The workaround thread

Hello Guys\Girls,

There are some annoying problems, that blocks you in progressing the game, but maybe there is a workaround for it until the next patch, but you just don't know about it. Here you can share your findings with the community.

This thread is not instead of reporting bugs and posting workarounds, this thread is to help each other to progress in the game further.

Workaround for the camera panning on farmlands:

Issue:

You cannot pan camera to the north on farmlands

Solution:

Pan it to two directions at the same time. (Press Up and a Side button \ Hover your cursor to a top corner)

Workaround for the Machine Gunners cannot jump over fences:

Issue:

Machine gunners cannot jump over fences.

Workaround:

Crouch before the fence, then give a move command trough it. (You will see your machine gunner slide over it)

Returning to base with low fuel crash:

Issue:

Sometimes when you keep fighting with low fuel the game crashes.

Workaround:

Whenever the return to base dialog pops up, accept it and flee!

Please share your findings, and thank you for the good job guys :).

• 2 weeks later...

Frozen game on reaction fire:

Issue:

Reaction fire from invisible aliens causes game to hang.

Workaround:

Edit xenonauts\assets\units\alien\caesan\noncombatant\weapon.AlienPlasmaPistol\soldier_spectre.xml

In that file, replace every occurence of caesan/weapon with caesan/noncombatant/weapon

This fixes both the reaction fire hang and alien invisibility (so far, for me :) ).

Issue:

Workaround:

Edit xenonauts\assets\units\alien\caesan\noncombatant\weapon.AlienPlasmaPistol\soldier_spectre.xml

In that file, replace every occurence of caesan/weapon with caesan/noncombatant/weapon

This fixes both the reaction fire hang and alien invisibility (so far, for me :) ).

He he...took me forever to figure out what was going on...I couldn't find that file and it was driving me insane.

Duh. Playing the game on Desura means you don't have that file on your system so you can't do the workaround unless you download the game's zip file.

Duh. Playing the game on Desura means you don't have that file on your system so you can't do the workaround unless you download the game's zip file.

doing a search on my computer came up with nothing also but i finally found the correct path at - c: programfiles/desura/common/xenonauts

Issue:

Workaround:

Could you please upload such workaround? it happens to me all the time and I have to load the game.

Oh !! and thanks to NoIdidnt for the savegame workaround

• 3 weeks later...

Bug v9.1 - Machine guns do not fire using basic armour.

Workaround:

Open your assets/units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun folder

Locate and open soldier_spectre.xml

Copy the entries below and add them to soldier_spectre, above </state>.

Save and exit soldier_spectre.

The machine gun should now work, note that the animations will not be correct but it will fire.

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/crouchburstshoot_w" anim="crouchburstshot_NY"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/crouchburstshoot_e" anim="crouchburstshot_K"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/crouchburstshoot_n" anim="crouchburstshot_E"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/crouchburstshoot_s" anim="crouchburstshot_D"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/crouchburstshoot_nw" anim="crouchburstshot_ENY"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/crouchburstshoot_ne" anim="crouchburstshot_EK"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/crouchburstshoot_sw" anim="crouchburstshot_DNY"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/crouchburstshoot_se" anim="crouchburstshot_DK"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/burstshoot_w" anim="burstshot_NY"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/burstshoot_e" anim="burstshot_K"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/burstshoot_n" anim="burstshot_E"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/burstshoot_s" anim="burstshot_D"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/burstshoot_nw" anim="burstshot_ENY"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/burstshoot_ne" anim="burstshot_EK"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/burstshoot_sw" anim="burstshot_DNY"/>

<anim src="units/xenonaut/basicarmour/weapon.machinegun/burstshoot_se" anim="burstshot_DK"/>

• 2 weeks later...

V9.2 CTD when accessing soldier inventory over a dead alien.

The alien plasma cell has no inventory image associated with it.

If you want to fix it open assets/weapons and make a new folder called plasma.

