Aliens inside ships opening the door to attack...

squigoth

I want to add that I do not think the AI cheats in any manner outside of those it admits to. The AI ignores night mission sight decreases, the AI(like the player) has perfect coordination on its view fields. Pretty sure the AI updates its movement paths based on new things being uncovered as it happens, and possibly some of the AI units have further sight ranges.(pretty sure some of them do)

But I dont think it magically knows the location of your troops or what you are up to. I had cases of flanking aliens with a sniper from half the map being totally reasonable and they not expecting it, sometimes I run into an alien caught totally in the open because he didnt see me before. Sometimes you seem to be able to sneak up to aliens.(if anything, they might have magic 360 view, but it is hard to tell exactly what their view cone is)

I haven't caught the AI cheating like that lately. It was a known issue that was patched a while back. I think the sound range might still be active though, so if you get to certain distance they can "hear" you and act accordingly. You have to be pretty close though.

But I dont think it magically knows the location of your troops or what you are up to

It certainly knows the location of your troops when psionic attacks can be launched from ANY distance with NO visual contact whatsoever. This leads me to believe that the AI does, at least under certain conditions, know where your soldiers are

The psionics were enabled as a global within-range for some abilities. (Dread / Fear I think; MC is still LOS)

As for the rest, it's not cheating. However, distance will trigger some aggressiveness. So what might be happening is that either there are some LOS bugs in the UFO, or the distance just triggers the aggressiveness which makes them more likely to pop out.

They will not know where your units are located though.

Sapare mostly described the correct behavior; if it was cheating then you wouldn't be able to catch it out in the open either..

I've always handwaved them rushing the door when I'm right on it as they hear me/see me with sensors on the ship. The vessels do still work, so why not?

Regardless, anything that makes the initial doors more dangerous has been nice. I've been a big fan of the alternative hull layouts, corvettes have been real fun.

I've had the aliens stick their heads out the door at stupid moments far more than at opportune ones. I think you just tend to remember the time the alien stuck his head out the door and killed the 6 guys in the open more than the time he stuck his head out the door only to have it removed ;)

I've had the aliens stick their heads out the door at stupid moments far more than at opportune ones. I think you just tend to remember the time the alien stuck his head out the door and killed the 6 guys in the open more than the time he stuck his head out the door only to have it removed ;)
Yeah, usually it's like they decided to see what the firing squad looks like.

And you were actually quite lucky. ^^

Which difficulty are you playing? As you can see the damage numbers are popping up it's not insane. On insane you probably would have lost two guys even before the grenade was thrown. ^^

You also were quite suicidal with the gas grenade. The chances were extremely high to disable at least one of your own troops, with some bad luck even two guys.

I guess what I would have done is to stay back in the building you were with the one soldier and shoot open the two doors which were in LOS from there. This probably would have killed half of the enemies without a big risk. Then move in with 2 or 3 troops (1 shield guy + 1 shotgun guy) and keep 2 or 3 at a little distance. Spot the remaining enemy, and depending on their position, either rush in or repeat until the positions are better to rush in.

Its not a loss, its an unplanned eternal vacation.

I believe gas grenades still "Disperse" Through doors though so if your worried about opening to direct contact, you could gas the door and knock them out. At least thats how I cheesed my way through a base assault on V21 I belive.

FWIW, I've seen aliens on the second floor (twice, once a seb and once a caesan) and I've had an alien pop out the front door to shoot me once. I'd agree that it's pretty rare though--generally sitting in front of the outer door is pretty safe.

They run around inside quite a bit, though--sometimes I'll put a couple high-reaction soldiers with shotguns just inside the doorway of a corvette and sit there killing everything that moves by. Often get 2-3 that way.

Edited by crusherven

Last night I had an alien pop out the door, chuck a grenade, blew up half my men, blew up the door, exposing my survivors to a torrent of rapid gunfire from his 6mates who could now see me due to the lack of door. This was followed by 2 more teleporting next to me to make a bad day lol

Yea, they can cause alot of damage when they do something smart. My old breach technique was basically envelope the door in a V shape, so as to allow everyone to fire on any exposed targets.

Now everyone stacks away from the door, except the MG, sniper, and the two most accurate riflemen I have, who stand behind those two, who stand a fair bit away from the door. Seriously reduces casualties from a door rush, and the only risk is the MG can accidentally suppress the troops nearest the door if he misses too much.

I've had peek-a-boos before. One of those Mind Control guys popped out, MC'ed my soldier named after me (#22 in case you're wondering :P). Worst part was that that soldier of mine had 100 TU, 90~ Accuracy, and 90~ Strength. Had a lot of HP too (I built this guy up to be a super soldier).

He was carrying a MAG Rifle with Sentinel Armour (one of the few guys who had it) and he slaughtered 2 guys. Everything went to hell at that point. One of my guys with the shotgun MAG went berserk (while near 2 other guys) and killed one. 3 guys panicked and ran. Fuuuuun times. :P