Skitso's Farm map collection

Skitso

Wow, that was a quick reply! :D It's painfully obvious the farm tileset is the first one GH have made. It's nowhere near the quality of other tilesets. I hope they can do something about art consistency in the polish phase. (that might be a bit too much to ask though...) Anyways, drop some comments after you've tried these. I appreciate a fellow mappers thoughts. :)

I've noticed a bug on one of these maps. Not sure which one, but I keep getting a few bits of wall and a set of stairs in the middle of an otherwise empty field of grass (relatively close to the North-East edge). If I work out which one it is, I'll update accordingly.

Fairly certain it's a small scout or scout map.

EDIT: Here's a screenshot:

2014-03-25_00001.jpg

The Light Scout is just off screen at the top, while the dropship is just off screen at the bottom.

Looking at the level editor, I *think* it is the small farmhouse (small scout) map. Might be wrong, though.

EDIT 2: Yeah, looking at the pictures in your post above, I think that's where the farmhouse is supposed to be. I'd noticed this after the first install, but I've since installed your updated maps, if that helps at all.

2014-03-25_00001.jpg

2014-03-25_00001.thumb.jpg.d95d51789bd9b

Edited by kabill

Ah, now I get it! I've copied the tiles in wrong folder structure in the archive.

They should be in /tiles/farm/copied/ but i've put them in /tiles/copied/.

So you can move the /tiles/copied folder to /tiles/farm/. Then it should work. Or just redownload... I've updated the download too. Sorry about this! :)

Edited by Skitso

Ah, now I get it! I've copied the tiles in wrong folder structure in the archive.

They should be in /tiles/farm/copied/ but i've put them in /tiles/copied/.

So you can copy the /tiles/copied folder to /tiles/farm/. Then it should work. Or just redownload... I've updated the download too. Sorry about this! :)

Cool, thanks for working out the problem. And no need to apologise; thank you for making awesome maps!

Having a look at these now. Your farmhouse sub-map doesn't seem to have any walls or anything in the house. Is there an issue with it? I've discarded the farmhouse map for now because it's not a lot of use without the farmhouse itself.

Overall, I like the ideas behind these a lot. I think some of the buildings you've made are really cool, particularly with regards to the roof designs. I've changed the sub-maps I decided were good enough for the final game a bit, mostly to remove the ugly metal wall tiles (I may get Aaron to re-do them but they're not good enough to use in the game at the moment), but they're good.

You've also used the grass / corn tiles quite a bit, which we haven't used in the other maps because they don't display properly when a unit stands on them. But they look good enough on your maps that we'll get the ground combat coder to make a special type of grass tile that is destroyed when you walk over them. I think that'll allow us to add a bit more life to the other farm maps too.

I must admit I'm not entirely convinced by the layouts you've chosen, but I've reworked "outhouses" and "hayday" into official maps, and I'll see if there's scope to retrofit some of the older maps with some of the buildings you've done.

PS - I think you mean "irrigator" rather than "irritator" :)

haha yeah, irrigator! :D Great to hear you like the maps, I'm truly honored to have these included in the game! The farmhouse issue is discussed above and is easily fixed by moving a folder to a right place. Download is also updated to fix this.

Enlighten me about the problems in the map layouts so I'll learn to be a better mapper. :) I must admit I had lots of trouble with farm tileset as getting it to tile nicely was a lot tougher than in other tilesets.

Hope you like my middle eastern maps as well! I'll probably post my industrial map collection next week too.

Edited by Skitso

• 3 weeks later...

Updated the map collection to work with the new tile folder structure change in the latest patch.

Chris has managed to break few of the official Skitso maps in the game in the latest update, so downloading this helps in that problem too. All my map collections are made so you can overwrite everything in the game.

Edited by Skitso

• 3 weeks later...