To The Max! (Light scout maps our speciality)

Max_Caine

Following the path of such trailblazers as Flashman, Gauddlike, Stinky, zzz and Moxar, I thought I'd try my hand at map-making. Here's a little jem, a farm light scout map. It features a custom submap (farmhouse_damaged_7x7) which isn't actually damaged (the first iteration was but then I saw how strong alien weapons were and changed my mind). You'll need to put the custom submap in /farm/buildings/

here's the link for those interested.

The map focusses around a farmhouse situated in the center of the map. There are 2 two AI soliders (farmhands with shotguns) and one civvie, cowering in the farmhouse. Can you get there before the aliens turn them into goo?

Edited by Max_Caine

• 3 weeks later...

I actually just tested the map. I hate to be a negative nancy here, but the map is a bit empty and simple and some grass areas are riddled with tileing problems. The community really needs more map makers (where have everyone gone? Stinky?)to ramp up map numbers in the game, but the quality needs to be number one priority.

So I really hope you don't take this the wrong way, as you certainly now have the basic skills down. Just keep mapping and practise and put more thought and time in to it. I will gladly play and test your further maps too! :)

Edited by Skitso

I'm glad you said something, Skitso, because I think the main problem is with the grass tiles themselves. I'm extracting tiles to make sure it's not a problem on my end, so take the rest of this post with a pinch of salt. The borders on the 5x5/10x10 are pretty obvious, even when placed next to each other, and the road/grass borders seem a bit dodgy regardless of what I tried. I'll post again once I'm up to date.

Yeah, might be.. I've never mapped with farm tileset.

You wouldn't think it, but farm's probably one of the hardest to get right. Lots of fiddly bits. Fences, for example, don't come in one/three/end pieces, so you have to make your own. Those should really come by default, otherwise you get fences that don't end properly, through no fault of the mapper. If they don't come bundled with the game then mappers are going to have to mess with the submap editor to make a decent farm map, which is probably not the intention.

Edit: Here's some 1x1 walls and fences to save y'all a bit of time. Extract to your Xenonauts folder and if your unzipper preserves paths, it'll correctly extract the files to their proper homes in assets\maps\farm\walls. The downside is that you have to package these files alongside any maps that use them.

Hrm. Now that I've got the AMA out of the way, I can focus more on mapping. I didn't see tiling problems when I ran it through quickbattle. Could someone point out where they were?

I didn't want to commit to a review because I wasn't sure it was a problem on my end, but I've had time to re-extract the tiles.

First of all, I think it plays well, although I think the hedge exit on the east should be wider to accomodate a vehicle. I wonder if you could place more dropship/light scout spawns. Maybe dropships could be in the hayfield in the NW and another UFO spawn spot in the SW corner?

The rest of this stuff is about cosmetic quibbles.

5x5 and 10x10 farm grass tiles have a bunch of submaps in there, but not all of these mesh with each other. Here's an example of the random submaps causing issues:

laQ4jom.png

Until that changes, I'd use the 20x20 field grass. Re-doing the ground and mucking about with overlapping/underlapping is a lot to ask, so I thought it'd be polite to go ahead and provide an edited version of your map. It's in the spoiler. Once I did that, it seemed rude to not include the other stuff in this post, too, so it's all in there.

