Different graphics/animations for death and unconsciousness

Well, sometimes I find difficulty to know if an enemy or a soldier was killed of left unconscious by the damage taken and it leads to unsure decisions: should I try to stun another alien? Does this soldier needs help or he is gone? Since the game have no text status like "[alien/soldier] was killed" or "[alien/soldier] was knocked unconscious", I think some graphic information would be welcome and also preferable.

It dont need to be something entirely new. Maybe when knocked unconscious the individual just fall on the ground untouched and if he was killed he falls with some blood sprites added and end in a pool of blood. I think both the current graphics for the aliens and humans could easily be adapted to it.

Is it possible? Can it still be implemented before the game launch or after it?

well once one of my men got turned into a pile of goo, just pink guts and mess everywhere. When i ended the mission he survived... man i'd like to know who the doc was that patched him up from the remains splattered all over the footpath, guy was a freakin genius.

I think we only can see about it when over the body and you hit I (inventory). Unconscious body looks intact in the inventory screen and dead body looks dirty and bloody (both for aliens and soldiers). At least I found the art work for both situations in the folders, I didn't checked it ingame yet. If it's true, I like it that way. You actually have to move there and check the guy status instead of knowing it from far away.

Didn't the OG have a little message pop-up...like "Mikhail Ragulin has fallen unconscious"? I seem to remember something made it easy to tell the difference back then.

If it is supposed to show, I may having a bug now. The only text it shows me is the bleeding damage and moral status (like panicking, berzerking, etc). It never tells me anything if a specific alien or soldier fell dead or unconscious.

Yeah it did. They also didn't scream like with KIAs.

This said, it mattered a lot more in the OG, since you could revive unconscious soldiers and often needed to heal them to stop them bleeding out. The aliens used stun weapons, as well. On the other hand, in Xenonauts pretty much the only way for soldiers to be stunned is for you to do it to them by accident. So while an indicator would be nice, it's not nearly as important I don't think.

kabill, aliens constantly use stun grenades against me. Not sure if they are supposed to, but they do. Seems like the gas grenade. It's not always effective but sometimes they down a soldier with it. Also soldiers who fall for bleeding damage could go unconscious before dead.

kabill, aliens constantly use stun grenades against me. Not sure if they are supposed to, but they do. Seems like the gas grenade. It's not always effective but sometimes they down a soldier with it. Also soldiers who fall for bleeding damage could go unconscious before dead.

I was going to say that this is strange, but am I right in thinking you're running TD's mod? I'm fairly certain there's not supposed to be stun weapons in vanilla, anyway (and a quick check of the game files doesn't suggest otherwise).

In which case, yes, having an indicator would be useful for mods definitely.