V22 Experimental 7 Hotfix 2 Released!

This is an experimental build - to access it, please read the instructions / warnings in this thread.

We're planning a proper new build on Monday or Tuesday next week, but this hotfix should address some of the current issues in the game and also let us discover any new ones we're not currently aware of.

Please note I've separated some changes out from other (unfinished) work in the main dev branch so it may contain some crashes if that process hasn't quite worked.

I've started my balancing playthroughs of the game now. I've deliberately left it quite late so the final game is "fresh" for me, and I'm enjoying it a lot...even if the game is pretty damn hard at times on Veteran! I've fine-tuned a few things as a result of my experience.

BUGFIXES:

- Alien UFOs now appear correctly

- Vehicles no longer re-detect aliens every time they move on night missions

- Night mission graphics have been updated to work with the new LOS system, and to look more murky. They're pretty cool now!

- Units should no longer shoot their feet with a missed shot, so less of this.

CHANGES:

- Psionic power calculation is now a random roll up to alien psionic strength vs. a roll up to soldier current morale, unit stats rebalanced accordingly.

- Psionic powers are now affected by range (the defence roll gets +1 for each tile beyond the max range)

- Berserk now has a 70% chance to fire at empty tiles, rather than attacking a random nearby unit

- Weapon projectile speeds sped up

- Weapons will no longer reaction fire beyond their operational range

BALANCE:

- Morale regeneration per turn reduced significantly, but turned up after a unit panics etc

- Light Scout UFOs now have 6 aliens inside, with a greater spread of combat scripts.

- Scout UFOs now have 10 aliens, with some spawning in the rear compartment (currently trying to make them stay there!)

- Light Drones can no longer reaction fire

- Sebillians have had their Reactions dropped by 5 across the board

- Alien Plasma Pistol range increased from 10 to 12, dropped damage from 55 to 50

- Increased accuracy of Non-Combatants to match that of Guards

- Reduced suppression radius on rifle and machinegun bursts (to 1.5 and 2 respectively)

- Rocket damage no longer drops off towards the edges

- Aircraft repair / rearm times have been halved

- First wave of UFOs is always entirely Light Scouts

- Triple-fighter Air Superiority missions pushed back a little

Jeez, you guys have been busy!

Looking forward to seeing all the changes. The "murky" night missions sound intriguing, and increasing the number of aliens on scout/light scout missions is great (I've always done that thru ufocontents). Also two thumbs up if we can see the UFO hulls again, and not shoot at our feet (which seems to include shooting any soldiers crouching at our feet, too).

The psionic balances will be the most interesting and controversial, I'm sure. But my attention is really drawn to "aircraft refuel/repair rates have been doubled". I'm assuming this is meant as a mechanic to allow more alien vessels to penetrate your defenses and complete their missions (i.e. actually build bases and trigger terror sites)? If so this could be a simple solution to what some people saw as OP late-game human air supremacy, and should certainly ratchet up the pressure as you potentially can't respond to all the incoming contacts in time. Very interesting, can't wait to see how it plays out.

Thank for the update.

> - Berserk now has a 70% chance to fire at empty tiles, rather than attacking a random nearby unit

Berserk should make a soldier fire at an alien first, then at an empty title, then eventually at our own soldier.

Not really. Why would the aliens cast it on an enemy if it just makes the enemy shoot them anyway?

I'm assuming this is meant as a mechanic to allow more alien vessels to penetrate your defenses and complete their missions (i.e. actually build bases and trigger terror sites)? If so this could be a simple solution to what some people saw as OP late-game human air supremacy, and should certainly ratchet up the pressure as you potentially can't respond to all the incoming contacts in time. Very interesting, can't wait to see how it plays out.

It's actually the reverse - aircraft now rearm and repair in half the time. I found the autoresolve was a little too punishing under the previous setting.

Not really. Why would the aliens cast it on an enemy if it just makes the enemy shoot them anyway?

Maybe Berserk is the wrong name then. Being Berserk was considered desirable. "Most historians believe that berserkers worked themselves into a rage before battle, but some think that they might have consumed drugged foods." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker One might argue that only if the urge to fight was so strong that you couldn't hold it back even if you couldn't find an enemy you'd hurt your comrads.

