Sell Corsairs to me

Alright, so I've skipped corsairs on every single playthrough I've done. I finally looked at the pricetag this playthrough due to the rather rough aircombat... and saw 300k. So, for the people who have used them, what does this 300k get me in combat that I can't do with (oh god I wince whenever I have to say "Condor" SQUAAAWK) a Condor?

Intercept that faster than my Condor UFO?

Turn faster than fighters so I can get behind them and take them out without damage?

Roll more often?

The increased HP isn't really a selling point, since condors don't generally die to having too few HP, that's all the Foxtrot's domain, and it sounds like the repair time is terribly done.

I'm close to getting corsairs in Sartha's little mod which has made changes to the economy and the build times of foxtrots and corsairs. With 15 technicians I can make a foxtrot in some 2-3 days vs 20 days. xD

Also I seem to be floating 2mil on my 3rd month. =\

Not sure if I need a 3rd base or if i'm gunna be burning through that soon enough.

Yeah, gotta sell it in vanilla, no easy modes!

That's why the extent of my modifications has simply been the community map pack (CMP2).

I've actually not gotten far in any play through, really, so I'd like to know about the later (after foxtrot) planes as well. Strengths and weaknesses, etc.

You can totally skip the corsair for now. There's nothing you cant do with it you can't do with a Mig. Also, the corsair will be totally obsolete when you get Marauders, but the Mig can still remain in service till the end.

The alien fighter/Corsair/Mig relationship needs to be changed dramatically, if corsairs are to ever have a role.

Well the only selling point I can make for the corsair is that they take less time to build then marauders

I mean the jump in construction time is insane. 10 techs can produce a foxtrot in 3 days, yet with 30 techs you can only produce a corsair in 15 days and a marauder in a month (30 days) on top of that the payouts for the ground missions are so low that even if you are scrimping and saving you will be lucky to afford such a luxury craft

For anyone interested, here's how you change refuelling and repairing times:

1) Open gameconfig.xml.

2) find this:

<!-- AIRCRAFT REFUEL / REARM RATES --> <refuelRate value="70" comment="The refueling rate for aircraft in KM/MINUTES." /> <repairRate value="0.02" comment="The repairing rate for aircraft in HP/MINUTES." />

3) Change values accordingly. (The ones above are already changed, since I've fiddled with this file a little and can't remember the original values.)

Well the only selling point I can make for the corsair is that they take less time to build then marauders

I mean the jump in construction time is insane. 10 techs can produce a foxtrot in 3 days, yet with 30 techs you can only produce a corsair in 15 days and a marauder in a month (30 days) on top of that the payouts for the ground missions are so low that even if you are scrimping and saving you will be lucky to afford such a luxury craft

One thing you need to do ASAP is build a dedicated fighter base near the first one, on the first base ditch all but 2 hangars, one will be for the transport, one for any plane you build there. Add living quarters as necessary, and also add an additional laboratory

Have at least 4 workshops on the first base. You'll be building any plane really quick.

This takes some time, but if you focus on what really matters, it's perfectly doable.

Actually Sartha's little mod makes airbattles much harder in two ways:

Enemies like fighters and light scouts that can roll will actually evade missiles properly, even sidewinders. In vanilla I just mindlessly fire the missiles off and watch as the aliens fail to evade.

Next, alenium and above missiles and torpedoes must be produced, this costs money, takes time, and means you can't always be packing the best missiles you can load.

I switch between vanilla and modded to see what kind of things can be done to balance the game.

Yeah. There are two major downsides to the mod (also you spelt my name wrong).

1. You get waaaay too much money. Not sure if I should fix that really, folks seem to enjoy it.

2. You start to need to scroll the stores screen to see your stuff about mid-game. There are that many items you can build. I quite like this, as you get to see how far you've come (also back-up gear if you forget to build, say, plasma grenades like I do).

Yeah. There are two major downsides to the mod (also you spelt my name wrong).

1. You get waaaay too much money. Not sure if I should fix that really, folks seem to enjoy it.

Perhaps you want to tie that to difficulty level ;)

2. You start to need to scroll the stores screen to see your stuff about mid-game. There are that many items you can build. I quite like this, as you get to see how far you've come (also back-up gear if you forget to build, say, plasma grenades like I do).

Scrolling the screen was common in the original X-COM series. I do not see why people should dislike that.