Steam achievements....?

why not? they can all be stuff that you would get anyway ala: survive your first mission, do your first autopsy, kill the alien big boss etc. They don't need to be: kill 5 aliens barehanded with the same soldier while carrying an unconscious civilian out of a burning building. Though to be fair, if you manage to do that someone should give you a trophy... =p

I quite liked the mechanic of old games to alter the main splash screen in reward for completing a particularly vicious playthrough.

Steam achievements are admittedly something I use as potential signposts for parts of the game that the devs want to show off. It's not always applicable, but it's interesting.

I think Steam pretty much insists that games only/mainly distributed through Steam, especially indie titles, must have achievements. Not certain though, and I expect it will come up when Chris started talking to them.

There are plenty of games on Steam that don't have achievements, especially Indie games. Some of the games eventually do get them but I can mention games like Terraria, Peggle, Recettear, Mount&Blade (Warband and WFaS eventually got them, though) and Puzzle Quest. Hell, even games from bigger distributors don't necessarily have them, like GTA IV, ARMA 2, Company of Heroes, Freedom Force, Mirror's Edge and STALKER.

I don't think Steam demands that you put them in, as you could easily add them to any game ever made (it's usually just a counter of sorts, checking for completing X level, getting X items etc.) but it's just the natural thing to do, since the current generation seems to have a hard time living without them. I don't mind them, as some of them can be fun to achieve, but it's hardly a critical element.

Best bet is to have a competition after release sometime to design an achievement if people really seem to want them (and steam does get used of course).

Stops you having to bother with them and gives the community something to get excited about (their name on a real steam achievement).