Medal Types?

Chris

Mace: I'm not sure its possible to do "service in x/y/z continent" medals, at least not without major recoding that simply isn't worth the trouble.

Some might say that medals are not worth the trouble in the first place, dismissing an idea because it might be too much work is not a good principle to adopt. Lets not forget that this is something that is been developed to make a diverse and fun game.

True, but If the team has to recode the whole geoscape to implement this medal. Would it be worth it? or would you rather have some other easier to implement medals?

Personally that kind of medal doesn't even give me anything to begin with. A UFO is hardly campaign and why would it matter within which boarders it was shot down? (Btw do you mean nation when you say continent? Africa is a continent, Europe is a continent, while Germany or France is a country or nation.)

I fear that you would either not get any such medals at all or they would be cluttering the medal interface. But I don't really care either way. AS I said it doesn't bring anything to the game for me... just seems like an overwhelming hassle to code. (unless Chris says my assumptions are plain wrong and its the easiest thing in the world to do)

Thank you for explaining continents to me, having lived in them all it is reassuring to know that they have different names.

Clearly awarding a medal for each country would be stupid, there are a lot of little countrys scattered all over this plannet.

It goes without saying that if the game was to be 're-coded' then that would not be viable. Only a moron would expect them to do that. I call that a given. If it is too much work for no gain then it should not be implemented and I for one would only put ideas forward with the caveat that it is realistic and possible, clearly if it was not possible then it should be discounted and not debated.

raziel1981: I believe there was on the table at some point for some of the medals to have a slight bravery bonus to them. No idea if that is still the idea though. Basically any bonus from them would be negligible and they would be esthetic only.:)

mace6442: I'm sorry about the continent thingy.:o I got confused by:

The key is that this is in Europe, there are a lot of continents and a Solider could complete missions in each contnent and get the acculimated campaing medal.

I have no idea what you mean by this if it's not supposed to be countries instead of continents in that sentence. :confused: Would you mind clearing this up for me :)

Edited by Gorlom

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't both looking at this whole thread. People were really upset in pages 2-4. I just hope that these medals are like mini achievements that allow replayability. Like a medal for sending one single soldier into an attack, or for getting X kills with each weapon, or for healing troops, or killing too many civilians. Special things that would be cool, or not, to commemorate.

I didn't both looking at this whole thread. People were really upset in pages 2-4. I just hope that these medals are like mini achievements that allow replayability. Like a medal for sending one single soldier into an attack, or for getting X kills with each weapon, or for healing troops, or killing too many civilians. Special things that would be cool, or not, to commemorate.

You mean Steam-style achievements. Unfortunately (from your point of view), the medals in this game aren't that. They're awards for individual soldiers who do noteworthy things, rather than the player themselves.

There's still hope for you, though. Once the game gets on Steam, it's possible that Steam achievements will be created for it. Unless I missed a post somewhere that says the developer doesn't want to do that...

• 1 month later...

[v14.1] Did Chris ever end up listing current in game medal implementation? Because I am a little confused; two medals below, both with the same 'criteria'.

So not sure if I already had one, then got the next from another mission, or if its a bug (with two different medals sharing the same 'goal', and I've ended up with two different medals from the same mission?

Gallantry.jpg

MilitaryCross.jpg

Hmm reading that closely, one is for 'alien combatants', the other is for 'extraterrestrial units' which I guess means both combatants and non-combatants. So I guess I've gotten both from the same mission..

Gallantry.jpg

MilitaryCross.jpg

Gallantry.jpg.3b93455beb5ac1eae43c7cebe3

MilitaryCross.jpg.025ccdc9bda3f568b093e1

Edited by gnarly

[v14.1]

So not sure if I already had one, then got the next from another mission, or if its a bug (with two different medals sharing the same 'goal', and I've ended up with two different medals from the same mission?

The Military Cross is awarded when a soldier kills 5 aliens on a single mission, while the Order of Gallantry is awarded when soldier kills a total of 5 aliens, summing them from mission to mission.

