Skitso's Desert map collection

Skitso

Nah, I'm trying them out. These are pretty sweet so far. More, please!

There's the odd minor (and I do mean minor) problem, but they're all easily fixed. Just from the first three I played:

desert_small_barrens_2_skitso: While UFOs/dropships delete any props they touch, they don't always get everything. For now at least, make sure that Shrikes don't sit on top of desert mesas, as the top layers will hover in mid-air. The below screenshot's the middle Shrike spawn from desert_small_barrens_2_skitso, although I've moved it a bit NE to emphasise the point.

14MxW92.png

desert_small_checkpoint_skitso, maybe desert_small_checkpoint_skitso_lightscout: there's blue pipes blocking one of the possible nissian LR huts. (There's three possible nissanLR submaps the game can choose, when you placed it you'll have gotten one without a door on the SW.) I saw the one below for sure, although there may be others.

gDWgOfG.png

Checkpoint, Small Petrolstation: aliens can spawn right next to civs. Personally, I don't like civs being doomed on turn 1. Don't be afraid to trim some alien spanws from inside the buildings.

Wow! Thanks for testing these, Stinky. I've play tested these myself over and over and never saw those. Thanks again, will fix! :)

In the near future I will release my middle east map pack too.

Edited by Skitso

I fixed the few problems Stinky found and also a few others. Download link updated to OP.

There seems to be a strange bug in the game where there are friendly AI unit(s) in the maps even if I havn't put any spawn points for them. Anyone else noticed this?

Do you mean on maps with the number of civs/friendlies set to zero? If those aren't set to zero, and if you don't define spawn points, then the game will place the civs/friendlies down on the map randomly. This is bad because they can appear in places they shouldn't, like boulders and hovering over water. At least, this is my experience.

If you have set civs/friendlies to zero, then I have no idea. I'll keep an eye out, though.

I think I had them set at default (-1) Could that be the reason?

I had also one Sebillian spawn and get stuck inside a barrel that was part of a larger submap... I thought that shouldn't happen?

Edited by Skitso

It can if you place the spawn point on the wrong square in the submap. There's no spawn protection, so if I put a spawn point on top of a prop, the game will allow it. There shouldn't be aliens getting stuck otherwise, though.

I wish there was a toggleable 1 tile grid. It's pretty easy to make a mistake right now when placing an alien inside a submap, even though I consistantly keep certain spots free. (Well, I find it easy to make a mistake, anyway.)

I've always overriden the default number of civs/AIs, so that could be to blame.

I could swear Chris (or someone) has said that there is a spawn protection inside submaps, but guess I remember wrong.

EDIT: ah, it was actually Aaron in the stickied mapping guidelines -thread so it shouldn't happen. But it did...?

Edited by Skitso

I could swear Chris (or someone) has said that there is a spawn protection inside submaps, but guess I remember wrong.

EDIT: ah, it was actually Aaron in the stickied mapping guidelines -thread so it shouldn't happen. But it did...?

Huh, you're right, he does say that. I've never brought it up before since I assumed they didn't want to spend time coding in spawn protection. Cool.

I'll test it out tomorrow, unless someone does it before me.

So I made a test map covered almost entirely with submaps full of crates, but I haven't been able to replicate your spawn bug so far. (5 loads at time of writing.) Each time the aliens have successfully spawned in a free square. I've looked for this purely through quickbattles, which shouldn't make a difference, but you never know.

Do you know if he actually spawned there? There have been bugs where an alien can run through/into things it shouldn't be able to. Hopefully it's that instead.

I'm pretty sure it spawned there as I found it on turn 2 but can't be sure. Also the map had an alien spawn point exactly there...

It was my desert petrol station map with corvette. Petrol station submap was the one without outside stairs on the SE wall. Sebillian spawned inside a barrel here:

9B8EJlF.jpg

I've already fixed the spawn position but if you haven't downloaded the map pack again, you should have the bugged version still. You could remove all other spawn points and try it?

Also, civilian or friendly AI spawns set at -1 will cause the game to spawn one. And if spawn points are not set, it will be random.

Edited by Skitso

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a look at these and I thought four of them were good enough to serve as a base for official maps -the non-light scout versions of the barrens, petrolstation, refinery (modified heavily) and checkpoint (modified heavily). Nice work!

However, a note for the future - you've not set up the files copied from other tilesets correctly, as you've just copy-pasted them. That means they're all still referencing the original images and won't display in the game once we do our compression. I'll sort them out here but you should bear it in mind in future!

(It's not too hard to fix given you've retained the file structure - it's basically a mass find and replace for /industrial/ or whatever, replacing with /desert/)

Thanks! Having my maps in the game feels absolutely sweet! Can I have my name in the credits too? :)

About setting up the copied files though... I'm a bit confused. What do I have to do to make them work properly in the final game? Do I need to alter the spectres in the submap editor or what? Could you give me a step by step instructions, please. :)

Please check my middle east and farm maps too. I've also got industrial maps in works as we speak.

Edited by Skitso

Congrats on your maps becoming offical, Skitso!

I think Chris means to copy the .pngs and spectres of the non-farm items into a folder in the farm tileset, and then edit the spectres so they use these copied .pngs.

I'm working on this for industrial at the moment, so my tiles\industrial\ looks like this:

vd52Sxr.png

Any assets I've used from base, common, and town tilesets are in there, along with their own .xmls. Here's the .xml of a vending machine I nicked from tiles\town\petrol\props:

<?xml version="1.0" ?><spectre id="industrial/Stinky industrial/Cantine/Vending1_SE" width="1" height="1" version="1">   <state id="damaged" name="" pivotX="64" pivotY="100" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="4" visibilityScore="0.000" bulletScore="0.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="120" wallType="tall" destructionSound="Metal Prop">       <image src="tiles/industrial/Stinky industrial/Cantine/Vending1_SE_damaged.png" />   </state>   <state id="default" name="" pivotX="64" pivotY="100" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="4" visibilityScore="0.000" bulletScore="0.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="120" wallType="tall" destructionSound="Metal Prop">       <image src="tiles/industrial/Stinky industrial/Cantine/Vending1_SE.png" />   </state>   <state id="destroyed" name="" pivotX="64" pivotY="100" pathScore="1" objectTypePreset="0" visibilityScore="1.000" bulletScore="1.000" orientation="0" sortPoint="0.500" hp="0" wallType="none">       <image src="tiles/industrial/Stinky industrial/Cantine/Vending_NW_destroyed.png" />   </state></spectre>

All I did here was edit the image src tag.

Another note: there are spectres in some tilesets that borrow their spriets from another tileset. Since you're making industrial maps, here's an example for you: those pillarwalls are taken from soviettown. You'll need to copy those .pngs over from soviettown and put them into a subfolder of industrial, and then make your spectre .xmls use the imported .pngs. You'll also need to import lamp posts, cars, bus stops, and some other stuff I'm probably forgetting.

I've done that with pillarwalls already. Do you want me to put up what I've got? I've only got one (LScout) indus map waiting to be tested with the Scout/Corv version on the way, but you can copy the pillarwall imports rather than do it yourself.

Edited by Ol' Stinky