Compilation of ideas for adjustments

Ok after playing the game for a bit I have come up with a few ideas for adjustments to the game for the sake of game balance, an interest in a slight shift towards realism, and better a more satisfying game experience.

For ease of reading I have divided these up into sections with a bullet points style.

<**Geo-scape Changes**>

-Additional Options besides putting down a new base- there are basically two different options I would like to discuss

1) Incremental base development: this idea is simply a modified version of the current base deployment system and can be accomplished one of two ways. This can be done by allowing the creation of outpost which has a single or partial function of a base which can then be upgraded in one or two steps into a full on base. A couple of examples for this;

*Listening station*(listens to local com traffic searching for alien sightings and displays an icon showing last known position and heading)

*Coordination Station* (all the functions of a listening station but also tries to coordinate with local forces to minimize alien impact. Basically increases chance of local forces downing a UFO in their area of influence and also provides very minor stabilizing effect to relations with nations in its effective range)

*Observation Station* (provides radar function and the coordination station effects as well) when Upgraded into a full on base the base will come with a prebuilt Radar array.

2) Awareness supplementation: this is different ways to supplement your radar ranges of existing bases

*Deployable Radar units (smaller cheap radar stations which can be deployed/built on the map to supplement radar from bases)

*Observation stations (see Above)

*Mobile radar support (think AWACS which was already in existence during the games timeline)

<**Base Components**>

Here are some recommended changes/additions to current Base structures

*Hanger & Runway* Convert the current hanger into a “runway” and add a 1x1 Hanger structure. The hanger functions similar to the garage only it stores aircraft the runways instead dictate the number of aircraft which can be launched immediately. Here is an example; say you have enough hangers for 7 aircraft and only 3 runways. When you detect a UFO and select intercept the list comes up showing all of your aircraft. Those aircraft you have assigned to your various runways show a “ready” in the status while those not assigned to the runways show “Delay 30M” so when you select one of these delayed status aircraft for launch they will wait the allotted time on the games time progression before launching on their mission. Or you could simply make it so only those craft that are assigned to the runways can be launched. The whole point is to have the ability to build a reserve of aircraft so when you say want to build a mid-late game aircraft you do not have to scrap one of your existing fighters to make room to build it. Likewise if you lose an aircraft if you have either saved your older aircraft or built spares you can immediately place a reserve craft into service while waiting for a replacement to be built

*Modular Work Space* Similar in many ways to Lab and workshops except its more expensive and the 15 space that it makes available can be used for either research or workshop projects so for example you have one of these facilities instead of a Lab and workshop and you have 10 researchers and 10 techs if you assign all 10 researchers to a project then if you tried to start a workshop project you would only have room for 5 of your techs on that project. If that is not workable in the current configuration of the game than simply have the Modular Work Space building adds 7 researcher and 7 workshop space.

<**Weapons and Equipment**>

*Weapon Refinement* this is simply an escalating refinement of older technology such as weapons etc. with either better replacements or reducing manufacturing costs/materials Most of this can be accomplished through mods I am currently working on.

*Trauma Kits/Save Downed team members/civilians/local forces* for details see the Medkit thread

*Enhanced Night Fighting tools for ground Combat* see Nightvision thread for details

<**Map Editor Redesign**>

This tool needs some work, additional assets, and either a friendly guide or tutorial. The biggest issue being that there seems to be no easy way to build and define multi-floor maps. Someone had talked about the lack of true urban maps so I had this great idea of building one. One where the landing zone was the roof of a multi-floor building and the UFO would be crashed into one of the upper floors of another building. This of course seems to be impossible either that or I need someone who understands it better than I to give me a tutorial.

Speak discuss tell me your opinions on all this?

Edited by Sathra

Incremental base development - You build up your bases normally as a radar hub and then flesh it out to have hangers and then generally specify it to be a Research or Construction Base if needed.

Adding in most of what you suggest can already be accomplished, and it can be a challenege to defend your "Hub Starter Bases" as it is, as you need Soldiers to protect them, and Missile/Laser/Plasma Batteries...

I dont know how we'd be expected to protect them, or if they would be cheap disposable bases...but I'd rather spend my money and time on something with more promised return on investment.

*Mobile radar support (think AWACS which was already in existence during the games timeline) - Wouldnt they get shot down?

Also if you cant send your planes to Intercept the Aliens due to fuel, why does it matter if you can see behind the curtain as you cant do anything about it?

<**Base Components**> - I think the current hanger system is fine, you just need to plan ahead or send a plane to another base so you have room to construct a new one. This is a lot of extra Dev work to save you from not planning ahead and maybe not having to throw away a Condor.

Being able to make a make shift Lab/Factory is interesting, but I think the player should have to make a larger commitment ($$$ and time) And also I'd find it a waste to ultimately destroy these so I can build the real ones later.

*Weapon Refinement* - If you could make upgrades for your weapons to give life to older tech, I think there might be something there, but would you rather have a new shiny gun or a tweeked out older one? This is something that will have to be fleshed out more once the Devs decide if they want the weapons to be direct upgrades or not.

*Trauma Kits/Save Downed team members/civilians/local forces* for details see the Medkit thread

^

If Aliens use stun weapons eventually this would be nice, if so you could just expand medkits as a direct upgrade to accomplish this. Two different types of medkits may be too much. And making soldiers go unconscious vs dead is something XCOM did, and it was ok for XCOM because everything was more dangerous, this game isnt 80% chance of a 1 Hit KO, so you'd have to ramp up difficulty to make this worth while. (Or risk making the game easier)

*Enhanced Night Fighting tools for ground Combat* see Nightvision thread for details

Other than tweaking flares some I am VERY against making Night Fighting any easier. Night fighting has to be hard, and if you can compensate this difficulty you might as well just take it out of the game as it becomes pointless.

(And honestly Night Fighting isnt THAT hard, just requires you to play smarter and more careful)

Sorry if I come off sounding overly negative, but thanks for sharing your ideas.