New Research screen UI for comment

Chris

I just hope the button will be greyed out if he doesn't have anything to say. I'd rather not have him repeat some standard phrase 20.000.000 times.

That would imply that after you have clicked the button 19,999,999 times you will still be thinking "Hey I'll press it again just in case he says something different this time!" :P

Well I would ofc not expect it to change afte clicking it 5 times in a row... (some silly gmes has that function that they say the same thing a few times but if you click enough they change) But i would be clicking it 5 times after each alien ive killed, after each research completed, after each new item manufactured, after each scientist hired (maybe he will talk smack about the new "free thinkers" you got on the payroll, or the young wippersnapeprs that think they are something)

It would just feel better if the button was greyed out or at least worked like a mail inbox (incase you want to review old "smalltalk") for an obsessive compulsive completionist and lore freak such as myself :D

Unless after the 19,999,999 time he just gave you advice on where you could buy a new mouse as the one you were using would probably be a bit the worse for wear.

I agree though that you should be able to look back over previous topics while new ones were easily accessible.

That does depend on how small the talk is.

If he mentioned several weeks ago that his cousin just got married, or that his goldfish had died, then there would be no real reason to look back through it.

If that is the case then greying it out would be better.

I think Chris mentioned that in an unforgivable oversight, that the base layout didn't have toilets in it. So, clearly this was the project leads fault and nothing to do with our own degraded mental states... not that we have any degraded mental states... and if we had I'm sure they would be doing just fine thanks for asking.

Yup, I don't think anyone noticed anything amiss as I eased my way out of Toilet Tentacle Horror . Nice and smooth...

No really, it was in a film. I'm sure it was. Someone is sitting on the John and well.. you can imagine the rest... The Blob remake? CHUD?

There's sort of something like this in Dreamcatcher...

I think a lot of people had trouble staying in any kind of seat for a while after that :)

If you read the book it'll sh*t you up even more. And also make you rage at the film for how far away from the book it goes.

To get on topic and a fwiw, I still think Small Talk should go. Mostly because if you keep it, I'll be expecting one on every page of the UI where you seemingly interact with a person, and I'd also would think it's a waste of time to write the dozens of lines of text in order to not make it a really hollow feature.

Edited by Buzzles

Keeping on Stephen King books...yet oddly still not on topic...

I seem to remember liking the shining movie more than the book. The ending of IT didn't have the space turtle in it... the ending of the Stand took less time to be annoyed at than the umpteen hundred pages of leading me up to the cliff that the book gave me. Actually, all of these are endings. If you took the ending to any movie and tagged it onto a King book there's every chance it would be an improvement.

...on topic... look ma!

I'm not a big fan of small talk. The caveat being that I've not seen it, or interacted with it and these things make this little more than a whine. I preferred the desolate original art where people were either too busy worrying about their loved ones, were too buy trying to save the planet or simply just too depressed and gum to talk to you at all.

I like the small talk as long as it fits with the mood of the game.

You get to the lab, and the still is of the guy in the lab coat is running hysterically away from you, throwing his notes in the air.

You get the feeling things may not be working out. :)

There was a huge Stand TV thingy that had Rob Lowe (easing his way back into film following some incidents) and Molly Ringwald (facing the horrible Stand like end of '80s teen movies)

um... nothing really Stands (sorry) out. It was OK I guess. It's a big ask to get the horrible issues of humanity's extinction into a TV movie. it's easy for the book to describe New York streets choking with bodies, but they all want make up and coffee in the TV version. Extras! Bah!

As I mentioned a certain event late on wasn't very good in the TV version, but didn't outrage me the way the book had. I was so disappointed in that. Mainly because of how really good the build up had been.

How can I stay on topic, if you don't give me anyting to work on here...

Since the guy in the lab reminds me of the guy from Independence Day - could we get a still where one of the aliens has escaped from containment. 'A little busy here commander!' or 'Mmmmfffff' as he's cocooned or 'Brains' as he turns into a Reaper zombie.

It looks good, but i don't know about the style of the room selection on the left.

If you aren't planning to completely change the tone of the geoscape it would seem out of place i think.

Why? the Geospace IS A monitor/screen you are looking at, while research/engineering IS talking to the head guy there.

Nothing out of place there..

Honestly, you ppl are sometimes complaining about the most inane of things.

• 2 months later...