It's actually the reverse - aircraft now rearm and repair in half the time. I found the autoresolve was a little too punishing under the previous setting.

Ok, I read "aircraft refuel/repair rates have been doubled" as meaning they would take twice as long, not half as long

Hmmm. I'm trying to get this from Steam right now, and can't do it. Keep getting a message "can't load image from file assets/launcher/play_button.png: file does not exist". Never had any problems with builds before. Is this something on Steam's end? Anybody else having difficulties?

Hmmm. I'm trying to get this from Steam right now, and can't do it. Keep getting a message "can't load image from file assets/launcher/play_button.png: file does not exist". Never had any problems with builds before. Is this something on Steam's end? Anybody else having difficulties?

Just downloaded fine for me.

Ok, I read "aircraft refuel/repair rates have been doubled" as meaning they would take twice as long, not half as long

Glad that was explained in more detail. When I read it I took it as meaning they would take twice as long to repair and refuel as well.

@Chris, maybe consider changing up the wording there so it's more apparent that it was cut in half and not "doubled". Just an idea.

Not to be the sour apple but I've just come upon that old notorious equipment screen CTD, first time in the last 3 or 4 builds, while attempting to go on to my first small scout mission. This was a new game with the e22.7 hf2, no saves at all. Just downed the scout with a condor, went in the base, clicked equipment, CTD. This is one tough non-reproducible, non-exterminatable damn phantom bug.

Maybe of note, before starting this fresh new game, I first loaded an old game, but then forgot this was a new build and quit it, erased saves, then started this new game where the bug came up 5 minutes in.

- Night mission graphics have been updated to work with the new LOS system, and to look more murky. They're pretty cool now!

- Weapon projectile speeds sped up

"They're prettly cool now" Seriously, they're great.

Edited by Caaygun

It seems that enemies are back to their teleporting shenanigans again. I made a post in the bug forums about it occurring with drones, but it seems that it is happening with others as well. I have had drones, sebillians, and androns teleport on me. Havent seen it occur with Caesans yet, but I haven't faced any.

Just downloaded fine for me.

Tried repeatedly and keep getting same message. Don't know what else to try but deleting my Steam folder completely and then re-downloading it. Question is, if I do that, will Steam recognize that I've already paid for Xenonauts (and multiple other games) or will I run into a giant headache?

This is just not my day. Leaf spring shackle on my truck broke and my coffee machine bit the dust (now there's a REAL tragedy)

Tried repeatedly and keep getting same message. Don't know what else to try but deleting my Steam folder completely and then re-downloading it. Question is, if I do that, will Steam recognize that I've already paid for Xenonauts (and multiple other games) or will I run into a giant headache?

This is just not my day. Leaf spring shackle on my truck broke and my coffee machine bit the dust (now there's a REAL tragedy)

You can delete and redownload things off Steam fine (or at least I've never had any trouble, both reinstalling things and having games on multiple machines). Although you shouldn't need to delete the steam folder entirely (unless you already tried just deleting and reinstalling the game and that didn't work).

Before you do, it might be worth trying to revalidate files if it will let you. It sounds like an image has accidentally been deleted or corrupted from your original post, so validating might fix it. Maybe.

EDIT: In terms of feedback, I've only played a couple of light scout missions so far but I'm liking the changes.

Edited by kabill

You can delete and redownload things off Steam fine (or at least I've never had any trouble, both reinstalling things and having games on multiple machines). Although you shouldn't need to delete the steam folder entirely (unless you already tried just deleting and reinstalling the game and that didn't work).

Before you do, it might be worth trying to revalidate files if it will let you. It sounds like an image has accidentally been deleted or corrupted from your original post, so validating might fix it. Maybe.

Validating the files worked. Thank you for the advice :)

Alien accuracy generally feels much higher than previously. I get the feeling that this is due to the line of fire bug being fixed, though, such that the shots are actually using the best path rather than pretending too. So, hopefully, if/when the line of fire calculation is inverted, it'll go back close to 'normal'.