Copy the lasercell.png from assets/weapons/laser into your new folder and rename it plasmacell.png.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, thanks for posting that here craftomega, I'd not had chance to do it myself yet. Just to update the fix; it seems you can leave the friendly AI in if you like, although as they're not currently active I don't really feel the need personally, but if you'd rather, it's safe to.

Random increase of weight bug.

Fix 1. At the end of every mission, after your solders get home, go to the solder screen and pick up and put down all of there on hand weapons.

Fix 2. If you are in a mission and you encounter the bug, pick any solder and open and close his inventory. The next round all your solders ap will be back to normal.

Edited by craftomega

In the game when a xenonuat picks up an alien weapon and tries to use it the game crashes.

This is a little fix that makes that problem go away, it makes the alien weapons and well, all the weapons that don’t have sprites call upon other weapons sprites. Similar to what is being done with the starter sniper rifle.

HOW TO INSTALL!!! READ THIS!!!!

-Take .rar file and place inside the Xenonauts folder. (The one with the .exe)

-right click and press extract here !!

-Click yes to overwrite all files.

-This will in no way cause harm to your game.

http://www.mediafire.com/?82hbh9r1diy2lkt

Edited by craftomega

Issue:

Workaround:

He he...took me forever to figure out what was going on...I couldn't find that file and it was driving me insane.

I downloaded the 9.31 zip, but it does not contain a weapon.AlienPlasmaPistol folder in xenonauts\assets\units\alien\caesan\noncombatant

The only folders there are none and weapon.AlienPlasmaRifle, both of which are empty.

I downloaded the 9.31 zip, but it does not contain a weapon.AlienPlasmaPistol folder in xenonauts\assets\units\alien\caesan\noncombatant

The only folders there are none and weapon.AlienPlasmaRifle, both of which are empty.

That bug shouldn't be an issue in 9.31. Are you getting a reaction fire mesage before hanging/looping or just the standard hidden movement screen?

If you don't have the problem you don't really need to bother with the workaround anymore.

Are you getting a reaction fire mesage before hanging/looping or just the standard hidden movement screen?

Actually, I'm not entirely sure which bug(s) I'm getting. In the 8-odd ground combats I've tried (all of which froze after a turn or three) I've seen:

Hang during the "Hidden Movement" on-screen graphic.

Return from the "Hidden Movement" onscreen graphic, but my units are unselectable.

Hang during action revealed by my soldier's sight, during the alien turn.

I was presuming that this is two different bugs. I tired editing missiontypeprops_gc.xml to reduce civilianCount and friendlyAICount to 0 everywhere, but still see allies in the ground battle.

I've seen all three problems described above in 9.4 run with Desura client, and 9.3 downloaded and uinzipped.

EDIT: I was testing by running Quick Battles, and it occurred to me that this may be part of the problem. So I ran a Full Demo, and made it through a ground combat for the first time. And 9.5 is available, now. Time to test without the civvies/allies workaround.

Edited by Mnemnify

Work around for transferring Items between bases that have zero cost so won't transfer:

Annoying bug but easily worked around, just transfer a token unit of something that has a value (Alenium, Alien Alloys, Alenium Missiles/Torpedoes) alongside the items you want moving.

You'll only get charged for the token item, but your other things *will* be on the transport and will arrive at the other base.

Bonus workaround: You can give items a "Sell Value" in items.xml.

I don't know if it affects end of missions yet, but I can now transfer (and sell) the massive quantities of Plasma cells I've gathered.

Edited by Buzzles

Workaround for CTD with multiple transports in the air.

Issue: The game CTD when one of your transports should land at a base, or you see a immobile transport at one start base.

Workaround: Remember to only send one transport for everytime you are in Base management. If you like to send another transport, exit to Geoscape and let some time pass (see the C-17 start). Only thereafter can you continue with the loading of next transport.

No workaround on research bug? AFAIK I'm supposed to be able to research lasers after researching a recovered plasmarifle and pistol, but so far I've got nothing.

As the bug is involving saving (and/or loading), the only workaround is to play in one session, no quitting and loading. Ironman style.