<?xml version="1.0" ?><levelmap defaultSpectre="" width="50" height="50" numberOfCivilians="1" numberOfFriendlyAI="2">   <layer name="main" type="building">       <submap name="farmhouse" left="22" top="18" width="7" height="7" />   </layer>   <layer name="main" type="props">       <submap name="tree_fallen_UD" left="37" top="23" width="1" height="3" />       <submap name="tree_stump_cover" left="37" top="27" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="rock_cover" left="34" top="22" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="rock_cover" left="35" top="27" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="tractor_left" left="27" top="26" width="3" height="2" />       <submap name="rock_cover" left="14" top="31" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_LR" left="31" top="36" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_LR" left="31" top="37" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_LR" left="31" top="38" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="36" top="36" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="36" top="37" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="35" top="37" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_tall_UD" left="34" top="12" width="1" height="2" />       <submap name="haybales_tall_UD" left="35" top="18" width="1" height="2" />       <submap name="haybales_tall_LR" left="34" top="16" width="2" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_tall_LR" left="31" top="14" width="2" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_tall_LR" left="31" top="18" width="2" height="1" />       <submap name="rock_cover" left="19" top="27" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="rock_cover" left="31" top="23" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="22" top="28" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="22" top="29" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="23" top="29" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="36" top="33" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="35" top="34" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="35" top="33" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="35" top="31" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="34" top="31" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="33" top="31" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="33" top="36" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="33" top="35" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="33" top="34" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="31" top="32" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="31" top="33" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="haybales_wrapped_UD" left="31" top="31" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="rock_cover" left="17" top="25" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="rock_cover" left="17" top="29" width="1" height="1" />       <submap name="rock_cover" left="14" top="26" width="1" height="1" />   </layer>   <layer name="main" type="walls">       <submap name="hedgerowLR4_endR" left="10" top="20" width="4" height="2" />       <submap name="hedgerowLR4_endL" left="2" top="20" width="4" height="2" />       <submap name="hedgerowUD4_endT" left="20" top="2" width="2" height="4" />       <submap name="hedgerowUD4_endB" left="20" top="10" width="2" height="4" />       <submap name="hedgerowLR2" left="0" top="20" width="2" height="2" />       <submap name="hedgerow_corner_BR" left="20" top="20" width="2" height="2" />       <submap name="hedgerowLR2" left="18" top="20" width="2" height="2" />       <submap name="hedgerowLR2" left="16" top="20" width="2" height="2" />       <submap name="hedgerowLR2" left="14" top="20" width="2" height="2" />       <submap name="hedgerowUD2" left="20" top="16" width="2" height="2" />       <submap name="hedgerowUD2" left="20" top="18" width="2" height="2" />       <submap name="hedgerowUD2" left="20" top="0" width="2" height="2" />       <submap name="hedgerowUD2" left="20" top="14" width="2" height="2" />       <submap name="fence_T5" left="45" top="44" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5" left="40" top="44" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5" left="35" top="44" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5" left="30" top="44" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5" left="25" top="44" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5" left="20" top="44" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5" left="15" top="44" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5" left="10" top="44" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5" left="5" top="44" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5_endR" left="0" top="44" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5_endR" left="21" top="41" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_L5_endT" left="26" top="31" width="1" height="5" />       <submap name="fence_T5_endR" left="18" top="41" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5_endR" left="14" top="41" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_L5_endT" left="26" top="36" width="1" height="5" />       <submap name="fence_L5_endT" left="20" top="36" width="1" height="5" />       <submap name="fence_T10_gap" left="5" top="41" width="10" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5_endR" left="0" top="41" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5_endR" left="34" top="41" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5_endR" left="29" top="41" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_L5" left="29" top="31" width="1" height="5" />       <submap name="fence_L5" left="29" top="36" width="1" height="5" />       <submap name="fence_L10_gap" left="30" top="5" width="1" height="10" />       <submap name="fence_L5_endT" left="30" top="15" width="1" height="5" />       <submap name="fence_T10_gap" left="35" top="20" width="10" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5_endR" left="30" top="20" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_T5_endR" left="45" top="20" width="5" height="1" />       <submap name="fence_L5_endT" left="30" top="0" width="1" height="5" />       <submap name="fence_L5_endT" left="20" top="22" width="1" height="5" />       <submap name="fence_L10_gap" left="20" top="27" width="1" height="10" />   </layer>   <layer name="main" type="ground">       <submap name="field_hay_20x20" left="30" top="0" width="20" height="20" />       <submap name="fieldent_bottom" left="26" top="28" width="3" height="2" />       <submap name="road_UD5" left="25" top="30" width="5" height="5" />       <submap name="road_UD5" left="25" top="35" width="5" height="5" />       <submap name="field_grass_20x20" left="10" top="20" width="20" height="20" />       <submap name="field_grass_20x20" left="-10" top="20" width="20" height="20" />       <submap name="field_grass_20x20" left="-10" top="45" width="20" height="20" />       <submap name="field_grass_20x20" left="10" top="45" width="20" height="20" />       <submap name="field_grass_20x20" left="30" top="45" width="20" height="20" />       <submap name="field_grass_20x20" left="30" top="20" width="20" height="20" />       <submap name="field_carrot_20x20" left="0" top="0" width="20" height="20" />       <submap name="field_grass_20x20" left="10" top="0" width="20" height="20" />       <submap name="road_LR5" left="20" top="40" width="5" height="5" />       <submap name="road_LR5" left="45" top="40" width="5" height="5" />       <submap name="road_LR5" left="40" top="40" width="5" height="5" />       <submap name="road_LR5" left="35" top="40" width="5" height="5" />       <submap name="road_LR5" left="30" top="40" width="5" height="5" />       <submap name="road_t_LR_T" left="25" top="40" width="5" height="5" />       <submap name="road_LR5" left="15" top="40" width="5" height="5" />       <submap name="road_LR5" left="10" top="40" width="5" height="5" />       <submap name="road_LR5" left="5" top="40" width="5" height="5" />       <submap name="road_LR5" left="0" top="40" width="5" height="5" />   </layer>   <layer name="airplane.human.chinook" orientation="SW">       <submap name="human.chinook" left="3" top="2" width="14" height="7" />   </layer>   <layer name="airplane.human.shrike" orientation="SW">       <submap name="human.shrike" left="2" top="1" width="12" height="12" />   </layer>   <layer name="airplane.human.valkyrie" orientation="SW">       <submap name="human.valkyrie" left="3" top="2" width="10" height="10" />   </layer>   <layer name="airplane.alien.lightscout" status="landed">       <submap name="alien.lightscout" left="39" top="28" width="8" height="14" />   </layer>   <layer name="airplane.alien.lightscout" status="crashed">       <submap name="alien.lightscout" left="39" top="28" width="8" height="14" />   </layer>   <SpawnPoints>       <Tile x="27" y="19" friendlyAI="1" />       <Tile x="23" y="21" civilian="1" />       <Tile x="24" y="22" friendlyAI="1" />       <Tile x="42" y="25" alien="1" />       <Tile x="36" y="31" alien="1" />       <Tile x="28" y="37" alien="1" />   </SpawnPoints></levelmap>

