Skitso's Ultimate Megamix Map Pack

Skitso

No trouble. Even the stuff you've written there is interesting: I like maps to feel "natural" too but it never occurred to me to use photographs or similar as a way of inspiring ideas.

(I'm wondering as an alternative whether it might not be worth simply having a thread that mappers can post ideas/methods on for others to look at. Avoids the burden of anyone writing anything extensive.)

A lot of mapping ideas and questions/answers have also been discussed in older threads by Stinky and others. If anybody was to write a guide they could maybe save themselves some time by simply consolidating that information in one place and linking it together in a logical fashion

Yes ^ because I'd love to try mapping but am a bit intimidated due to my lack of prior experience and because I don't want to be a pest with constant questions. A clear and thorough guide for mapping noobs might give me the confidence to try it.

Yes, I would also love to do maps, and am also afraid of the steep learning curve, the noob questions that will arise and that I have to fire into threads like this. A beginners guide would be helpful. The "how to map..." sticky scares me actually, it looks so complicated.

In particular I'd like to try maps with a lot more water in them. The only time you see water is in arctic maps, and the Earth is like 3/4 liquid. Everything is so dry and barren (and the water tiles are animated). I'd have ponds in my farms, an oasis in the desert, beaches and rivers and streams and swamps. I realize you'd have to make the average map a lot bigger pre-flying armor to make up for the impassable spaces, which I'd do, and then place water obstacles on cruiser-plus maps in such a way as to give you a sense of reward for having hovering tanks and troops

Like this by Raakku, which I absolutely loved, and have no idea why maps like this aren't in the game:

http://www.goldhawkinteractive.com/forums/showthread.php/3658-Farm-stuff

It's a lot of work to make it work and look good. I doubt I'll ever get to add water in my maps... but if you have the enthusiasm for it, why won't you give it a try?

Edited by Skitso

Yes, I would also love to do maps, and am also afraid of the steep learning curve, the noob questions that will arise and that I have to fire into threads like this. A beginners guide would be helpful. The "how to map..." sticky scares me actually, it looks so complicated.

It's not that hard, to be honest. Just start with something small and simple and go from there. If you can't figure something out, we'll help you through.

It's not that hard, to be honest. Just start with something small and simple and go from there. If you can't figure something out, we'll help you through.

I'd echo this. The submap editor is a bit complex, but if you just stick to using existing submaps to start off with it's really easy to bung together new maps. They won't necessarily be any good, mind! But they should work, more or less.

EDIT: Ugh, just saw the thread you started, Skitso. Sorry for spamming your thread; I'll stop now.

i got an issue while playing on farm map.

as screenshot below, some object are invisible.

seems only happens on farm map with new v1.0 map pack.

11.jpg

i use your map pack and improved tree stumps + community edition 0.21, ECS 1.1.3 right now.

other than that, this map pack is amazing!!

thank you for your hard work:) really improves my experience.

11.jpg

11.jpg.43f3ef9c9f1c699399182dcd90c02ed7.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4414[/ATTACH]

found out invisible cluster become visible after getting damaged.

does anyone have this issue?

I checked all the relevant assets and they are fine. Only thing I can think of that could cause that is the caesan spawned inside the tree and caused it to not show. I'll look into it and make adjustments if needed.

In particular I'd like to try maps with a lot more water in them. The only time you see water is in arctic maps, and the Earth is like 3/4 liquid. Everything is so dry and barren (and the water tiles are animated). I'd have ponds in my farms, an oasis in the desert, beaches and rivers and streams and swamps. I realize you'd have to make the average map a lot bigger pre-flying armor to make up for the impassable spaces, which I'd do, and then place water obstacles on cruiser-plus maps in such a way as to give you a sense of reward for having hovering tanks and troops

Water is good because, as well as being pleasing on the eye, it's unsafe and therefore unsettling. Always likely to be some sniper across the lake just out of your view range and often not much cover by the water's edge to protect you.

Some sort of tropical 'sea' maps could be cool too. Like small intense island paradise maps where there is not much room for manoeuvre. I can see it now: three heavy gunners just firing into the jungle and some rockets launcher support. Shame no flame thrower attachment for the tank though...