These progress points are cumulative and are stored from mission to mission. -->

<APProgress pointsToProgress="250" maxPointsInSingleBattle="500" globalMaxProgress="98" comment="A progress point is earned every time a soldier spends a TU on a mission" />

<strengthProgress pointsToProgress="20" maxPointsInSingleBattle="20" globalMaxProgress="98" strengthCoeff="80" comment="Points are given when soldier moves one tile while carrying more than strengthCoeff percent of its maximum carry weight" />

<accuracyProgress pointsToProgress="1" maxPointsInSingleBattle="1" globalMaxProgress="98" comment="Points are given when a soldier attempts to fire at a valid hostile enemy within weapon range * 1.5" />

<reflexesProgress pointsToProgress="1" maxPointsInSingleBattle="1" globalMaxProgress="98" comment="A progress point is gained when a soldier performs a Reaction Fire test (it doesn't matter whether he passes or fails it)" />

<braveryProgress pointsToProgress="1" maxPointsInSingleBattle="1" globalMaxProgress="98" comment="A progress point is earned whenever a soldier panics in battle" />

<resilienceProgress pointsToProgress="5" globalMaxProgress="97" comment="A progress points is earned every time the soldier gets a skillup in any other attribute" />

</soldierDevelopment>

It shouldn't really work that way.

If you have a look in the spoiler section above you will see how each rank point is gained.

TUs go up each time you spend TU, up to a maximum of 500 spent per mission, each 250 gives an extra TU at the end of the mission for a max gain of 2 TU.

Strength goes up if you carry over 80% of max weight for 20 tiles per battle, max gain 1.

Accuracy goes up for taking a shot at (don't need to hit) an enemy within 1.5x weapon range, max gain 1 per battle.

Reflexes go up for making a reaction fire test (don't need to succeed), max gain 1.

Bravery goes up if you panic, max 1.

HP go up every time 5 other stats go up.

As you can see having a higher stat should not make it easier to gain skills with the possible exception of TU.

A soldier with 50 TU would have to spend all of his TU for 10 turns to get both bonus TU at the end of the mission, a soldier with 100 TU would get the same bonus after 5 turns.

I understand your desire to underline the difference from what was definitely a flaw in the OG but it wasn't really what I said :)

Edit: I do understand and agree with your point, mate. I was merely saying the more stats a soldier improves, the more he will grow in rank. Perhaps it didn't come out that way - if so I apologize, it was what I meant. I didn't say improving stats would lead to a quicker rate of improving them further.

Edited by KevinHann

I wasn't referring to the OG.

You suggested that a higher ranked soldier or a soldier with higher stats would gain further ranks faster in Xenonauts from what I understand.

My post tried to explain that this is not the case in Xenonauts.

Higher stats confer no inherent advantage when considering future stat gains.

The exception is TU where having more to spend makes hitting the cap per mission easier.

*edit* I read your post as concern that gaining stats would make it ever easier to gain ranks.

My posts were to try and point out that this was not the case.

I see that you were actually saying something different now but I will leave the explanation for others who are interested in how the levelling system works.

Edited by Gauddlike