You can have prettier hedges by using the hedgerow end pieces (they have names like "hedgerowLR4_endL"), like below.

EAkrMbQ.png

I also wasn't keen on the concrete bit in the middle, near the building. I don't like the way the concrete hits the road, really, so I scrapped the concrete and replaced it with yet more grass: the roads have a grass end submap, so it looks more natural.

Before, although the tractor's turned invisible for some reason:

lKq0cUE.png

After:

CJbbpfk.jpg

You can see that the ploughed field's also been replaced with grass. Having rocks in a ploughed field seemed odd to me.

I'll finish by saying that it's a hell of a lot better than my first farm map, and I hope you make some more!

Edited by Ol' Stinky

Cheers for the guidance. I have a farm petrol station waiting transfer of all the appropriate assets to the farm subdirectory so it's self-contained. I really should go and do the grunt work neceessary to get the map dependant only on farm assets.

Much better than my first half dozen attempts, and in your first go as well.

I really think I should get back into making some maps now the editor has been stable for a while.

I have never used the newest incarnation in a serious way so I don't expect it will go too well :P

Quick question, does anyone else build their maps with the preview window open?

I like watching it update in real time as you add things.

It can also be useful to check things like building variations so your props don't cover doors and so on, just place the item then delete it and replace a few times.

Shows how long ago it was that I last used the level builder, I don't think it had the preview back then...

Best part is my PC is sat in the living room alongside my wifes, which also has two monitors.

I just need to get around to building a desk so that they are all on the same level, looks a bit odd atm as they are on two different levels.

Would look like we were starting a video wall then :P