Sometimes it could happen that a soldier gets both at the end of a single combat! :)

The Military Cross is awarded when a soldier kills 5 aliens on a single mission, while the Order of Gallantry is awarded when soldier kills a total of 5 aliens, summing them from mission to mission.

Sometimes it could happen that a soldier gets both at the end of a single combat! :)

LOL, teach me not to read the fine print, cheers, it does say 'combat' vs. 'single operation', just didn't register!

PS love the medals, they add some nice flavour to it!

• 2 months later...

How about the poor medics, all this talk about purple hearts, what about the guy who patches em up? Lol

Field Medic ribbon- Healing 3 separate wounds

Field Surgeon ribbon- Attending a critically wounded Xenonaut

*A well named medal*- Multiple healing of severe casualties and uses of the medikit.

It would be nice to have medals for the pilots if medals are instituted, as I have lost so many more pilots than squad members already, poor little guys. (It took me a while to realize you could send out multiple interceptors, d'oh)

For that matter it would be nice to see a pilot sitting in the chinook! Or have one of the squad members start in the pilot seat. (Off topic)

We should have an option to promote operatives ourselves. this way we can decide who gets a pay raise and who wont. the game can give its recommendation but mainly give me more power!! i want to promote operatives myself :) and when you push a high ranked operative up the rest go up by themselves or at least take you to a screen to checkmark them and give them your blessing.

If its time to give an operative a medal that can happen automatically but i see the stats so i decide who or leader. this will give me more time to spend in the geoscape for base managements.

What about the idea of ​​making the common medals and special medals for the regions? (2-3 medals in the region will be enough)

also with ribbon (you have to make a separate window for each soldier medals)

+ ribbons to protect the city (not just the part, and the murder at least one alien per mission and 2-3 of these missions)

also best to get a medal is very difficult to get

for example, to get medal of honore, need to clear mission with 5-7 aliens by using only 1 soldier(1 soldier in chopper)

Medals shouldn't give a strong bonus, because stats rise quite quickly, especially if you do not quickly cleaned mission

I like the idea of medals for replayability. Some sort of challenge mode. Battlefield had medals that were sort of endurance mode, where you would need like 1000 hours in a jet to get the highest medal. It seems lik

When this topic first game up, I brought up the game Tactics Ogre and their emblems (http://www.tacticsogre.com/emblems.htm). Some medals help mold units into their classes, so a sniper emblem could increase accuracy at the cost of another stat, like hp.

Assuming this game is on Steam, it will almost certainly end up having the achievements one crowd seems to want, ie, kill X aliens with a single grenade. For that reason, I'm more in favor of keeping medals somewhat vague for some types and generally realistic. Others have made their suggestions, but along the same lines:

Global Defense Ribbon: Survive X months while going on at least one mission per month, or X missions.

European/African/Continental Campaign ribbon: Serve X months on Y continent.

Arctic/Mountain/Desert Service Badge: Go on X missions in Y terrain.

Xenonauts Combat Ribbon: Kill X aliens.

For the more "my soldier did something awesome" medals, I would actually be in favor of a bit of randomness. For example, we could have the Distinguished Service Medal, Order of Gallantry, and Cross of St George (or whatever) in ascending order. To get one, you need to kill 3 aliens in one mission. The odds of actually getting a medal start very small, say 15%, 10%, 5%. Then they go up 20% in certain circumstances: while wounded (decorations for unwounded soldiers are slim pickings), after also using a medikit, if you pick up a weapon off the ground, if you're the first into a UFO and kill an alien inside. Every additional alien killed is +5%.

Anyone who has served knows that sometimes someone who did nothing but their job gets decorated, while another who went above and beyond does not. I don't think a medal has to be something that you automatically get in certain circumstances. Yeah, you'll get a few automatically, and after a certain time in service you're more-or-less guaranteed 4-6, but the actual medals for valor should be rarely acquired.